GA Sweet Tasha

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by stacia, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stacia

stacia Member

I haven't posted here regularly in awhile and hate to return under these circumstances. Still, I feel like posting here is part of closing the loop that I need to complete.

We helped my dear Tasha, age 17+, pass early on the morning of June 22. Even though it's been over six weeks, my heart is still completely broken and I can't believe she isn't here anymore.

She had been on insulin since August of 2014 and while we never achieved remission, she was on the teensiest of doses. She was sometimes a difficult patient but she was super cooperative when it came to testing and injections. My girl really thrived after her diagnosis.

Unfortunately, she went downhill very quickly. Over the weekend, she was crying and spinning when trying to go potty. We thought she may be constipated and took her to the emergency vet where they gave her an enema based primarily on what we were reporting and also an x-ray. They also gave her fluids. She acted OK that evening and next morning. The next afternoon, our vet called back with her blood test results. She said she was surprised Tasha was even alert with values so horrible. We had just had her tested in March and everything was fine. We took her in that evening to learn how to give her sub-qs. She hadn't been eating well and that night, she ate a ton of chicken baby food.

But as the night went on, she kept crying. She couldn't get comfortable and her tongue kept hanging out. Around 10:30, we knew what we had to do. She crossed sometime after midnight as my husband held her and I stroked her head.

We will adopt again, if for no reason other than our remaining kitty, Ripley, is NOT a solo kitty. They didn't get along great but we've had to go out of town a couple of times and he just screams when he's left alone. In September, we plan to bring him home a companion.

Thank you for all of the advice and support this board has offered over the years. We wouldn't have made it as far as we did without you. I was able to adopt all of her meds, syringes, etc to a local shelter to help other sugar kitties, which made me feel a little better.

Here's what I posted on my FB after she passed:

She wasn't just A cat. She was OUR cat, which means she was the BEST cat. Tasha spent over 17 years ensuring everyone knew she was a complete bad ass. She had earned her reputation as a New Yorker with vets, visitors, and many friends online. But with us, especially as she grew older, she was a very sweet girl. She came to us as a going away present when we moved from Buffalo to Raleigh, changing residences and exploring hotels up and down the east coast. Her early fondness for marshmallows, potatoes, and cupcakes likely contributed to her diagnosis of diabetes three years ago. She sat for her twice-daily blood sugar tests like a champ, usually purring and drooling in our laps. Her decline was fast and we did all we could, but last night it was clear that she was asking to go. It was both the easiest and hardest decision we've ever made. We miss our beautiful girl so much but we are richer for having her in our lives.

She may not be covering everything with her fur anymore, but she will always be in our hearts.

Attached Files:

Pepper & Kim likes this.
  2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

May fond memories of your beloved, Tasha, warm your heart always cat_wings>o

stacia likes this.
  3. Lillie

Lillie Member

What a lovely tribute to your sweet Tasha. I always wished they could live as long as we do but it seems like such a short ride. Even 17 years is too short a time. So sorry it was her time to depart.

stacia likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It sounds like she didn't suffer long. While going downhill quickly leaves us little time to mentally prepare (my boy Zimmy went down in a matter of 4 days ago I know what that's like), in the end is a comfort that they weren't feeling horrible for along time.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    TempestsMum and stacia like this.
  5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear that Tasha has crossed the Bridge.

What a beautiful girl. Tasha obviously brought much love to your life and you returned that love multiple times over. One of the most important gifts we can give our furbabies is to allow them to go when the pain is bad and QOL is waning. It is the hardest thing we will ever do but it is the greatest gift of love. Time is meaningless as we walk the path of grief. It is almost 3 months since I lost my boy and I still cry every day. Hold close all the special memories to give you some peace and strength.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    stacia likes this.
  6. stacia

stacia Member

Yes, I will always be consoled by the fact that she went very quickly. It was almost as if she was fine until the doctor called and read us the labs. Once we knew, she seemed to let go. I'll also be grateful that it was such a clear decision. As much as it hurt, it was clearly the only choice.

Thank you all for the kind words. Sometimes I feel guilty because it doesn't hurt, and then I find myself falling apart over something small. 17 years was a long time to be together so this won't heal for me overnight.

7. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

I am very sorry that it was your sweet girl's time to cross the bridge. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

stacia likes this.
  8. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I am so sorry. The pictures are precious. :bighug:

stacia likes this.
  9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you've lost your lovely kitty. :bighug::bighug:

stacia likes this.
  10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear it was Tasha's time to leave you

Fly free sweet Tasha and land softly...there are lots of friends at the bridge to welcome you and keep you company until the time when you're reunited with the one you loved most cat_wings>o

stacia likes this.
  11. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

What a beautiful girl, with a beautiful soul. I am so sorry it was Tasha's time to go to the Bridge. That last gift of love is always the hardest to give, but you heard her when she told you it was time, and helped her move on with dignity. She will be waiting for you at the Bridge.

goodbyes.jpeg

Fly free, sweet Tasha, travel safely and land softly at the Bridgecat_wings>o
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

stacia likes this.
  12. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

What a great life you gave to such a beautiful girl. May she fly freely to the bridge and land safely, waiting for you there.cat_wings>o

stacia likes this.
  13. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful kitty. Take comfort in the happy memories as much as you can. I'm happy to hear you are opening your heart to another kitty and give your love to him/her. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

stacia likes this.
  14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear of Tasha's passing. It is never easy. We love them so much.
    RIP Tasha :rb_icon:cat_wings>o

stacia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.