Super silky fur

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Myrtlesmum, Jun 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

Last time Myrtle had diabetes, I noticed that her fur felt greasy and after a while on insulin her fur became super smooth and silky (sounds like a shampoo commercial). However she now has elevated bg and it looks like her diabetes may be back but her fur is feeling super silky even though I haven’t started insulin yet. It’s the silkiest it’s felt in a really long time. Does anyone know the mechanism behind this or what it may mean?

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

When she first was diagnosed she probably had the diabetes for quite a while before it was caught. Often when a cat is sick, it will stop grooming and that's why you see the difference in the fur. Cats are masters at hiding illnesses and when we finally do realize that they are sick, they probably been feeling bad for quite a while.

Since you already know that she has feline diabetes, even though she was OTJ, most likely you caught the rise in her glucose levels early. Plus she is on a better diet now before she was originally diagnosed. So this is why her coat still looks good.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and schedule a vet visit to see if she has any infection or may need a dental. Whatever is going on with her you probably caught very early.

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Diabetes as with almost all the hormonal imbalances causes some effect in their coats, for Babu his hair became a bit more scarce, he actually didn't really changed to his winter coat , when he got regulated everything came back to normal, lots of hair, lots of shedding lots of furballs :rolleyes: , what I did noticed is that the change of diet did make his coat more silky and shiny and not only his my civies too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.