sugar tester?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dajamster, Sep 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dajamster

Dajamster New Member

My sister's cat Hates going to the vet to get his sugar tested. So I'm going to get a tester & try to do this at home.

I'm hoping to find one that is extremely user-friendly & not too pricey. Any suggestions?

2. Jenn P.

Jenn P. New Member

3. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

The AlphaTrak glucometer is good in the sense that it is calibrated for pets and generally matches the numbers the vet will have. The downside to it is the meter itself costs about $50 and the strips are $50 for 50 strips, so when you are testing 2 or more times per day, that adds up quickly. What many vets won't say is that you can use human meters at much less cost. I personally use the Contour Next glucometer and get decently priced strips on Ebay. I know many people here use the Relion meter from Walmart, as you can buy the meter for about $14 and strips are pretty cheap as well. Just get one that requires the smallest size blood drop (0.3 uL).

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I use an alpha track, but at a dollar pet strip expect to spend about $100 -150 per month on strips.

Most on here use the relion micro or confirm meter which are human meters, so they run different from the vet, but are much less expensive (1/3 the price of the Alphatrak).either type of meter will be able to tell you if the cat is high or low.

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    JeffJ likes this.
  5. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

An alternative. I use AlphaTrak. But I use FreeStyle Lite test strips. I get the strips off ebay for ~$0.40 each, or less if you buy several hundred. I like the tester, and the results are accurate with the other strips.

Janet's video on how to test a kitteh is very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.