Sudden number plunge - normal?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meleksmommy, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

Hi all,

Melek has been improving each day since we've had him on 1u of ProZinc 2x day. His numbers over the past week started in the 300s but have been steady between 100-200 for the past 3-4 days. Today, his nadir was 77. He seems perfectly fine and is behaving normally, but 77 seems low. Is this okay?

Thanks for your help!

Jody & Melek

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

That's a fantastic number! Sometimes it takes a week or more for the cat's body to begin "using" the insulin. Looks like the PZI is starting to work its magic!

You don't need to worry unless you see numbers in the 40's. And since the 70 is his nadir number, he shouldn't go any lower. (Although every cat is different, and you might do another test in 30-60 minutes, just to be sure he is heading up.)

3. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

That's a relief! I re-tested him about 2 hours later and he was up to 88. He's due for his evening dose of PZI in an hour, though, and I am not sure if I should give him the entire 1u... maybe just 1/2? Thanks for your help!

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I used PZI several years ago so you may want to specifically ask for PZI advice, but I wouldn't give any insulin under 200 unless you have a lot of data and know what he will do. If he is under 200 at shot time, you can wait 30 minutes, test again and see if he has moved up enough for a shot.

5. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

He was up at 102 by dinner/shot time. He seems like he feels fine, even extra cuddly (I'm hoping extra-cuddly isn't a hypo symptom?!).

This whole thing did make me realize, though, that I don't know what a hypo reaction would be like (I'm guessing obvious, though). Is there a thread that describes the symptoms?

6. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

extra cuddly at bg 102 sounds like a happy kitty.

here's a sheet to print out :

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1122

Good idea to print out and keep on your fridge ( so if you aren't home someone else can easily see)
    and to have a copy with your hypo tool kit.

Here's how to make your hypo tool kit (which everyone shooting insulin should make and have easily available) :

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2354

7. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

Thanks, Cheryl - we have those items on hand, and will keep a kit ready at all time. Very helpful! Melek is up at 202 this morning, but has had his dose and is doing well. :razz:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.