Supplements for acromegaly and IAA

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Judy and Freckles, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I'm new to be posting on this forum but was wondering if CG of acro/IAA cats are giving supplements that they are finding beneficial?

BTW: Freckles has no other medical conditions that have been identified other than FD and acro/IAA. Her first blood test (Oct. 19/19) showed elevated levels of phosphorus (we've changed her diet but vet forgot to test for phosphorus levels last blood test time :banghead:). Most recent blood test (January 2020) showed slight anemia.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There is nothing you can do for IAA but be patient, and try to get Freckles showing lots of green. For acromegaly, you supplement to help any side effects. Neko got omega-3 (fish oil) as an anti-inflammatory and I tried a host of things to help her arthritis when it showed up. I tried Azodyl for a while when her kidney numbers started going off, but not sure it did much. Neko liked it though, cause I gave it mixed into high fat greek yogurt. :) Probiotics can be beneficial for the GI system.

Good idea to keep track of phosphorus, cause you do want that in normal range. Take a look at Tanya's CRF website to find out about phosphorus and anemia. For phosphorus, you do start with food changes to see if that can do it.

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  3. Judy and Freckles

Thanks Wendy. That is an awesome website. So much information!

4. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Judy and Freckles

Thanks for this link. This is not the first time I've seen Turmeric being used for animals... interesting!

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  6. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Karen & Lily likes this.
  7. Judy and Freckles

8. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

@Bronx's dad (GA) , a couple of years ago Lily was taking 55 units twice a day! Those were crazy times!

9. Cleocatra

Cleocatra Member

What difference between ReliOn meter & Alphatrak2?? 55Units 2x day?????? Did your vet tell you when to increase dosage? What was BG# when you were at the low doses? Cleo was up to 9U Lantus 2x and #'s were still near 500. Now we're on PZi & the vet backed her down to 2U 2x and she's over 500 again. I want to ramp up her doses quicker since she was not responding much to 9U of Lantus. Also, she's been on cabergoline for 2 weeks. Her hunger is a down, but the BG#'s are not.

10. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

ReliOn meter is a human meter vs the Alphatrak which is for animals. The ReliOn test strips are a lot less expensive and that was a good thing when I was testing quite frequently.
    Yes at one time Lily was on 55 units 2x a day! I was doing the majority of the dosing decisions & only taking Lily to the vet for her checkups.
    I did the opposite of you-I had started Lily on Prozinc & switched her to Lantus.

11. Cleocatra

Cleocatra Member

My vet can't believe she was on 55U bid.!! Who gave you the green light to increase that much?? Lily never hit any 400's or 500's like Cleo. I'd love to get Cleo down to ~250. Don't know how long she can take these high #'s. Her neuropathy is taking a toll on her hind leg muscles.

12. Judy and Freckles

Insulin is a hormone and not a drug. A cat needs as much as they need. Freckles is on 11 u right now. That much insulin could be very harmful to another kitty, but Freckles' body needs it and her numbers are showing improvement.

Research supports that many acro cats will need high doses of insulin - all your vet has to do is to research it a bit and it is not uncommon.

1."The insulin requirements of an acromegalic cat will ultimately likely be higher than an average non-acromegalic diabetic. In fact, some acromegalic cats need an extraordinarily high insulin dose and still show a poor response to therapy. A group of 59 acromegalics was found to be treated with an average of 7 IU BID, but with some cats receiving as much as 35 IU BID." Taken from
    Acromegaly in Cats
    World Small Animal Veterinary Association World Congress Proceedings, 2014
    Stijn J.M. Niessen, DVM, PhD, DECVIM, PGCertVetEd, FHEA, MRCVS

2."On average, acromegalic cats require insulin doses more than twice those required in nonacromegalic diabetics, though a small minority will initially have good glycemic control and may even achieve remission. Median insulin doses reported are 7 IU twice a day (range 1–35 IU), though sometimes extreme doses are required that would be fatal in other cats (20 to >70 IU).32,92"
    Taken from:
    Managing feline diabetes: current perspectives - Susan Gottlieb,1,2 Jacquie Rand2

The Cat Clinic, Brisbane, QLD, Australia; 2School of Veterinary Science, The University of Queensland, Gatton, QLD, Australia

3."All developed severe insulin resistance within a few months; peak insulin dosages required to control severe hyperglycemia ranged from 20 to 130 U per day." Taken from: Acromegaly in 14 Cats Mark E. Peterson, DVM, R. Steven Taylor, DVM, Deborah S. Greco, DVM, Richard W. Nelson, DVM, John F. Randolph, DVM, Melissa S. Foodman, DVM, Scott D. Moroff, DVM, Susan A. Morrison, DVM and Clinton D. Lothrop, DVM, PhD. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. Vol. 4 . NO. 4

Cleocatra likes this.