Sushi's BG has been higher than norm for days & has HX of dka

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sushi, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sushi

Sushi Member

Sushi has been doing so well but now his numbers are 200+. I'm getting worried since he has a history of DKA and was also dx with pancreatitis, & biliary stasis in Nov 2018.

I don't know if his Lantus vial froze in the refrigerator recently. My mom cleaned out the fridge could have changed the settings.

His diet has been FF Chunky Chicken Feast (4%) and plain chicken on occasion. To my knowledge, his appetite, thirst, bathroom habits haven't changed. Behavior wise he has been normal and hasn't been hiding. He actually gained 0.5lb since Feb.

Condo

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I can see Sushi has been doing so well up until the last few days.
    It could be the insulin or it could be something else.
    Are his teeth ok.? Does he seem well. Is he peeing more........I wonder if he could have a UTI.
    Have you testing his urine for ketones at all recently.?
    I am glad you increased his insulin dose. Make sure he is eating and drinking plenty.
    I would check his ketones daily, see if the increase in dose helps, and if it doesn't I would get a new container of insulin.
    If the BSLs are still high I would take him to the vet to see if he has an infection somewhere.
    Please keep us posted.

3. Sushi

Sushi Member

Sushi's teeth should be good, had a cleaning last month. He seems fine, but I'm at work all day. I do have ketone strips on hand but haven't caught Sushi peeing yet, so no test. I'm going to ask my family to keep tabs on how much he's eating and drinking and get a test.
    I have a shipment of insulin coming on Sat.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Sounds like you have a good plan in place. I think getting a ketone test is important and finding out how much he is eating as well..
    Signs of pancreatitis can be lack of appetite, hunched up as if in pain, diarrhoea, higher BSLs,vomiting and nausea. So keep an eye out for those as well.
    It is good to be vigilant with a history of DKA......you are doing a good job caring for him.

Sushi likes this.
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Those numbers are looking much better. Looks like an increase was needed.

Sushi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.