Suggestions for Vet Visit

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Coco’s Momma, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Here's the background: Since Coco's vet visit a month ago, we have switched from Hills w/d dry food to Hills w/d wet food and have eased to Merrick's duck pate. She's doing very well with wet food and only eats a tablespoon of dry kibble during the night. I've noticed a BIG difference in her. She has more energy and is back to her cheery/sassy self. But when she has a full dose (3 units) of Humulin, she is very lethargic. So ... I've been giving her 1 unit twice a day. I'm gone for 12 hrs at a time and don't want to risk a hypo incident. Coco is ridiculously uncooperative with home testing, but my work schedule is changing next week so I will have more time to test and monitor her.

Here's my question: Coco has a glucose curve scheduled tomorrow. As an FYI she hates vet visits with a passion and has developed a reputation as an "uncooperative" cat so they are unlikely to get close to her. Mr. Vet was very surprised when I switched her from Hills to a lower carb wet food. Do I give her the full 3 units with the warning to watch closely for lethargy OR do I give her 1 unit and tell Mr. Vet that I changed the dose?

I want to do what's best for my cat and I am the one who sees her every day. At the same time, I don't want a battle with Mr. Vet who has more experience but doesn't see Coco in her natural environment. Anyone have suggestions?

2. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

I would do what you have been doing so the vet sees the results of what you have been doing. And avoid a hypo from a combination of the low-carb food and higher insulin dose.

As far as how to deal with the vet, I have no idea, as my vet is really unhappy with me over how I have treated my cat using home testing and diet (the vet doesn't believe in home testing). This in spite of the cat being OTJ with BG 60-89 with occasional 50s and low 90s for almost two years, now.

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I would definitely not give 3 units without testing, is a high dose and it could be really dangerous.

They get used to the testing and it becomes easier, make sure you always give her a treat and a lot of scratches after each test even if it was not successful.

If she hates vet visits so much odds are the results that the vet is going to get are going to be very different from what her real numbers are every day at home and the vet is going to give you a dose that may not really be what she needs ( Babu could go as much as 150 higher at the vet than what he had tested at home just before leaving ), so if your vet is not going to take your test results at home as valid ones it may be complicated to handle, if you trust your vet on other areas and do not want to have a problem, you could just tell him that since you noticed her lethargic ( those were his instructions) you lowered the dose or not tell him you lowered it keep testing at home and handle the dose yourself ( with the help from the people here at the forum) without giving him much detail of what you are doing just telling him she is looking better and maybe eventually you can show him your test results

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

As above, her numbers at the vet will not reflect her actual day to day life. Doing a curve at home should be second nature to both of you assuming you're testing at home as well. I've had two cats that were never crated and loved both the car and prancing around the clinic showing off their butts. But... staying at the clinic without Daddy and being poked by strangers brought out the worst in them and that equals stress. Stress affects BG numbers and is of almost no help in your long term health plans. I've also had a cat that sent a tech to the hospital for an IV drip of antibiotics.
    There was also one cat that enjoyed his enemas a bit too much but we won't go there today.
    I won't clog up the thread with pics of my sweetheart Nigel but he was everyone's Angel and loved the car. But try to clip his nails or draw blood and your insurance plan got activated. This is life with cats. Ever waited eight hours in emergency? That's called being "ridiculously uncooperative" for reasons hospitals (and vets) cannot fathom.
    I've been poking holes in cats for a long time. Other members will share their tricks with you. I rub ears, pray to the God of Cats and sing.

Hush, little Baby, don't meow,
    Pappa's gonna get some kitty treats.
    And if you don't bite my finger off,
    Pappa's gonna buy you some catnip.
    etc. etc. etc.
    Pappa's gonna buy you a dog named Rover.
    And if that dog named Rover barks continuously,
    etc. etc. etc.
    You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town.

All humor aside these first trying days will pass and soon you'll be doing this in a dimly lit room. I get screaming migraines so I know all about 15 watt light bulbs.

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Do you have to take Coco to the vet for the curve? You know the results are going to be higher because she is "uncooperative", and stressed. Why not wait until your next day off and do the curve yourself? It's just paying more money for inaccurate results and putting Coco thru it all.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Max only had one curve at my vet’s office and that was after his first shot. I sent my vet his ss every couple of weeks.

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Olive has never had a curve. My vet trusts my testing and has the link to ss (don't know if he looks at it though).

8. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

My Coco could be that cat - for real! I'm sure we'll get to the point where doing a curve at home is second nature. But right now getting any test result is a nightmare. Needles and sticks aren't her thing. I am picking up larger gauge lancets to help in that department.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  9. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Yes, the plan is to drop her off at the vet office and leave her all day although I'm seriously reconsidering. The up side is it gives Mr. Vet a chance to see her on a low dose. And it gives me a chance to go in armed with a lot of good information to discuss home monitoring and dosage.

10. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

I'm hoping Mr. Vet will trust home monitoring. He is fairly young and hopefully a bit more open-minded.

11. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Noah is much more compliant when he's in his basket with Andy. The buddy system. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.