Sweet Gypsy - Five Years Later

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Rachel, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

My yearly tribute to my sweet girl. She crossed the Rainbow Bridge five years ago today. Gypsy was a sweet, loving cat. She loved snuggling with either of her humans or the other cats. She never fought with them or tried to find time to herself. As soon as I sat down, she'd come along to claim her spot in my lap. She had a little laser toy that she absolutely loved...she'd come running when she heard the clicking noise the button made and chase it for hours! She did love to sleep in doorways (we learned to step slowly over thresholds in the dark after she got kicked a few times!). She was a big fan of pillows...anything she could use to rest her head on. This included toys, books, the remote, and my arm. Even when she got sick, the vet said she was a sweet girl and used to ask me how to stop her purring so they could listen to her heart!

When she got diagnosed with diabetes, I was devastated. I never thought I could handle it. FDMB saved us both for sure. I learned so much here and within a week or two, Gypsy would come running when she heard me shake her lancet box to get her test (and her treat!). She never complained about the shot and while she griped during the test sometimes, she never tried to get away. She got very sick very fast at the end, and as she went to sleep, I was there petting her and telling her how much I loved her. The vet and I had a good cry together (she even chased me down as I left to give me one more hug!). Her ashes are buried out back under a tree with daffodils growing. The other cats have a large window that they can sit by and look out on her.

I'm so grateful we found this place and I'm honored to pay it forward by helping out here. Her legacy lives on both in the very healthy wet food diet my cats are now eating and in the FDMB.

Gypsy's song was (obviously) "Gypsy" by Fleetwood Mac. I play it when I miss her most and sometimes it comes on the radio like a little hello from her. Take a moment and listen to it in her honor if you'd like. Fly high, baby girl! You'll always be missed.

FurBabiesMama, majandra and Caitlin M like this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is lovely, Rachel. I remember last year you put a YouTube link to the Fleetwood Mac song and I was teary eyed watching it. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thank you for all the help you continue to give here. :)

Jenna Josie likes this.
  3. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I am bawling my eyes out. Hopefully all of our fur babies are on the rainbow bridge together. cat_wings>o

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I forgot I included the link last year! Here it is again in case anyone feels inclined to watch:

I'm sure they are all together Lisa. :bighug::bighug:

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  5. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

It’s absolutely true that her legacy lives on here, and I’m so grateful!

I actually think about Gypsy every now and then bc the way she’s standing in her picture, it looks like she has tiny sweet little feet, and my civvie stands just that way once in a while. :)

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Oh @Rachel I don't even know where to start. I'm so filled with gratitude that sweet Gypsy taught you so much about diabetes, and that you have in turn stayed here on the board and taught all of us what you learned from your dear little girl. You have both been such a tremendous gift to all of us! I hope you find some comfort in knowing that Gypsy brought you here and that you have literally saved the lives of so many fur babies, carrying on her legacy. Not to mention that you have also saved the sanity of so many of us beans through the years!

Kris & Teasel and Jenna Josie like this.