Subq question & UPDATE

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sherrib, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

last night I was told I could give to much subq.
    Does it matter what kind I’m giving him. He is getting lacatated ringers 1000ml bag.
    I’m so confused, vet told me again to do it at twice a day right now . BUT not the second dose until all the first is completely gone and told me where to check. Skittles isn’t drinking .

Update- no crystals , some bacteria in urine going to start on antibiotics. But I did suck up some blood off the floor.... I know I was just so desperate about getting enough to test since he was only dripping blood and it took me over an hour to get maybe 3 mL

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Lactated Ringers is what most of us use for fluids.

Your vet is just wrong about the amount.....too much fluid puts a lot of strain on the heart so I'd stick to 100ml -150ml per day unless he's horribly dehydrated (and if he's that bad, he probably needs to be at the vet for closer monitoring)

A BUN of 33 isn't really anything to worry about at this point.....a high protein diet, being dehydrated and several other things can cause the BUN to be elevated.

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
  3. sherrib

Probably 33 due to dehydration and a UTI. I still only feed FF pate and Friskies pate
    Thank you for your help .

4. sherrib

I gave him around 150 this AM, BUT out of amount some poured out on the floor cause I pulled the needle out and couldn’t get it turned off in time. I don’t know how much comes out when it’s open on full blast. He got it at 9:30 AM

He ate but I didn’t see him drink any water yet :(
    Last night when he got from the vet, he drank a lot of water even after getting subq at the vet

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

150ml ( even with spillage) is too much for one go.

It would be best spread out, giving 75ml twice a day.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just how much did the vet tell you go give (assuming that previous one was totally absorbed) each time twice a day?
    I have know some cats rightfully giving 200 ml per day. For an amount like that 100 ml twice daily would be better than 200 ml in one sitting.

7. sherrib

She said give 100 mls twice a day. I lost fluid on the floored and I pushed the needle THREW the tent so fluid was coming out. Pulled back the needle so I really don’t not think he got 150 cc, that’s how much the bag measured when I was done.
    I know I did a sloppy job because I was rushing really bad.
    Last night I did perfect but didn’t give him much at all. The fluid line was still right under the words lactated Ringer’s.Gave him about the size of a goose egg.

As I type this out, he is drinking from his water bowl. He got a pain Med injection almost a hour ago and has drank from his bowl 4 times in the last 30 mins. Prior to the injection I couldn’t get him drink since around 8:00 PM last night ( he could’ve have drank when I wasn’t in the room) but since he was back to only passing drops of bloody urine & not a stream I don’t think he drank much or any.
    A few hours after his subq this AM, I saw him having a stream of bloody urine again.
    I got all his test results and I’m going to post them w a update in a new thread.

8. sherrib

Last night and this morning was the first time I’ve done any subq in about 5 years. I have to figure out a way to see the bag better so I can see how much is coming out. I have it hanging from a hanger on the top of my door and I’m on the floor. And I have it wide open because he kept trying to get up. If I need to do it again, I will just stand up and look. Or do you have any tips?

9. sherrib

Are there different strength of Lactated ringers ?

10. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I have hung it on the doorknob so I could still see on the floor.

11. sherrib

I will try it, thought the higher the better unless it’s being squeezed

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  12. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Mine will run fast on the door knob. The bag is higher than the needle so should work good. :)

13. sherrib

Thank you, thank goodness he has stopped bleeding, back to drinking water and urinating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.