Sub Q fluids ………I Did It!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gail & Houdini (GA), Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Um…well sort of anyway.

I had two glasses of wine, got everything ready, warmed he fluids and got the cat. DH was at the front to keep him from walking away I poked him (ewww) and he didn’t even notice until the fluids went in and then he jumped out from under the needle. Got him in position again, told DH that was what he was there for ……... Poked again with no problem but it went out the other side, backed the needle off and fluids into cat!!! I’m feeling pretty elated about then and my sweet, docile tuxie boy started growling (in 17 years I’ve never heard him growl) and then he fastened his teeth into DH’s hand ! Naturally DH let go and the cat jumped out from under the needle. Well by that time we have a totally irritated wet cat, fluids squirting all over the counter and two absolutely stunned beans! Over all I think he got about half of what he was supposed to ….but it’s a start.

Maybe…… Unless Squeak remembers all this tomorrow ……..

Thanks everyone for all the great tips and suggestions! I’ll try them all and see what works ….. we’ll figure this out one way or another, I hope.

BTW – how to you tell if the fluids are warm enough? The outside temp of the bag isn’t the same as it’s contents

Thanks!

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Open up the line and let it run a little, then run it on your arm. Make sure you are getting the fluids from the bag to test for warmth, not what is already in the line. Also, once the needle is in, if it is going slow pull up the skin so it will flow faster. Nerve wracking doing it for the first time on a "new" kitty.

Hope hubby's hand is okay.

3. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

clothespin trick can calm them down during fluid administration: http://www.felinecrf.org/giving_sub-qs_syringe.htm#clothes_peg_trick

other trick is to wrap cat like a burrito so all legs are covered and can't move.

best trick for me is some well-loved treats while you're giving the fluids, and a lot of praise, just like when we're first pricking their ears.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

After a couple times, both mine got used to it and I am sure they remembered that they felt better after getting the fluids.

I noticed they like the smaller gauge needle and I do too; the larger one has to hurt going in as I can feel the crunch, but the smaller one is closer to the regular insulin ones. The fluids are slower going in, but who cares? It's not a race and why rush. You can also adjust the wheel on the tubing, and you can lower the bag too to slow down the flow. The flow does make a difference as I have tried to speed up the input by squeezing the bag and they notice, squirming to show their displeasure. I just take my time and spend it talking and patting.

It's not a surprise for any kitty to take off when they get fluids the first time; I imagine it's got to feel weird and not like something they think is enjoyable, but in time, they get used to it and so will you.

The end result is kitty is healthier after - best of luck on the next time.

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Also, bribery with treats works wonders. To keep my cats in place I either place their treats or food bowl in front of them. Usually they are so busy chowing down that they do not notice the fluids.

6. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I was laughing when I read your post, because we just started giving Blackie fluids a couple of months ago and went through a similar trial. Blackie, who is the best sweetie ever, also growls sometimes and sometimes turns around puts my finger in his mouth, but he's never broken the skin. The trick that has worked the best for us it treats. I give a couple after he's sitting on my lap and then I poke him and stroke his head & neck to keep him calm while the fluids are going in. Then he gets a treat at the end. Tonight when he saw me coming with the treats & IV set/bag he started talking and stood up to get get in my lap. So you'll get there - it just takes practice. BTW -I've found it easier to keep Blackie in my lap.

7. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Good job

When I started, Merlyn would get lured to a pillow in the kitchen for a treat (the other cats would attack him if he hissed at me and I didnt know if he would hiss.) Then he got a treat half way, and another when the needle came out. About the 3rd time, I put the pillowin the kitchen and looked for Merlyn..no Merlyn. Where is he? I thought he knew it was going to happen and was hiding. NOPE. He was already on the pillow waiting for his treat! Very similar to the sugar dance. They also recognize it makes them feel better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.