Sucralfate & Anemic Kitties?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by chriscleo, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

Cleo's on chemo for lymphoma. Onco vet says she's now anemic, so she's taking 1/4 tablet of sucralfate BID. sometimes she feels a little sick afterward. anyone else ever use this and did it help with the anemia?
    vet says she thinks the most likely culprit for the anemia is the prednisolone but i'm wondering whether the chemo (CCNU) could be contributing to it.

she's been on chemo for 5 months or so now (memory sketchy) and gets her first follow-up ultrasound on jan 17 (had one just before she started chemo).

instructions are to give sucralfate at least 1/2 hr away from food or medicine. i'm giving it to her by pulverizing the 1/4 pill and mixing it into a tiny bit of water then using an eye dropper to get her to take it. tried it in yogurt and baby food first and it was not a success.

to recap, questions are: (1) could the anemia come from the CCNU or is prednisolone the likelier culprit (any others), and (2) how do you administer sucralfate to your kitty and did it stop anemia for him/her?

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

I can't help about the sulcrafate but just wanted to say Spazzie went anemic too. her pcv (? i think that's the measurement) went to 26 when we caught it. she dropped as low as 18 at one point but then we started this other stuff and it came back up to 26 and pretty much hovered there the rest of the time.

we tried getting her to eat some liver and stuff like that which she would only do occasionally. we also started pet-tinic, b12 injections, and this one supplement the oncologist suggested. it's called Ferrofood and if by any chance you want to try it, i've got most of a bottle full left. heck, for that matter i've another supplement too, Onco Support by Rx Vitamins, and probably half a bottle of pet tinic left too.

if you want to look into any of that stuff and want me to send any of it up your way, let me know.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sulcrafate is an anti-ulcer med. It works by coating the ulcerated area protecting it from stomach acid and thus allowing the ulcer to heal. Sometimes ulcers bleed causing/contributing to anemia. Thus, the sulcrafate should help with anemia if the anemia is caused by a bleeding ulcer,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.