Suggest heating pad source for arthritis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy and Kitty, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Kitty has mild arthritis. The Cosequin helps only mildly. We may move to Adequan. But in the meantime...

Right now, we have one of those pads in Kitty's bed that is self-reflecting -- no electricity in it. We add a nice toasty warm sock at night, but of course that wears off fairly quickly.

Can someone recommend a good, non-fire hazard heating source that is safe to use in a cat bed?

2. Ruthe and Smokey (GA)

Ruthe and Smokey (GA) Member

One of our kitties, Wheezer, has really bad arthritis...I bought a couple of Snuggle Safe discs that all of the cats appreciate this winter. She will stand up in her kitty bed to let us know she needs a new one heated up! Here is a link...

http://www.entirelypets.com/snugglesafe.html

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

On top of heat, I also highly recommend ortho-beds and adding a few ramps or pet stairs to help with getting around. I've found pet stairs at Walgreens pharmacy for as cheap as $20, they aren't the tallest, but they help with getting onto couches.

Petedge.com has some orthobeds pretty cheap.

Dasequin worked better for Henry than the Cosequin, same company made it, I think it just had a little more kick to it.

4. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Pet stairs are probably more attractive than the boxes we have everywhere. A box to the couch, a box to his window seat, a box to his porch seat.... Really pleased to hear Walgreens has affordable ones. We've used boxes because the stairs in catalogs are so expensive (and he has a lot of seats :D ).

The orthobeds look like memory foam...? We have offered Kitty memory foam, but he seems to find it too squishy. I'll try again.

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

My vet swears by magnetic beds for arthritic pets....

6. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

7. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I second the Snuggle Safes. You warm them in the microwave and they stay warm for 8 - 12 hours. Really convenient and no worries about burning or fires.

8. SherylandClouseau

SherylandClouseau Member

Snuggle safe

Jeffers has them usually. They were just the thing for Clouseau- he absolutely LOVED it.

9. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.