Surgery is on for tomorrow

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karen & Angus(GA), Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

We had our consultation this morning. You guys are awesome! I took my list of questions from here and Sweet Talk. I really liked the surgeon. She answered most of the questions before I even asked. The surgeon actually said that I sounded very knowledgeable and I told her it was the collected wisdom of dozens of crazy cat people.

She was debating whether to accept the bloodwork from 6/28, then finally said it should be okay. But, she didn't want to cut into the liver without running a clotting profile first. I can certainly appreciate that! So, they ran the clotting profile and PCV this morning. Everything looks normal. We discussed the possibility of laparoscopy. The IM vet wants open because she wants full thickness biopsies of the entire GI tract plus the liver plus anything else that looks abnormal. Poor Minou is going to be a sieve for a while. She may be released Friday afternoon, but more likely it will be Saturday morning. I will be a nervous wreck until she is home again. I would appreciate any good thoughts you can spare.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Karen

sounds like you've got everything covered and are well prepared.
    Sending lots of positive smooth procedure and recovery vines for ((((Minou)))) cat_pet_icon

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Sending tons of white light and good thoughts to you and your girl, and will anxiously be awaiting updates

Jen

4. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

You might want to ask ahead of time what sort of food restrictions Minou will be on when she gets home. Gwyn had full thickness biopsies of the entire GI tract in '94, and she was on food restrictions for several days afterward. Unfortunately, I don't recall what those restrictions were, and they may well have come up with better guidelines in the intervening years. But I thought I'd mention it so you could maybe stock up on whatever food Minou's allowed to have while you have time to do so. FWIW, Gwyn was a tiny limp rag for several days afterward, so don't be surprised if it takes a little time for Minou to recover. OTOH, the biopsy was *totally* worth it for us, and I hope it's true for you and Minou as well. (((hugs))) to both of you, and wishing the best of luck to Minou!

-- Jean and her Gwyn

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for Minou...some for worried mommy too.

6. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending healing energies for Minou and strength to get through the surgery and beyond. And sending you peace & comfort - take care of yourself through this stressful event.

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Best of luck, Minou. Breathe, Karen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.