Sue and Ruben PMPS 352- high #s question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by sue1, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sue1

sue1 New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I am hoping you can help. A few weeks ago I started getting some nice numbers (green and blues)....150 and lower. Recently, my cat is back into the 300's and only dropping to the mid- 200's. The only thing that has changed is I have added the Friskies Special Diet (turkey) and also the Special Diet (beef and chicken) and some FF beef and chicken. and have left food in a auto feeder for him at night. Also still feeding Wellness. All are supposed to be low in carbs. He has gotten into one of the other cats dry food a few days ago, but the increasing # preceeded that. Any ideas? Should I increase his dose? I had lowered it to 2.25 once he hit double digits and went down to 50. Now I am back up to 2.50 but see no change. Any answers or insights would be helpful. Thank you.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... xUkE&hl=en

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would be very uncomfortable making much of a recommendation. You have, almost literally, no PM spot checks. This amounts to having half of the data missing. There is no way to know whether Ruben is getting lower numbers in the evening and rebounding during the day. If this is the case, raising his dose would be problematic and make the bouncing worse. The best I can suggest is that you start getting PM data and post here on a regular basis.

If I recall correctly, Jill had asked that you start getting, at the minimum, before bed checks. (I may not be remembering accurately, but weren't you going to move your shot times earlier so you could get PM checks?)

3. sue1

sue1 New Member

yes, i am trying to move the times earlier but a bunch of conflicts have prevented me from doing so. hope to do that now so i can check before bedtime...with at least +3 info. that would certainly help i know.

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

The importance of Spot Checks

Hi Sue

I have to agree with Sienne... if u look at around at some other spreadsheets, u will likely see it to be very common for kitties to get lower numbers in the PM cycle. Without that data - which is so valuable - it's just really really difficult to know how your cat is doing on the insulin with only day time checks.

IF you have a late shot time in the evening, u can grab a before bed test.

I went on about this a while ago about spot checks in my condo - do u get up in the middle of the nite? To get a glass of water? To use the bathroom? Anything - just grab Ruben - poke, and u got urself a spotcheck! Low number? Follow the guidelines.
    Safe number? Note it down to add to ur SS later, then back to bed.

Even on weekends, days off, holidays, u really need these night time checks. I hope it works out for u, and I'm glad to see u posting.

5. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Hi Sue: I can only reinforce what the 2 Ronnie's have stated. Have you been posting daily (opening a condo for Ruben). Without information, it is really difficult to know what is going on. I know, life sometimes to get in the way but I guess this needs to be part of "getting in the way". I'm sure if you can provide additional information and daily condo you will be able to help Ruben. Good luck. Hope to see you soon.

6. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sue! :smile:
    With no BG tests mid cycle you really don['t know if Reuben is going into lower numbers...
    (I am kind of a testaholic myself :mrgreen: ) and only by getting the data are you able to really see the big picture....
    Sometimes, after getting a blue or green, their livers react to the sudden low number by giving off those hormones
    that raise the BGs...so the high numbers in that case are from the bounce that this causes....

I know that dry food can cause a rise in the BGs also...diet is so important. maybe if you come and open a thread (condo) each
    day and reporting the AMPS and PMPS numbers as well as your spot checks, we can get a better picture of what is going on during the cycles with Reuben....any questions you have should be included in the one daily condo...read some of the others and you will get a good idea of the best way to do it....

Look forward to seeing you around, k? :smile:

7. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Hey Sue, :smile: Good to see you here!

I agree with the others - testing is of utmost importance to be able to determine the correct dose to give. If you are going to be moving your shot time, do remember that an early shot is equal to a dose increase and a late shot is equal to a dose decrease. Moving by 15 minutes per cycle is the easiest way to not cause a great effect to cycles following a time change. If you need help setting up a plan to change times, please do post and let us know. Someone would always be happy to assist.

Looking forward to seeing you post often!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.