Suspicions of diabetes, awaiting confirmation, I feel so sad

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cornad, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cornad

cornad Member

I have 2 cats, Sammie and Spencer. But the main focus of this post is for my Spence. confused_cat

Spencer is around 14-15 years old (we've cuddle almost every night since the 2nd grade) but always loved to play, jump around, cuddle, until recently. I would say in the past few months, we have definitely noticed a change in his "gracefulness." He wasn't jumping as smoothly as he has done before. Then he began walking up and down the stairs VERY slowly, he went to bouncing up the stairs to a few steps at a time very recently.

Then came the awareness of polyuria and polydipsia. My mom has been a nurse for about 30 years and I'm a nursing student so we quickly assumed diabetes. The peripheral neuropathy really sealed the deal for me. My family and I thought it was old age at first but now we are convinced it is diabetes. We are going to the vet as a family on Saturday.

I've read all the information about diabetes in cats and I'm completely overwhelmed and sadden. As a nursing student I read and deal with patients with diabetes, know the complications associated and my mind won't stop racing. I love my mom but she has more of a fatalist mentality whenever we talk about Spence, "oh he's getting old, it might just be it. Prepare yourself." I want to prepare myself, not for his demise but for his treatment. As a student I might be alone (because of my mom's resistance) in my funding for his health care cost which is very scary.

confused_cat What questions should I ask the vet? What should I be weary of? I've read the FAQ's and many pages on this site. Yet, the thoughts of hypoglycemia and an inexperienced vet once insulin is initiated frightens me. What were your thoughts when you first learned about your kitty and diabetes? What did you do to cope?

Thank you for your time!

2. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Like many here, I did not take the diagnosis of Thomas particularly well--let us say I cried quite a bit. Thomas has now been an insulin dependant diabetic for over 9 years. With the new insulins and a food change, many of the cats here go into remission, so that is good news. And as a nursing student, I am sure you will be able to embrace the whole testing thing.
    good luck,
    dana

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Here is my general welcome message. I'm going to reply again and answer some of your questions.

WELCOME, this forum is a great place to gain knowledge and really learn how to manage feline diabetes. By doing just a few things each day (that really won't take up much of your time at all), you won't need to worry about losing your precious cat, not where feline diabetes is concerned.

There are three key factors to managing diabetes: food/nutrition, home testing and insulin

1) Feline Nutrition: Now, as far as diet - definitely dump the dry food (if you are feeding any) and if the vet recommends purchasing prescription food like DM just say "no thank you". ALL cats, and especially those with diabetes, do best on a species appropriate diet that is high in protein and low in carbs. Dry food DOES NOT fit that bill and DM food, even canned, just really isn't that great as far as quality. Most here on FDMB feed low carb/high protein canned, raw bought from a pet store or they make there own.

Here great links, one is to a food chart put together by one of our board members that breaks down the carb % and protein % of most of the commercial brand foods. You want to keep the carb % below 10% and around 7% is great. The other link is to a site by a vet "Dr. Lisa DVM" ... who also posts on this board from time to time ... there is in-depth info. there about many things, including nutrition and how to make raw food.
    Nutrition/food info

The good thing with feeding your diabetic cat this way, is that it is ALSO good for any non-diabetic cat too. All your cats can safely eat the same food without worry and it may save you some costs and headaches of having to do separate feedings and keeping track of what they are eating.

2. Home testing: It is impossible to convey the value of testing your cat's BG (blood glucose) level at home. Some vets will "suggest" this, but most won't even mention it. They will send you home with insulin and an amount to shoot and maybe some instructions about hypoglycemia (blood sugar dropping to a dangerously low level).

Well, the thing is, human diabetics don't EVER give themselves insulin without checking there BG to make sure it is safe to do so, so why shouldn't it be the same for our kitties. Here on FDMB it is. You will notice that the vast majority of people here test their cat's BG at least 2x/day (before giving each shot to make sure the level is safe enough) and periodically at other times to see how the cat is responding to the current dose. We use a human glucometer, test strips and lancets - which are all very readily available and easy to use.

Our kitties get lots of love and treats for "putting up" with this and most of them actually come out to be tested on their own 'cause they want those treats . Here is a collection of great links that "Carolyn and Spot" pulled together about hometesting. See what you think ... it truly is the best way to not only keep Your cat safe but also really get a handle on this disease and help him to live a healthy life with FD (feline diabetes).

Home testing Links

3. Insulin: There are several types of insulin available. Many people, myself included use Lantus or Levimer both of which are great insulins. They are gentle insulin and given twice (BID) per day in 12 hour increments. There is also a third insulin called Prozinc - I am not as familiar with this insulin as the L's.

Please read up on the insulins available, here is a link to the Insulin Support Groups:

Insulin Support Groups

However, one caveat and again this shows how these three things are inter-related:

If you are feeding dry food or even a high carb food, BEFORE removing these foods, please make sure of your insulin dose as it will most likely need to be reduced, so as to avoid a possible hypoglycemic situation due to the removal of the dry/high carb foods that will lower the BG’s and reduce the amount of insulin required. Again, another reason why home testing is important.

I know this all seems like a lot, and that's because it is ... there is a learning curve here. But as long as you are determined and keep at it, you will have it down before you know it and you'll be seeing the results in Your cat' overall health and happiness. Ask all the questions you can think of - that's why we are here!

Also, if you haven't done it yet, take the time and fill out your profile. It will help when others come on and read this. Also, let us know where you live - city/state as there are probably people in your area who can provide on the ground support and help you to learn home testing, etc.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

This sounds like diabetic neuropathy and can be treated and hopefully reversed with insulin regulation AND Methyl B12. There are many B12's out there and you need to use Methylcobalamin version.

Here is a link to the one I used and recommend:

Methyl B12

Empty one capsule into wet food once daily.
    That's great. Get the whole family involved in his care. Kudos to you and your family.

Yes, of course you are allowed to be overwhelmed. There is a lot of information. However, once you understand the basics (as I described in previous post) it will become easier. Take your time to read what I wrote, follow the links, learn and ask questions.

The initial costs to treat FD is a little pricey, however there are many ways to do it cost effectively.

For example:

- don't buy any prescription food the vet may recommend. Instead, buy low carb canned foods based on the food chart.

- DO home test and purchase a meter and strips - the least expensive is sold at Walmart - Relion brand - it works well and does what you will need for home testing BG's. DO NOT purchase an animal meter - they are costly (especially the strips!).

- Insulin - that will be your biggest investment - however, if you choose to go with Lantus for example - you can purchase the pens (comes in set of 5) rather than the vial - while the initial outlay will be more $, the overall expense is less than a vial, as you will have less waste and possibility of it going bad. Unopened insulin is good until expiration date. Opened insulin - while the label may say good for 28 days - many, many people here use it for a couple months before it going bad.

Follow the storage and handling procedures as outlined on the lantus forum and you're insulin can last for several months.

Good questions:

Ask the vet

- do they support home testing? If not why not - as you will home test your cat
    - will the vet show you how to ear test?
    - will the vet show you how to inject insulin (my vet had me practice with saline solution, until I was comfortable)?
    - is the vet familiar with treating FD and up on the current insulins and protocols (such as Tilly protocol)?
    - You want to start with one of the L insulins (lantus or levimer) will the vet write a script so you can get it?
    - You will also need a script for the syringes - make sure to ask for U100 syringes - with 1/2 unit markings (3/10 cc) - short needle (my preference)

If the vet tells you that you must leave the cat so they can "do a curve" or "regulate the cat" - say no. You will do all this at home as you learn to home test.

If the vet wants to do a fructosamine test - say yes - as it is a good test to determine if the cat is truly FD - as it tests the BG average of the previous 2-4 weeks.

Once you learn to home test - you won't need to have this test done again. But as a FD determiner it's a good test.

what to get from vet:

script for insulin
    script for syringes
    couple syringes (no needles) that you can use to squirt water and food if necessary)

What you need to get at your local pharmacy or walmart, etc.

- meter
    - test strips
    - lancets - either that go with the lancet device or anything that you want if you decide to poke (test) free handed)
    - neosporin (or any topical antibiotic OTC ointment)
    - insulin - need script
    - syringes - may need script
    - keto stix or keto diastix - to test urine

- remove all dry food
    - purchase low carb canned food (under 10%) - examples - fancy feast - classics, evo 95%, wellness canned, friskies - pate styles,

- purchase some high carb canned food - typically ones with gravy - this is to be put in your hypo tool kit - MARK IT HIGH CARB and separate it from your low carb foods

I don't want to overwhelm you more at this point, others will be along to offer more information, but this ought to be enough to help get you started.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The complication of feline diabetes are really mild compared to humans and (and dogs). Cataracts in cats progress very slowly are are not a concern. Kidney damage is also minimal.

6. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Back in 1990 when Patches(GA) was dx'd I was so thankful it was diabetes and not a cancer. We winged it for 4 years on the old W/D canned and dry.....knew nothing about ketones...no FDMB yet....no hometesting. Since then Baby(GA) 5 1/2years.(heart at 18 1/2+ years), Hope 7 1/2 years and Mishka 6 1/2 years. The last three were adopted by me, Hope and Mishka because they were diabetic. Hometesting is life saving......besides reading and learning all you can buy some ketostix or keto-diastix and a meter, strips, and lancets. It will become routine and you'll look back and wonder why you were so scared of it all. Please post back when you know more.

7. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

You are asking sensible questions that have easy answers. Let me do the short form on some of them:

Complications from diabetes in cats is much rarer than in humans. The neuropathy Spence is showing will resolve when he is regulated. To support this, Methylcolbalamin, Methyl B-12, has been known to help. Remember it's the methyl version, regular B-12 won't help at all.

Remission is more frequent in cats because we have complete control over what they eat. Special diets are not required, don't get the phony 'prescription' stuff, it's made with low quality ingredients and you can do better, for less money, with good quality commercial food.

The newer human insulins, Lantus and Levemir, have been very successful for cats. Take a look at the fora on specific insulins to get an idea of how they're working and be prepared to duscuss choices with your vet.

Human meters are just fine for cats, you do not need an expensive 'animal' model.

Go through the Health Links section here and read. Copy papers you want to discuss with your vet, who may not have seen these research documents.

To save a bit of money, check out our supply closet and the Frugal Feline Diabetes document.

You are a nursing student, your mother is a nurse and you have a support system of experienced caregivers here. With all that going for you it's unlikely that DKA or hypoglycemia will develop far enough to be a threat. Trust yourself on this.

Gia & Quirk (GA)

Guilt trips are a detour from life

8. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Here is a list of questions to ask: http://www.gorbzilla.com/questions_for_your_vet_.htm

If you feel that the current vet isn't knowledgeable in treating feline diabetes or just doesn't have much experience, you can look for a new vet. Here are questions to ask a new vet: http://www.gorbzilla.com/decisions_decisions.htm

Be wary of a vet who insits on in-office blood glucose curves, won't allow hometesting, pushes the prescription food, starts your cat on a high dose of insulin (generally considered anything over 1 unit twice a day), and basically doesn't listen to your concerns or answers questions.

What is your general location, city/state? There may be a member who lives in the area who can recommend a good vet and maybe even help you out in the beginning.

9. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Welcome :YMHUG:

Everyone has given you wonderful advice so I just wanted to drop in and tell you that you have found the best place to ever be if your cat is diagnosed with Feline Diabetes. When I received Webber's initial diagnosis I immediately threw myself into reading and researching as much as I could about the disease and treatments. I researched all of the current insulins that were on the market for FD and told my vet that I wanted to start with Lantus, because of its hx of remision on newly diagnosed patients. Before we started the insulin I had about 2-3 weeks to change his diet from 100% dry to 100% wet. And during that time I also learned how to home test and started to gather some random BG's to help the vet on dosing once we did start the insulin. My vet insisted that we start the insulin at the clinic and I reluctantly agreed. They of course were not familiar with the protocol for Lantus nor that it is to be given twice a day. So.....I would try to start the insulin at home and on a low dose.

Sorry I went off on a tangent....basically Spencer can get better and act himself again if you get his glucose under control. FD is not a death sentence.

Good Luck!!! :mrgreen:

10. cornad

cornad Member

Thank you so much for the support. I'm on the verge of tears because I'm so surprised about the amount of responses!
    Well the vet visit went okay, the vet and staff were very good, well trained, patient, and supportive.

Spencer was very lethargic much of the long ride to the vet. While in the car I realized his pupils/iris were not constricting, it was weird but I just didn't want to think the worst. His temperature was normal, his lungs were clear, and his heart rate was good. The vet realized right away that his pupils were not constricting with the light but he has vision. She also noticed his lethargy and his tummy. She palpated his tummy and felt that it was hard and distended. She continued to touch his belly and he started to meow the first time during the exam, she suspected constipation so we decided to do an x-ray as well as a CBC and urinalysis.

The x-ray showed a lot of stool, very dry stool which filled much of his colon. The vet wants to treat the constipation but wants to wait for the CBC and urinalysis results. Basically the dehydration (most likely from the diabetes; excessive drinking and urination) is probably causing the extreme constipation. She wants to treat the constipation with over night stays and enemas/IVs but I'm a little uneasy about this. The vet also felt like his kidneys looked "small" possibly indicating kidney disease. The results will be in tomorrow morning. I'm bracing myself. nailbite_smile They gave him an IV of fluid to help with the dehydration for the weekend.

I'll update soon with the results.
    Thank you so much for the support, it really means a lot to me.

11. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

Ugh bad constipation in cats is just awful.. as far as I know the vet sounds like they are recommending the correct treatment for it.. I've heard of places sending people home with baby kits and stuff.. that just freaks me out, doesn't seem like a do-it-yourself sort of thing!

If he is diabetic.. aside from the brain fry from the learning curve, it's really nowhere near as bad as *I* thought it would be when Nova was diagnosed.. I think I cried for a day straight..

And now? Diabetes is just a part of our regular routine and not a big deal.. As weird as it sounds, I might even call it a blessing... of course I'd rather she was 100% healthy, but it's brought her and I a lot closer together, we spend so much more time together talking and hanging out, and is a good reminder for me, how lucky and how blessed I am to have her in my life.

Please keep us up to date.. no matter what adventures Spencer takes you for.. pretty decent chance there's people around here that can help you start your journey.

12. cornad

cornad Member

The vet called and emailed with the results this morning.

She said that Spencer does indeed have diabetes but he also has kidney disease. This is such a blow. She said that the treatment for diabetes and kidney somewhat contradict each other. Does anyone know about kidney diseases and it's role with diabetes?

I've read a little about the low-carb food, mostly wet foods. Spencer always vomits when he eats wet food (tried several brands throughout the year but always the same result), that's why we have given him dry. Is there a form of dry food that is low carb? I know this is a diabetes forum but the sound of kidney disease is very scary. The vet says it's common in older cats but Spence has diabetes on top it. I just don't know.

Thanks again for the support. I will fill out the profile very soon.

13. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

It isn't unusual in newly diagnosed diabetics for the kidney and liver values to be somewhat out of whack. These return to normal as the diabetes is treated in the majority of cases, so I'd focus on just the diabetes for now.

If you can feed a raw diet for a while I'd try that and see how Spencer reacts to it. Commercial raw diets are available and there are recipes to make your own cat food if that appeals to you.

14. cornad

cornad Member

I'm pretty confused about the diet situation.

Spence, as I've mentioned before, has a hard time with wet food. He usually vomits it up soon after. I've emailed the vet about this and she says that it might have to do with the speed in which he eats it. Which I can definitely being true, Spence LOVES wet food and gobbles it down. I've been reading on here about canned food and that it's not necessary to get the DM prescription food. I've checked the list but I'm overwhelmed and confused. I'm willing to try and feed Spence one tablespoon at a time and see how he responses but I'm not sure what to pick. The list is just so long.

Spencer has stage II kidney disease which means he shouldn't have a diet super high in protein and phosphorus.

Any suggestions?

Thank you! :!:

15. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

There are conflicting ideas about how to treat kidney issues. Consider posting the lab values here for knowledgeable people to comment. Unless end stage, it is usually not considered a good idea to limit protein to a significant degree and therefore does not need to contradict diabetes treatment. It is phosphorous and moisture you need to look at, so ensure canned or raw diet over dry, and look to phosphorous content and consider phosphorous binders.

My Squeak just celebrated 7 years off of insulin after being diagnosed at 6. I tested him last night and he's doing great, and I expect so for many years to come. Your medical training and that of your mom will do you all well.

Jen

16. cornad

cornad Member

Congratulations about the remission!

I guess what question is, when looking at the chart. What would be a range of percentage (carbs, protein, phosphorus) recommended with a cat with diabetes and kidney disease. I think thats where my true confusion lies. I look at the chart and it's just a lot of shift through and grasp what is an okay amount, a lot, ideal, acceptable, etc.

17. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

One thing you can do to try and counter-act the throwing up because he ate too fast problem (we call that scarf and barf here) is to feed him tiny portions, frequently. Instead of plopping down an entire 1/2 can of Fancy Feast at a time, give him 1/8 or 1/4 and then 1 hour later give him more. With Yittle during the time he was on Vetsulin and then later Lantus we ended up feeding him 12x a day. Yes, you read right - he got fed 1/2 can of Fancy Feast every 2 hours, 24 hours a day for months. We set alarms to wake up, we made frozen hockey pucks of catfood that we could leave out and we just did the grind until finally his numbers got under control. He went from over 20lbs to 13lbs and some ounces by the end of it, and that was being fed 12x a day, plus getting supplimental treats like olive oil mixed in his food, chicken thighs cooked in bacon fat etc. Now he's in diet controlled remission, he eats between 6-8x a day and it appears we might winnow that down to only 6 pretty soon. We can now leave him alone for 6-8 hours without leaving frozen food out for him and he won't throw a fit - although frequent small meals are still the key to keeping his blood sugar even. He's regained some of the weight and is now just under 15lbs and holding steady. He looks and acts like he did when he was only 6-7 years old and not 13 going on 14. He does have some problems with his kidneys - they're not quite right. But they've improved and right now we're supposed to wait 6 months and get him retested. He had an incident where he threw up blood that we've never quite been able to explain but his liver and kidney values were found to be off then - luckily they're all going back down to normal.

As an aside, I've got an open bottle of Methyl B-12 here that we no longer need, Yittle now has absolutely no symptoms of neuropathy. If you PM me I'd be happy to mail you the bottle for the cost of the shipping.

18. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

First way to shorten the list --- (and take note that there are TWO canned food lists - OLD and NEW)

What brands are available in your regular pet store or where you buy your cat food?

If you have a good selection of Fancy Feast available, you can start with the GLUTEN FREE FANCY FEAST list which is a fairly short list.

What is your budget?

With 5 cats, i buy the big cans -- there are only a couple brands available in my area -- Wellness and EVO

EVO has a dry food that is 8% carbs

19. Jen & Squeak

I think the main thing is to look for foods that contain approximately fewer than 10% of the calories from carbs, and keep the phosphorous levels under 200 if you can.

20. cornad

cornad Member

Thanks again for the replies.

I go to school in NYC, so I have a lot of access to many types of food. I went to petco before class and picked up 5 different flavors of the Wellness brand (5.5oz cans). I brought the list along and picked up the flavors that were under 10% carbs and phosphorus under 300. I looked on the list and it seemed a lot of the under 200 phosphorus lvls had a high carb rate; above 20 or so. So I decided to go for the Wellness line. I think they were $1.65 a can, which seems reasonable, I guess. Fancy feast might be cheaper. I should double check, I forgot to pick up a few high carb cans just incase of hypoglycemic situations. I was told I could exchange unopened cans just in case I change my mind.

Spence was weighted at the vet--11lbs. How much of canned food should I feed him a day? We free feed right now. But with canned, especially at first I know I won't be able to do that. I know he will definitely overeat. One can a day? One and a half? Hmm..

Sammie is much smaller, I figure I would probably a can for sure.

Thanks again!

21. Hillary & Maui (GA)

I have this situation with two cats - Maui diabetes and Sydney early kidney disease.

To make life easier, I feed everyone the same.

The secret with the kidney issue is to give lots of water. What I do is put approximately 1/2-2/3 can worth of water in the food.

What does that mean.

If I'm using a 5.5 ounce can I will fill it with water and put 1/2 or a bit more of the water into the 5.5 ounces of food. If it's a 3 ounce can, I will put the entire can of water into the food. It makes the food soupy/puree like.

While this makes them pee even more than normal, it shows that the kidneys are functioning and flushing out any possible toxins.

Now as for the kinds of food I buy -

friskies special diet - turkey/giblets, beef/liver
    evo 95% - chicken/turkey, duck

nature's variety raw medallions - used to buy chicken, but since recall, I buy rabbit

I also started making my own homemade raw food and am using that now instead of nature's variety.

I also tried Nature's Logic and the girls seem to like it. So, I placed an order for that - one case of each flavor. This is an extremely dense product, so I add even more water to it - to loosen it up.

Nature's Logic is not yet on the charts - I asked the owner to provide the values so it can go on the charts. Carb wise I know it's very low ike 1-3%, I believe the phosphorus is low too, but don't know the percentage.

I hope this helps.

22. VictorsMom (GA)

VictorsMom (GA) New Member

Not much to add here, as you've gotten great advice already - I just wanted to say hello, and welcome! With your medical background, I'd say Spencer is one lucky cat.

I won't overwhelm you with further volumes of info, but FWIW, my cat Victor had diabetes, IBD, cardiomyopathy, and neuropathy. Once we started treating the diabetes, added some methyl b-12 for the neuropathy, and changed his diet to raw food, he completely turned a corner, and his quality of life improved greatly. He was on insulin for 11 months, and in remission for the remaining 13 months of his life.

I also have a CRF civvie who is on the climb-side of 17 or 18 and with daily subq fluids, he's as happy as he ever was. His BUN and creatinine are consistently in or near the normal ranges.

Just offering up a little insight to help confirm that just because they are "old", doesn't necessarily mean "it's the end". Spencer might (and probably will) surprise you once you start treatment. All paws crossed for you and Spencer. You've come to the right place.

23. cornad

cornad Member

One more question, should I start the low carb food now? Before he gets his insulin?
    I'm getting confused. Spence's appointment is on Friday and I wanted to try out some food choices before we go.
    Should I switch 100% wet right now or wait until after the appt?

24. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I would begin switching the food now.

25. Olliecat

Olliecat Member

Hello and welcome -

I'm totally new to this just as you but this is the best place to be for you right now. THere will be support, words of encouragement and a lot of lessons learned by people that have "been there, done that" so to speak. I've been able to get my cat, Oliver, as close to right as I can right now that wasn't happening with my vet because, like many vets, he isn't very well versed in FD. Thanks to everyone here and all the great info from Doctor Lisa online it has been a lot easier (although not easy at all) than it would have been and - I'm convinced - a lifesaver for Oliver.

One of the best things I did was switch to all wet as soon as possible without waiting for very much info because it is just better for all cats regardless of having FD or not. I wish you luck in your near term - don't let your concerns push you into thinking you need to give up on spence now, there are still many years left if managed properly! ;-)

26. Allie & Myrtle (GA)

Allie & Myrtle (GA) Well-Known Member

27. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Yes, please start the low-carb food now, if at all possible, and keep away from the 'dry' low-carb food because with the kidney issue and the constipation, he really doesn't need any more reasons to be dehydrated.

If you can get an oral syringe and give him a little extra room-temperature water by mouth a few times daily this may help. Oral syringes can be found at the pharmacy in the baby section or at the vet's. Typically they're 5 or 10 ml.

After he's been on all low-carb for 3 days or so his insulin needs should lower a bit, but he'll still need some. In fact, sooner is better if he's already otherwise ill. An ill cat who needs insulin and doesn't get it can get much more ill within 8-24 hours.

And welcome, we can really help and you're getting good advice.

Best,
    Steve

28. cornad

cornad Member

Happy Easter!

I hope everyone is enjoying the Spring weather and the holiday. I'm stuck doing homework and studying; so I'll take a break to update about Spencer's current condition and vet appointment.

We went to the vet on Friday. The vet was great and very understanding. She answered every one of my questions and more; extremely patient. She gave us additional information, handouts, and even suggested felinediabetes.com from a printout! Although she didn't suggest home testing, I stressed that I wanted to have more control over his numbers and condition. She explained home testing and gave resources. We practiced with saline, went good. He got some additional fluids for his dehydration. She suggested Lantus, 1 unit twice a day.

We got his insulin last night, started his insulin today. He ate around a can of cat food around 8am, I gave him his first shot @ around 9:30am. I must admit, giving a shot to a cat is far different from a human. He was very relaxed and purring the entire time. It was definitely harder for me than for him lol. I checked his blood sugar at 4PM and it was 116. According to the table @ petdiabetes wiki it is a good level. I have to read up again but I forgot what times would be the best to do the testing?

I am happy that he is adjusting well to the canned Wellness food. Although it is expensive for two cats. I tried looking for the gluten-free fancy feast, I haven't found it anywhere. The woman that gave us Spencer about 15 years ago, warned against using Friskies for Spence. Being as young as I was, I never questioned it. But--even now, I'm hesitant to try it. So I'm still searching for the best diet--content and cost-wise.

29. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Where have you looked for the gluten free varieties of FF? I know petsmart carries most of them (Flaked fish and shrimp, Classic Chicken Feast, Classic Turkey and Giblets Feast, Classic Liver and Chicken Feast are the ones my Oscar likes)

30. cornad

cornad Member

I've checked petco, petland, and just the regular markets around. I didn't try the local pet stores yet. Unfortunately there isn't a petsmart nearby.

Does it say grain/gluten free on the can? Whenever I ask someone for help that works there, they don't know anything about the ingredients or the food in general. I bought the list of grain free fancy feast with me, when I read the ingredients, it mentioned wheat. So I was very confused and I didn't buy it.

31. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

It will not say grain free on the can. Most of the FF flavors are not grain free, so you have to hunt. I know it is confusing, it was for me! For example, there are many different chicken varieties, but only one is gluten free. (There is Grilled Chicken, Chicken in gravy, Classic Chicken Feast, etc.... and only the classic chicken is gluten free) The Classic varieties are going to be your best bet. They probably do have them, but I know I spent about an hour in petsmart when I first started looking for all the flavors I was searching for from J&B's list.

Here are some links from the FF website that will show you what the flavors you are searching for look like and ingredient labels:

Flaked Oceanfish Feast:
    http://fancyfeast.com/wet-cat-food/flak ... ish-feast/

Flaked Fish and Shrimp:
    http://fancyfeast.com/wet-cat-food/flak ... imp-feast/

Classic Tender Beef Feast (formerly Tender Beef Feast):
    http://fancyfeast.com/wet-cat-food/clas ... eef-feast/

Classic Tender Beef and Liver Feast:
    http://fancyfeast.com/wet-cat-food/clas ... ver-feast/

Classic Liver and Chicken Feast:
    http://fancyfeast.com/wet-cat-food/clas ... ken-feast/

Classic Chicken (formerly Gourmet Chicken):
    http://fancyfeast.com/wet-cat-food/clas ... ken-feast/

Classic Turkey and Giblets Feast:
    http://fancyfeast.com/wet-cat-food/clas ... ets-feast/

Classic Chopped Grill Feast:
    http://fancyfeast.com/wet-cat-food/clas ... ill-feast/

Classic Savory Salmon:
    http://fancyfeast.com/wet-cat-food/clas ... mon-feast/

Classic Ocean Whitefish and Tuna (formerly tuna and oceanfish feast in aspic):
    http://fancyfeast.com/wet-cat-food/clas ... una-feast/

If you order online, petfooddirect.com is usually the cheapest, and always do a search for coupon codes with them.

32. Jen & Squeak

Note that wheat gluten is not a carb; it is a potential issue if a cat is allergic to it and was the subject of the past petfood recall

please note that fish is not a suitable protein source for most crf cats due to phosphorous levels

Jen

33. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

An almost entirely full bottle of Methyl B-12 is on its way... hope it helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.