Success! Paw Test reading! Have questions...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bonnie & Kyndra, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

I had trouble earlier but was able to get a paw test reading with the Lancing Device of the One Touch Mini. Here is the quick history

Kyndra just started insulin this morning on Lantus 1 unit. I was unable to get any readings. This reading was 245 (before her meal).
    I was told to give her insulin every 12 hours and that will not be until 10:30 tonight so I only gave her half her meal now. I will give the rest later, then insulin, then test again.

Is this going to really mess things up? They do not get fed 12 hours apart so it is unrealistic to give her insulin right after she is fed (I am sure I am not alone in this).

I am also wondering about accuracy of meters. I thought I came across and article somewhere in my wanderings but not sure where so if someone can direct me to a thread or article that'd be great as I am sure this has been addressed many times.

Thanks!
    Bonnie & Kyndra

p.s. I have a class tonight but will try to get started on the spreadsheet ASAP

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I think this is why many people on this board free feed. My Oscar will eat what ever I put down when I put it down, so I have an automatic feeder on order that will give a smaller 'snack' mid day and mid night, but I plan on giving the main meals 12 hours apart. Hope this helps.

3. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Hello!!
    I have a link comparing the different bg meters:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3030

If I understand everything I have read, the personal meters can vary as much as 20%, but in the grand scheme of things, its not much of a difference unless you are looking at very high/low numbers. My vet told me that in her experience the difference is more like 30%. However, that is comparing the ear nick technique to drawing directly from a vein.

As far as feeding, most here seem to 'free feed'. This means that they feed their kitties at the 12/12 schedule, but also leave food out for grazing. Others use timed feeders, and some freeze small meals to leave out and thaw during the day, it just depends on your schedule/preference.

Congrats on getting a paw test!! Whatever method you use, it will certainly help you treat Kyndra!

4. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

Does a pre-shot reading have to be Pre-Meal as well? I am assuming not since so many of you let your cats graze. I was trying to get a pre-shot test this morning but Kyndra will have none of it (of ANYTHING!) until she has her food in the morning. Sort of like me until I have my coffee! lol! As for the accuracy I guess at least I can get consistency with this one. I will read that article.

As for grazing, she is a vacuum cleaner cat and will definitely over eat. I work from home so am here and can monitor intake and they are pretty much used to getting fed 2x, but I do see your point. I may have to make some feeding adjustments as we adjust to this whole new lifestyle.

Once I changed her diet back in September she lost a couple lbs over time. She had an "episode" last week which the doc said was pancreatitis and when they weighed her she was only 8.5lbs (she had been almost 12 back in Sept.) I was shocked she had lost THAT much! I have a little Russian Blue who only weighs 7 and Kyndra is a bigger Torti.

Thanks again! I know so much of this is repeated info for newbies and I am trying to read all the articles and stickies but there is just SO much!

5. Complick8d

Complick8d Well-Known Member

Pre-shot reading is supposed to be pre-meal. It's generally recommended on the board to remove food 2 hours before the test.

Congrats on the paw pad test. Willow is paw tested. :)

6. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

thanks for that info! I have not been successful since. Now it seems I cannot get a big enough drop or when I do and reach for the meter she moves and it smears! ugh! I guess it will all come in time. I tried the ear again but just can't quite seem to get the hang of it. I have tried with both the lancing device and w/o.

7. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Actually....

I think it is perfectly acceptable to feed and then test.

Jen

8. Sabrina's Mom

Sabrina's Mom New Member

I read somewhere on this site I think (lol, I've been reading so much in so many places) that a good way to see if your meter is accurate is to test your cat at home right before taking her the vet for them to test. I'm planning on doing that today. Also, my test offers control test solutions but I haven't ordered those yet (the Rite Aid store brand meter-forget the actual name right now). But 20-30% difference seems like a big difference to me (I get 140 & my vet can get 182? yuck)

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Testing before taking a cat to the vet to compare the BG with what is obtained by the vet is not really a good idea. For many cats, just going to the vet will raise the BG. The best way is to take meter to the vet and test at the same time the vet draws blood for his test. If the vet draws veinous blood you can use that blood. However, there is a small difference between veinous blood and the capillary blood you get from he ear.

10. keokie

keokie New Member

keokie was diagnosed a year ago april.He has yet to be regulated.Ihave the alpha trak montering meter fo bgr.I used vetsuline,lantus and now prozince.keokie has put up with a lot of ear pricking ,they are a mess. IWOULD LIKE ANY INFO ON PAW TESTING .

11. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

Hi,

Someone gave me this link on another thread http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-ear.htm and here is the thread in case there is something there, too that might be helpful for you http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-ear.htm. I have not had much success as it is a tough area and cannot seem to get a big enough drop fast enough but I guess it will take time and patience on both our parts! The article is helpful (scroll down to paw part).

Good luck!

12. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

Have you ever tried holding a flashlight up behind your cats ear to see where the veins actually are? That really helps a lot once you can visualize them.

13. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

I can see the veins, I think it is the the angle of the needle I am not quite getting right as I get no or little blood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.