Sweetpea surgery help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Me&Sweetpea, Oct 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Me&Sweetpea

Me&Sweetpea New Member

Yes, hello everybody. Tomorrow Sweetpea is undergoing anesthesia to explore what is ailing her and to then possibly address the findings. At the beginning of the year, she had 4 teeth extracted. The four teeth are all upper teeth, two premolars and two molars and now she has, what I believe, oronasal fistula, which is a condition that leaves a hole (where the teeth were extracted) that leads into the nasal breathing passages. Sweetpea bears all the signs of an oronasal fistula: besides the stressed breathing, she has much difficulty eating or drinking and its because the food or water enters her nose. Twice, she suffered a build up or small mass at the top of her nasal passages between her eyes that eventually drained. I have seen five to six veterinarians with all of them blaming the diabetes for her troubles, saying that diabetes can cause upper respiratory problems, however, the antibiotics and/or insulin have done nothing for her symptoms. So, I have had to "pull the trigger" and insist that Sweetpea gets put under anesthesia tomorrow seeing that she has basically stopped eating this past week or drinking much. The veterinarian had the blood test results and called me yesterday to say that she wanted to wait until Sweetpea's glucose reading was normal but I insisted. Did I make the right decision for tomorrow? It's just that I cannot stand to see Sweetpea stressed with breathing and skipping meals. And anyways, she cannot have her insulin without a meal. Please pray for Sweetpea tomorrow after 8:00 am, thanks Melissa.

2. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Sounds scary but it might be the only way to get to bottom of her problems. Prayers that all goes well and that her issues can finally be addressed. Dusty (14 yrs) and my civie Beni (15 yrs) both had some teeth removed and cleaned in the last two months; luckily all went well.

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Vines for a safe surgery and hopefully a fix.

4. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Hoping all goes well for Sweetpea tomorrow and that you get the answers you need.

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hope you get answers.

6. LexaJoy

LexaJoy Member

For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing. Sherlock needed a surgery in July (which was how we figured out he was diabetic in the first place, because his pre-surgery tests were all wonked), and the vet was pretty wary of doing anything with his numbers the way they were.... but. We couldn't start insulin, because he couldn't fast, and it turned into a whole crazy ordeal of trying to get his numbers into what they thought were acceptable ranges to do the surgery he needed, while hoping his numbers didn't get worse and compound our problems.

So I think pulling the trigger and getting this all checked out faster instead of waiting is the better choice. Take it from somebody who got talked into the waiting game and nearly went bananas with the resultant anxiety. Good luck to you and to your furbaby.

7. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

All my best wishes your way for this surgery. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.