Sugar problems

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Danielle and George, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danielle and George

Danielle and George New Member

Hello all!

My cat George is 15 and has been successfully food controlled for a year and a half now. He just spent five days at a friend's house and came home with out of wack blood sugars. I don't usually test him since he has been so good for so long. He just won't eat and has been laying around all day more than usual. I just tested him and he was 205. Normally he is in the 90s. How can I get him to eat? Do I need to take him to the vet for some emergency insulin? (I don't have it anymore!) Any ideas??

Thanks!
    Danielle

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What happened at your friends? Was he eating dry there since his regular food was not available? The BG 0f 205 is not a concern for a while. The problem is him not eating. Have you tried various canned foods?

3. Danielle and George

My friend has a teenage cat that followed him constantly. She had different food but I asked her to at least mix them if she couldn't keep them separated during feeding, so I know he did get other food. I feed him Wellness normally.

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hi Danielle

welcome to the FDMB!

other options to get kitties to eat is fish flavours, unless he's allergic, tuna juice and tuna, you could also try cooked chicken or these treats called freeze dried chicken or beef.

What do u feed at home? Maybe find out what your friends fed him and for future visits, let them know that you cat is on a strict diet to control blood sugars.

:)

5. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

My two love angels ate, but we had difficulty switching Baby to canned - FortiFlora worked for us - Purina makes it - you can buy online or call the 800 # & they will let you know a Vet in your area who carries it.
    Not expensive or a RX, so typically easy to get. Sprinkle some on & Baby was hooked. We only had to use it a few times. However, others suggested (which did not work for us) but might work for you:
    Sprinkle Parmesean Cheese on the canned.
    Make a "kitty shake" get a can of food & mix it with a few tablespoons of water, mix & you have a gravy consistency - which they lap up.
    Hopefully, this helps - let us know.... :?:

6. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

This concerns me.

How long has it been since he's been home. If you brought him home an hour before posting this, that isn't as concerning as if you brought him home two days ago.

If it is the former, if he isn't eating and back to his old self after a day, I'd see a vet. If it is the latter then I'd be going to the vet right now.

I wouldn't think it is the bgs that are causing the problem, but is a symptom of what is causing the not eating and laying around.

I recently had to bring my eldest into the vet. Ollie stopped eating, was meatloafing and wasn't his grumpy ol self. I tested his bgs (he is not diabetic) and they were in the 200s. When he finally came out of it (I think there was a problem with the food since several other cats had issues shortly afterwards) his bg returned to 60

Connie

7. Danielle and George

He has been home for a day before he stopped eating. Now he will eat just a tiny bit but I noticed he threw up a few splats of foam during the night. I think I will have to bring him in for a look see.

Thanks again!
    Danielle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.