Struggling with testing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Biskey, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Biskey

Biskey New Member

I tried testing for the first time yesterday it did not go well I got really frustrated. At some point I wished it was my other cat he is so much easier to handle and stays still :( unlike Biskey. But i will try again today with 26 gauge instead of 30.
    My question is i have been seeing on the forum that it could take a few days to actually get any blood from the ear. How many times a day should i be trying to lance the ear to get blood to come out when i am first starting out ?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is useful: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Warming the ear helps a lot. Many of us make what we call a "rice sock": put about 1/4 cup dry uncooked rice into the toe of an old clean sock, tie it off and warm in the microwave until it's very warm but safe for you to hold against your skin. Hold that on kitty's ear 15 - 30 seconds before poking.

Setting up a treat routine around the testing is also useful. Buy some low carb freeze dried meat of fish chunks (Pure Bites is one easy to find brand) and give as many as needed to get your kitty to be cooperative.

Djamila likes this.
  3. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I think we have all struggled with this at the beginning. I know I did. I even got a little sick to my stomach before testing I was so nervous. I promise it will get easier Keeping kitty hydrated is a big help when trying to get blood. I add a good amount of water to her food to ensure hydration. Try to stay calm. I know easier said than done. If Biskey senses you are relaxed he will relax as well.

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Kris and Lisa have already give you some great suggestions. My cat was less than cooperative with testing when we started too. I’m on my phone right now, so can’t easily cut and paste, but if you click on the blue text in my signature that says “profile” and scroll towards the end, you’ll see a description of the steps I took to train him. It took some time. Most people can move a lot faster, even with a wiggly cat. Hopefully something in there will help.

Let us know what struggles you run into and we can help find a way through them. You’ve got this!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Great suggestions here! I'd recommend if you are trying to test, only try 3 times in a row before taking a break. Give a treat, walk away and come back and try again later. By 3 tries, you both need a break! I'd also give the desensitization Djamila recommends in her profile a look...if you can follow that as many times a day as possible, that will help both of you to get used to it and help Biskey to feel good about it...then as you add in the poke it'll be less upsetting!

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I had many failed attempts that first week of testing! I'm fortunate that my diabetic is pretty chill. Some of my others were feral and have some trust issues. Lol be patient and keep at it. Get the cat used to having his ears touched first. Don't use a lancet device . Don't be afraid to poke through.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  7. Lisa and little

Omg. I wish I knew you had all that in your profile when I started. You crack me up! But such great info here...

Djamila likes this.
  8. Lisa and little

I’ve poked through to the point where I’ve gotten my own blood! Key is don’t panic. He will get used to all of it

9. Djamila

Just to clarify -- @JanetNJ, did you mean don't use the clicky lancet device? It might be hard to get a test without using a lancet ;)

10. Lisa and little

In my experience it is much easier without the device. I tried with it the first few times to no avail. I was scared to get blood without it but after day 3 I never used it again. It’s so much easier once you get over being scared to try without. Good luck. You got this!

Djamila likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Obviously yes lol

Djamila likes this.
  12. Kris & Teasel

This!

Djamila likes this.
  13. Biskey

Biskey New Member

Thanks so much for everyone's input. I was able to get a testing in with a little work and after 2 days it isn't bad at all. For Biskey it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be or as bad as it was the first day. The biggest mistake i made was trying to give her treats during the process. The treats actually made it worst she would keep trying moving and trying to get away from me to eat more treats. now she only gets one after i have pricked her and the while the monitor is giving reading.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Djamila, Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  14. Lisa and little

Yay!! Glad to hear it. I see biskey enjoyed the valentines roses? I could never have flowers in my house. They get eaten and puked up...

15. Kris & Teasel

Great report!

16. Djamila

Yay! I'm glad it went better. And every test you get makes the next test easier. Their ears get better at bleeding, we get calmer and more skilled at testing, and in no time it will be no big deal at all. :):cat::)