sunday with elvis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by carose, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carose

carose Member

good morning to anyone else who is awke. elvis got in a wierd habit about 1 moth ago licking my hair at night. so i was awoken at 3"15 by this. then he started gaging...i thing he eat my hair. not sure i tried to test his sugar but he would not let me. so at 5 i fwd him and just took his bg it is 464. i am planning ongiving him 4 unit again. i need coffee...
    btw last nite we took his bg 7:30 pm 309 anf 10 pm 136...better than before but disappointed not ad low as the morning

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi again,

Would really help if you could set up a spread sheet. It is hard to track what you are giving and testing when.
    Not sure how long after shot your 139 was.
    It is important to keep an eye on the lowest number in your 12 hour cycle as well as the pre shot. Food and then testing will artificially raise numbers, hence recommendation to test before you feed and shoot.

Can you give some more info (completeing a profile is really helpful, dx, food you give, how you got to your present dose)

There's very few users of your insulin as not a popular one anymore.

Hope you have a good day :D

3. carose

carose Member

Trying to get a spreadshhet started. we have been giving elvis 4 units for about 2 weeks. The vet instructed 3 units but we could not get any low numbers. Since we stopped giving hills prescription w/d we are finally seeing low numbers. i did leave a meaage for the vet waitibg for her to call back. We decided to add 1 unit from reading alot online and my mother inlaw is a diabetic. Elvis last 2 meals were canned food from the chart. Special Kitty supper super. He loves it and i was feeding him that before he got ill. You dont know how much i needed this help with elvis. Things are finally making sense to me. I promised mr friend i iwll do whatever i can ti help him.

4. carose

carose Member

10:30 am...4 1/2 gours after injection...elvis bg is 53 i think tonite we are only going to give 3 unit of novolin...

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Carol,

I am concerned that you are shooting relatively blind. Please put your bg levels for the past few days on this forum and specifically ask for N help. (You might change your title and add N) There are a few people on the forum who have experience with it and can help you. 53 is a low number - not dangerous yet. 40 is when you start worrying and reacting. But the N is bringing him down hard. I think you need to know how to give it in a safe way.

Here is how you can put your bg levels out until you get a spreadsheet:
    I am just pulling numbers out of the air - you would substitute your actual times and numbers

5/21
    am bg ### (this is the morning bg level before food) #units of N Fed (whatever you fed and how much)
    +4 (this would be a bg level you got 4 hours after the morning shot, for example)
    +6 (6 hours after the morning shot)
    pm bg ### (evening bg level before food) #units of N Fed (whatever you fed and how much)

If you put your numbers in this format with the data you have, people will be able to see patterns and be able to advise you on dosage. When Elvis starts reacting to the insulin with lower numbers, and when you have changed food, there can be times when he is much lower than you would expect.

6. carose

carose Member

i ahve been trying to get the spread sheet posted...now my pc is being wierd...at 5 before eating elvis bg was 416...he ate almost a whole can of new food we only gave him 3 units i am checking at 8 tonite his ears are really getting sore...

7. carose

carose Member

wwooohooo 3 unit of novolin at 6 pm his bg is 96.....i relly beleive it was the food....i am calling the vet to see about an 12 insulin....thanks so much...and i am still trying to upload the spreadsheet

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You can put neosporin on his ears. That will help with the soreness. Also, be sure to hold his ear for a few seconds after poking. That will ease the bruising.

Here is the info on the spreadsheet: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16 If you have trouble, you can go to the tech forum and ask for help.

9. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi

was he at 96 one hour after having insulin?

That is how your last 2 posts read to me. Probably way too late now (time zone) but if that is the case you need to cut the dose again now. That is a massive drop in one hour and as it is not the pek time for the insulin (3-5 hours) his numbers could go a lot lower.

Have you managed to get the spread sheet up and running yet?

Paws crossed

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.