Sub q help please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sherrib, Oct 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

I have to give Skittles 100 cc of subq and I’m so nervous! Haven’t had to do this is YEARS. Please help me, need tips and advice.

Had to rush him to the vet twice today, I have it all explain under ... 911, food recall? ( I need to change that title now )

I’m so worried and scared!

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Marje, I believe, made a video on how to give subq fluids. Hang on a minute, I'll look for it.

Jeff D / Sketch likes this.
  3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Here you go. If your cat is feeling unwell, do warm the fluids first. Cold fluids can be a bit of a shock to the system that a sick cat doesn't need right now.

how to give subq fluids at home

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

This is my fave video about giving sub q's

5. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

Thank you so much!

6. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I kind of skimmed through the video and wow, lots of cool tips and tricks in there! I didn’t see how to hold the kitty while giving fluids (maybe I missed it) but you can bring kitty to a table and hug kitty close to your chest so they don’t move while you give fluids. One hand around the kitty, their head/front on the inside of your elbow, and holding the needle in place and the other holding up the bag and squeezing.

If you also find the fluids not going in at a good rate, you can move the needle, while it’s still in the skin tent, about 20 degrees to find another skin pocket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.