Sweet Foster "Arthur" aka Boo Boo is in da houz . . .

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by stefani&toonces, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stefani&toonces

stefani&toonces Member

I went to get "Arthur" today at the shelter. He is a doll baby. He reminds me so much of Venita's Ennis -- he is of similar size and structure, black and white medium hair with an undercoat. (Not your usual short hair.) He has a big face with wide eyes and the black around his eyes and his expression give him a constantly surprised look. The funny thing is that "Arthur" is his new shelter name but his name at his old home for 10 years was Boo Boo, which is actually my nickname for Venita's Ennis . . . . proving further that he is Ennis' mini me.

He cried loudly all the way home. I was starting to think this vocalizing was his thing, but he's been pretty quiet in his room. The look on his face is one of true bewilderment, and he was just given up on Tuesday, so it's beeen less than a week.

He had been on 4 units of N twice a day, and his vet records (Banfield, not the best the records) don't give me any clue why they decided to up him from his original dose of 2 units BID when he was diagnosed in July 2009 to 4 units BID in September. He has been on Royal Canin dry diabetic management food, and the ingredients list reads like a "who's who" of grains. Corn, more corn, barley, brown rice, and oh - chicken meal n there somewhere. Fortunately, he seems to prefer wet food, and has eaten a normal amount today (1 can of FF savory salmon and some nature's variety rabbit, a tad of evo. I'm laying the repast out to tepmt him.)

Supposedly he got 4 units N this morning, and his +7 was 57. Tonight I got a second test in on him and he was 242 at + 13. I could not help myself, I sprung for his first vial of lantus, and gave him a half unit.

He has, however, spent most of the day under the bed. I have tried to block access to under bed area, unsuccessfully. H is friendly -- when he is not under the bed, he is very happy to be pet, combed, etc. but he looks sincerely freaked out. Who could blame him?

He seems however, to really like looking out the window. I have been very environmentally naughty today, to placate him leaving the AC unit on and the window open in his room.

His coat is somewhat dull and oily, and he has dandruff. But he seems in generally good shape and I have a feeling his coat will improve on less harsh insulin and off the diet of grain, grain, and more grain.

He seems like a true sweetheart who is sad to suddenly be without his home. He's front declawed, too. I question whether they did a good job of this, because although he seems to walk ok, when I pressed on his front paws to see if he had claws it seemed to hurt him, and his feet don't both look the same.

I am goig to be marketing him hard on this list soon because he is a totall doll baby and he deserves a home with a very special person who will never do s to him again!

The thing that gets me is his family giving him up. It seems like they did sincerely care for him to some extent, he's been to the vet like, 15 times, and after he was diagnosed in July she did what she waas supposed to do and took him back for recheck in September. He came with over a box of syrginges and his insulin. She'd been buying th vet recommended special diet, which he came with a bag of. She surely had no way of knowing what a shitty diet it is. Her note said she was pregnant and having difficulty controlling ehr asthma, and that was the reason for give up, but it also seems that they have another cat as well, and as far as I know they didn't give the other cat up. I just don't get it. How you drop off a 10 year old cat you've had his whole life when he has a chronic illness. Especially when you are apparently a rerasonably conscientious pet owner. I just don't get it.

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Stef, may sound crazy but are you sure he is declawed and that they just didn't cut down all the way for blood tests? I only ask this because when I picked up Hope at the airport, all the way home in the car in the back seat I had my hand in the Sherpa bag petting her all over. Then I reached her paws and was stroking them and didn't feel claws. Then I started going over her front paws with my hands, nothing was there. Just a few weeks later she was plucking at my sofa and surprised the heck out of me when I heard it. Declawed kitties can't pluck. I picked her up and there were claws coming in. Apparently, vet in CA cut her claws for blood draws for a curve before I got her. Honest to God, there was nothing there in the beginning.

3. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

vet in CA cut her claws for blood draws for a curve before I got her - WTH???? Is that vet insane?? Little prick in the ear, draw a vein, nah just chop the cats fingers off, what a choice :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thank you for rescuing Boo Boo, he does sound like a sweet kitty. Hope his new diet and insulin help him get healthy and there's a furrever home in his near future. I agree, its just unimaginable to just give up a kitty you've had so long for something so treatable.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

You are, as ever, a sweetheart, Stefani. Give my Ennis mini me a snuggle from me.

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Stef, he sounds wonderful. I'm hoping he'll be like Hope said and have claws, but ouch... that sounds horrible.

I can't wait to hear more about as you get to know him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.