Sweet Foster Health and Naming Contest Update!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by stefani&toonces, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stefani&toonces

stefani&toonces Member

Hello to all and thank you to those of you who suggested names for my current Foster cat, formerly named Boo Boo and shelter-named Arthur. Here is an update and my plans for continuing the naming contest!

He is doing well. I started Lantus Sunday night and have increased his dose to 1.5 units. 58 is the lowest I've seen him which was mid-cycle yesterday after a preshot of around 280. However, his insulin isn't lasting a full 12 hours yet. His body wants to be on an 11 hour schedule. There are times I can do that and times I can't. I am hoping as he gets to spend more time lower the duration of his lantus will improve. Was disturbed by a 400+ preshot this morning at 12.5. I am pretty sure its NOT rebound based on my observations of his pattern so far.

He is spending less time under the bed now. He realizes now that he owns the bed! He has a VERY loud purr, and he purrs a lot. He is rubbing against things now. He loves loves loves to be brushed. He is moderately playful. (He will play with the string that pulls the window blinds, and I've caught him going to town with his back feet on a nip stick). His favorite thing, though, is sitting in the window.

He is NOT much of an eater. This is both good and bad. It is good because I don't have to worry that if I leave food out for him, he'll scarf it down and have sky high numbers. On the other hand I am trying to trust that if he goes low, he will eat. I do notice that so far when I've noticed him eating his numbers were lower, and when he's high (300+) he doesn't seem to want to eat.

He's a grazer.

I am thinking he's either had a dental which took out a key tooth, or else something might be hurting him in there, because he chews on one side and food falls out of his mouth. This is odd to me because the glimpses I've gotten of his pearly whites, they look really good to me, and I don't see any noticeable gum inflammation. But I will get a better look Sunday at the vets. If he needs a dental I know she will arrange it.

He likes BeechNut baby food (chicken) which I've resorted to to get him to eat more. I also have used some bonito flakes Venita gave me. He will eat Fancy Feast Savory Salmon (the other varieties not so much) and hasn't made up his mind about EVO (sometimes he seems to like it other times not).

He's not a food-focused cat. Also a new experience for me. I am used to fostering cats that will knock you over to get to food. With him, the bag of Royal Canin is sitting on the bookshelf in the room he's in, and he is making no attempts to get at it.

He is perky and seems to feel reasonably well, so I am not concerned that the poor appetite is anything concerning, except possibly dental in nature.

OK, so now to the FUN STUFF!!!!!!!

Naming . . .

You guys gave me so many cool suggestions, I like them ALL.

I have had a request from a very special angel (you know who you are) to give him a "real" name.

As I am so prone to talk baby talk to my cats, real names always morph into something silly sounding, so I've decided he needs TWO names!

One (the first one) a serious name (like, a believable human name)
    and Two (the second one) can be more fanciful

I am going to through the suggestions, plus some of my own, up on a survey tool and ask for votes. One column will be for his first name and the other for his second name.

Stay tuned . . . .

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh NO You did not just leave us with a teaser! How could you! :eek:

I read and read and read only to be left dangling with nothing to grasp! No fair Stef!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.