Suggestion for insulin shots....Timmie can't stand them

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jo-Anne Croghan, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jo-Anne Croghan

Jo-Anne Croghan New Member

Hi everyone. Timmie was diagnosed with diabetes in February, and he is doing pretty well, and has regained about 3 pounds. He receives 5 units of insulin twice a day. Because of his temperament, I check his glucose once or twice a week. I also monitor water consumption, appetite, attitude, etc. He does not like being handled, and I have made the decision that I am only going to check his glucose weekly or as needed. His glucose level at home is in the low 200's. The vet has been happy with his readings.

My approach with Timmie is to unfortunately catch him off gaurd for his injections. He is especially suspicious for his morning injection. I have a treat and food all set up for when I give him his injections. I even try and warm up the syringe by my hands for a couple of minutes. When I do get him he will vocalize, and keep moving. I know others have said the injection does not hurt, but I am not so sure about this. It also does not help that he is a moving target. I have not missed an injection yet, but this has to improve for both of us.

Can I leave him in peace at meal time, and inject him later? I have had to do this. If so, what is an acceptable gap between the injection and meal time?

Any suggestions....I have reviewed other posts about tricks others have used, and it did refresh my memory.

Has anybody had any experience with needleless approaches to this, and if so the cost.
    Again, thank you for your time, care, and knowledge. I feel as if I am torturing this cat!

2. KJC80

KJC80 Member

I wait about 20-30 minutes after feeding to give the injection. He sometimes meows a little as the needle goes in, but mostly doesn't notice it. I distract him by breaking up a freeze-dried chicken breast treat and giving that to him on the floor. It positions him in such a way that it's easier for me to tent his skin and give the insulin without manhandling him. Toby knows the routine now and comes for his tests and injections when I shake the bag of treats. I use the same place in the house for the BG tests and injections. I think making a repetitive routine helps, so they know what to expect. I hope Timmie starts to give you an easier time!

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

What insulin are you using? Some sting when you hit 5 units like Vetsulin or Lantus. I shoot when Olive is actually eating. She is food possessed so I can do just about anything as long as her face is in the bowl. It's puts her in the perfect position as I shoot sides of chest. She has little scruff and long fur so it's to hard th try for scruff. I part her fur with a comb and shoot the pink skin that shows. She never knows as she is to busy eating.

4. Jo-Anne Croghan

It is Vetsulin

5. Jo-Anne Croghan

It was easier to get ahold of the fur when Timmie had lost the weight. The fur is soft and a little slippery, making it a little harder to find a scruff. The sides are out of the question because there is nothing to grab there due to short slippery fur, and a lot of muscle. I did not know that Vetsulin stung. He squrims, and sometimes growls, or a mild yowl, but has never tried to bite. He only has four teeth anyways. I just have to determine can my technique be improved?

Are there other insuluns which do not sting as much? Or the option of a needleless injection. Of course, he still needs to stay put.

Concerning Timmie's temperament, he was an a tom cat, not neutered, about 2 when took him. He is loving on his terms.

When he was diagnosed. I received minimal inforamtion from the vet. I did not even know about the bevel needing to face upwards. Most of the information I have learned has been via this site, for which I am very appreciative, yet disappointed in the vet since the explanations were so limited for such a serious condition.

I hope everyone has a happy and safe day!

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Vetsulin is probably stinging or burns at that dose. If it's a possibility you might discuss with your vet about changing to a different insulin. I believe Novolin does. I don't know if Prozinc stings or burns. Lantus is usually well accepted at that dose. When Olive hit 8 u of Lantus it started to bother her.

If the cost is an issue, getting it from Canada or Alan in the supply closet is extremely cost effective compared to getting it in the States. You can get 15 cc (box of 5 pens) for under $200. Canada you need a script for, Alan you don't. It will last depending on dose, many many months if kept in refrigerator. Expiration is usually 2 yrs out.

7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I can't recommend not testing but I'm more than lucky to have had two cats that just sit there and let me poke holes in them. I know it isn't always like the videos when they want to bite your finger off.
    What lancets and syringes do you use and where do you inject?
    ear_001.JPG injsitesforcats1.jpg bd_lance01.jpg

Anne Biddle likes this.
  8. Daunte'

Daunte' New Member

My Daunte just got diagnosed 2 weeks ago. He is starting on very low Vetsulin shots, 2 units. The Vet did tell me never use the scruff of the neck, but to go a couple inches back since the neck area has many nerves. He told me to alternate sides to avoid soreness. The needles are 29g. Compared to getting blood, insulin has been easy. I can do it while he eats and he doesnt seem to notice. Hope this helps somebody.

9. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Noah lays on his side and gets a 29 gauge in the flank above where his knee would be. He is a long hair, I use 1/2" needles that I couldn't use on his scruff. I can't remember the last time I had a fur shot.

10. Jo-Anne Croghan

The syringe used is Monoject U-40 1mL Insulin Syringe. The lancet used is the one used with Alpha Trac. It is a trigger type lancet. What I have to do test his BG is set him on a beach towel on the sofa, swaddle him, and then test him.
    Because he can be difficult, we have decided to not test him daily. If I did, he will avoid me, trust will be eroded, and I will have a more difficult time.

He also gets plenty of positive reinforcement between the injections. Pets really don't understand why twice or more a day, they are stuck with the syringe or lancet. Up to a year ago, I could not even get him in a pet carrier for vet visits, so we have actually come a long way. I am also planning on purchasing Feliway, and see if that helps. For those with cooperative pets, count your blessings!

11. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

Lucy is a similar type of kitty, tried different syringes and spots along the scruff until we finally found out what worked best for us. Now shots are routine, testing is another story.

12. Jo-Anne Croghan

That is encouraging. With the testing there are videos available on line. I was not successful with the testing at first, but now I think I have a handle on it. I just am not doing it as often as I would like, because of his temperament. I was led to believe I had to use the U-40 syringe for the VetSulin I am using.

13. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

U-40 is the correct syringe. But there are lots of different brands and needle sizes and lengths. I found Lucy reacted differently to different ones. Some seemed like they hurt when going in, others didn't. I believe sharpness is more important than gauge. And too long a needle can poke past the sub q layer and touch the muscle and that hurts.

Lucy doesn't like to be picked up or held tight so it was a matter of finding a way that she would sit still and I could inject her without restraining her.

14. Jo-Anne Croghan

15. Jo-Anne Croghan

Do you have any names of the other brands of syringes. I have been using Monject 28 gauge. In your opinion, is sharper better?

16. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

Monoject, BD, UtiCare. Look for something with a double bevel. I use a 3/10 ml 31 gauge 5/16(8mm) length.

17. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

the numbers 28 represents the needle width. You can try gauge 30 or 31 instead - the smaller ones.

I'd like to encourage you to try home testing using free hand method with gauge 28 - 30 lancets, like Relion from Walmart.
    The one you are currently using might be a little too big.
    Giving dose blindly without checking the current BG level might lead to Hypoglycemia, a potentially fatal situation.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  18. Jo-Anne Croghan

19. Jo-Anne Croghan

My Alpha Trak BGM was purchased last year and it is just called Alpha Trak. When I went online to order more strips, I am only seeing Alpha Trak 2 meters and strips. Will the Alpha Trak 2 strips work with the Alpha Trak glucometer? Are there are other brands of strips which are compatible with Alpha Trak?

I will check out the lancets mentioned in the previous post. I am also going to try and experiment with different syringe sizes. Is anyone aware of a web site to
    order the syringes which do not require a prescription. I am from Georgia.

To update on Timmie, he is doing fine. I am hoping that if I can improve his comfort level, he will become more cooperative. One day at a time! Thank you.

20. beggargirl

beggargirl Member

My cat used to run from injections after a while and I found out that I the spot I had been always injecting in must have been bruised or sore, because as soon as I switched spots he stopped running away. After that discovery I altered injection sites more frequently, especially if he started getting reluctant at injection time.

21. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

ADW diabetes on the net. Or get a prescription from your vet if that is required to shop locally for syringes in your state.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.