Switched from dry to Tiki Cat and some FF pate

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lilly’s Mom, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilly’s Mom

Lilly’s Mom Member

At first Lilly was "No!! Absolutely not! I'm not eating that stuff, ugh!!" Then, as I worked with her, I could get her to eat most of a can of Tiki Cat AhaTuna. I felt so successful......then she started eating the whole can and was actually super excited. Yea!! Finally got her on a food that was good for her - and bonus = she liked it!!
    Then, OH NO, I ran out before I could get some more in.....so with great trepidation, I put down two different varieties of FF pate...one ocean fish and one salmon.....imagine my surprise when she ate BOTH bowls clean!!

So is that too much? Clearly she was hungry. I know FF has more carbs than TikiCat. Maybe thats what made her gobble it up? Should I limit her to one can am and pm? She is a big girl...she is a ragdoll and last she was weighed, weighed about 12 pounds.

And PS, I love this forum. It has saved my sanity and Miss Lilly. She is finally back to being herself. Thank you for all the support and wisdom you share so freely.

Chris & Lucy likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to read that Lilly is eating the canned food willingly. Idjit is also a big cat, 18 lbs about. We try to make sure he has at least 300 calories a day on the canned food, and also give him baked chicken breast for occasional snacks/rewards for testing or other procedures. I have read to feed 15 to 20 calories per pound. It probably also depends on the cat's activity level. I used the food chart to determine what calorie amount each can of FF or Friskies had, and before I place all the cans on the pantry shelf, I mark the calorie count on the outside of the can, That way I know how much he's getting. He's feeling a little lean these days, and he goes outside to roam around during the day, so I think I am going to be giving a little extra food. He got too fat, to about 20 lb before he was diagnosed diabetic and I don't want him getting tubby again. (Especially since he "leans" against my legs at night to sleep.)

3. Lilly’s Mom

Lilly’s Mom Member

That’s a good idea... I’ll check out the calorie content today and write it on the cans too. Little by little I’m being trained to be more organized in my care of Lilly. In the long run, she will be so much better off because of it.

4. Lilly’s Mom

Lilly’s Mom Member

I have been a researching fool this morning....poor Lilly was not getting enough to eat! The TikiCat Ahi Tuna only has 74 calories a can....two would be 148. Using the 15 to 20 calories per pound, at 12 pounds, she should be getting between 180 calories to 240 calories a day. No wonder she ate 2 cans!! So this morning she had 166 calories. She usually does eat more in the morning and less in the evening so maybe 2 cans am and 1 can pm would be a good amount for her. So glad I checked.

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I've been giving Idjit smaller, more frequent meals. He's a gobbler, and then sometimes a barfer. So he eats 5-6 x a day, and hasn't been sick at all. It's a bit of a pain, but less than cleaning up "returned" food.

6. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

Same here. Grandpa's appetite isn't what it was a couple weeks ago, but small meals throughout the day have stopped the vomiting so far. That is huge since he wasn't digesting anything before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.