Suzie 12 year old calico - BG down!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PaulaP524, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulaP524

PaulaP524 New Member

All - just a quick update on Suzie. We received our meter to test Suzie at home and finally got her tested. My husband tried all afternoon and no luck. Once I got home, we viewed the video of Buddy and his owner testing him freehand and we gave that try. Got blood the first time and her test was 120! Her test at the vet was 302 last week - No insulin yet, just changed her from dry food to Blue Wilderness 95% meat canned food!! :D I have a good doctor friend that is getting us some Lantus and she read the protocol utilizing glargine. We are working through this together as she has a cat and has switched hers off dry food just from the reading I've given her although her cat is not diabetic!

I heard from the vet I took Suzie to initially regarding a local specialty clinic that is doing a clinical trial on newly diagnosed diabetic cats. I was so annoyed with him earlier because he made me feel like doing this research was futile (Internet research) and I had given up on him. I was surprised that he contacted me with this information! So I am going to check into it and post later what I find out for your opinions.

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement. I am so exhausted... I'm sure you have all felt the same at the early stages!

Paula

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

yes, everyone is exhausted and overwhelmed at the beginning. fortunately as you learn more it's a lot less stressful!

if you end up using lantus, that protocol is what we follow on the Lantus Tight Reg forum. It's very do-able, but it really helps to have someone help as you learn how it all works. people will be glad to help you learn how Suzie's body is responding to the Lantus, when to change a dose and when to hold the dose. sometimes there are factors that cause a cat's BG numbers to go high and we have to wait them out because they will come down again.

anyway, there's lots to learn and people will be happy to teach you. great job switching over the food - and a vet that's aware of the Glargine (Lantus) protocol is probably more up on feline diabetes than many vets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.