Sugar-free hairball remedy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by squeem3, Mar 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Here are the ingredients
    PRODUCT FACTS
    Active Ingredients per 1/4 Teaspoon (1.25g):

Mineral Oil………….………………......237 mg
    Petrolatum……………………….…......237 mg
    Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose…...100 mg

Inactive Ingredients:Glycerin, Malt Flavor, Malt Powder, Salmon Flavor, Salt, Sorbitol, Water

3. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

4. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

and searching about sorbitol brought up this:

"Sorbitol is sometimes a component of canned cat foods. Sorbitol is a low-calorie sugar substitute. ... In small amounts, sorbitol appears to be harmless for cats. However, sorbitol cannot be absorbed in the cat's intestines during digestion; in large amounts it may cause gas and diarrhea.
    Cats & Sorbitol - Pets

https://pets.thenest.com/cats-sorbitol-11950.html"

5. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

The main ingredients on this product are mineral oil, and petrolatum which is vaseline.
    Rather than feed the cat all the extras and artificial things in this, if they don't like plain vaseline (my cats would actually shove their heads in the jar to eat it if I had it down low by them), what about just mixing a touch of their favorite food or treats or broth into some vaseline and using that? Flavored with something they like, but no artificial and extra ingredients.

Mimis mom likes this.
  6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My Dulce loves petrolatum.I have an empty strip container filled with to uses to lightly coat the ear before pricking. If I leave the container open, Dulce will find it and eat/lick what he can from the container.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.