Suddenly higher than usual bg tests

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kait & Peanut, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kait & Peanut

Kait & Peanut Member

Peanut recently dropped his preshot numbers to lower 200s. Then he went up to high 200s. Today, I'm expecting his PMPS test to be in the 300s.

I don't think those numbers are bad considering some spreadsheets I've read, but he is feeling crummy. He's just laying on the floor not really doing much. It's just obvious he's not doing as well today with the highs. When he gets like this, it's common for him to have pee accidents while sleeping. I hate to see him feeling sick.

Should he really feel this bad in the 200s? Is this a bounce because he had a few really good days? Does his dosing seem okay?

2. Lilly’s Mom

Lilly’s Mom Member

I wish Lilly had that kind of consistency and I could keep her out of the red and black numbers. When she does manage to stay in the yellow/blue/green, she still sleep most of the day....but she prowls at night so I think she is a true nocturnal. She just sleeps a lot in the day. She will wake up and play if I go over with her toys but mostly, she sleeps. Is your Peanut up a lot at night?

3. Kait & Peanut

Kait & Peanut Member

Peanut has never been highly active. He's always been a cuddler. Since the diabetes started, he doesn't cuddle. He just lays on the floor and looks sad. He only moves a few feet in a day now and it's to drink or pee.

I can't imagine what he'd be like past the 300s! It's so bad in the 300s that I've had to call my mom in tears once believing he was near death and she had to spend the night. He gets so bad that he pees big puddles while sleeping and gets it all over his fur.

What levels are bad? I mean, I'm liking the low 200s for preshots since he grooms himself again now and doesn't pee in his sleep. He still has minor pee accidents in front of the litterboxes and he chugs water. I know ideal we're aiming for green, but I don't know how to get him there.

4. Lilly’s Mom

Lilly’s Mom Member

I honestly don't know. Maybe someone with more experience can answer. Lilly routinely goes over 300. I struggle to keep her away from the black (over 500). She is getting much better at being out of the black but she is in the reds too much for my liking. It doesn't seem to affect her activity though. She also does not pee all over like she did when she was first diagnosed. Now, she drinks and pees normally in her box or outside. She does like to go out for an hour or two in the evening so we sit outside together and she wanders around the yard. Luckily, she is not a wanderer and I stay with her so she gets her fun outdoor time.

5. Kait & Peanut

Kait & Peanut Member

He's doing better today. He got 2 fur shots in a row, but this even he finally got a good shot. He even rested on the bed for awhile tonight.

I think my injection technique needs work. I'm still kind of winging it. Peanut doesn't like injections and he hates ear pricks. I don't want to keep missing with his insulin. The vet has me tenting skin on his back and I only have 2 shaved spots to use. I don't care try anything else.

He's still chugging water. No accidents, surprisingly. So it seems he's doing better on his insulin than I realized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.