Switching Food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Misty2007, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misty2007

Misty2007 Member

I have decided to switch my Misty over to fancy feast classic. I just bought a case of the fish flavors. They are her favorite. Does the flavor matter?

2. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I think the pates are the best according to everyone here. I am sure more people will weigh in on this. I am still new--but I am on here everyday now reading stories and learning. Until you get more responses you could do what I do: use the search for this website only and look up similar questions and concerns. I am on here everyday studying like I was back in college and preparing as if I have a final exam. I have also been told by my vet to take it easy on fish---but do not take my word for it! You will get help here just give it patience!

3. Misty2007

Misty2007 Member

This forum is giving more anxiety than anything else.

4. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I am so sorry I was just trying to help.

5. Misty2007

Misty2007 Member

No it’s not your fault. It’s just a lot at once and everyone seems to have differing opinions. It’s hard to know what to believe. I feel like I’m in over my head.

6. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I am in the same boat. Nermal just started insulin October 5, 2018 and I am having difficulty understanding why his numbers are still so high. I would do what your instincts tell you, you are already doing the best for Misty. My vet told me she had several clients with diabetes that do not even test before shots or switch food and just blindly give it to their cats. Which is what she was kind of suggesting I do. She is not against home testing, but did not suggest it was necessary. When my vet called me on the phone and first told me I need to switch to Fancy Feast. I went to the store and picked out all the ones I thought he would like. Which all of them had gravy in it! Then she gave a specific list of food to give to him from fancy feast and then I realized he needed pates.

7. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning Heather. I know it is overwhelming at first, and you do get a lot of members chiming in with input. Perhaps, for now just keep it simple.
    1. Insulin treatment: This you are doing. Vetsulin 1 U twice a day (please add that dosage to your signature)
    2. Home testing: Excellent and one of the best tools you have to keep kitty safe and see how the insulin is affecting Misty. (Please create a spreadsheet, or ask for help if it is confusing to you. I had help because I just couldn't get it quite right. This lets you see how the insulin and feeding actually affects the BG throughout the cycle. Invaluable information)
    3. Diet, low carb wet food: If fish is what Misty likes then yes. I try to limit the fish varieties, both with Fancy Feast and Friskies pates, because of concerns with heavy metals. I really don't know if cats prefer a variety, maybe that is just human transference? Idjit is a huge chicken fan so he gets more of those. I used the food chart found here on the board to help me choose the carb percentage I wanted for Idjit. FOOD
    I was using a Kindle at first and could not use the filter option, but it was worth it to have the list to page through and choose what to put on the grocery list and not worry about it while shopping. If Misty is a chicken lover too, maybe bake or poach a chicken breast and freeze small chunks to augment Misty's diet, or as a testing treat.
    This is how you start Heather. Then as these things become more routine, continue reading information here on the board and absorb it at your own pace. It is said that feline diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint. So, breathe, and know that you are doing your best and helping Misty.

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) and Laura bb like this.
  8. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

@Misty2007

It is so overwhelming and confusing, especially at first, and easy to feel intimidated by all the advice and seeing what others are doing. But you are learning and you can do this. You know and love Misty more than anyone else here and you will do what is best for her. Of first importance is that she eats. Lots of kitties are picky eaters. Some are coming from a dry food only diet and don't like wet foods or pate. If Misty likes and will eat fish flavors, serve her fish flavors. Later on you can try some other varieties to see how well she likes those. Switching her to Fancy Feast Classic is an excellent choice and should save you money over the Purina DM. You may want to gradually switch her over from the DM to the FF to avoid digestive upset.

Misty2007 and Laura bb like this.
  9. Misty2007

Misty2007 Member

My Misty's numbers are high as well. I did get to have her tested at the vet before they started insulin. If she was not against it what did she say? Are you testing at your vet? I am going to ask my vet about Fancy Feast on Monday, but I am not switching her from the DM right now. (Btw your Nermal is so cute!) I hope that I am doing what is right. I am working with a good organization. You are very helpful :). I try to read the forum, but I do have classes and other things that keep me from studying it more.

10. Misty2007

Misty2007 Member

I have been watching videos on home testing. I am hoping that my vet will help teach me. It doesn't seem to bad. I think I will look into meditation. Misty won't eat the chicken though.

11. Misty2007

Misty2007 Member

I am getting a little more confident. I am sure that it will take time. I intend to switch her over! :) Just for now I will keep her on DM until her next appointment.

12. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I just get a little bit more confidant everyday with it myself. I am still new I am not trying to make suggestions, just empathy really, Nermal just started insulin October 5, it has only been two weeks for him and me in this process. Knowing other people are going through the same thing I am releases just a little bit of anxiety-not all of it!

13. Misty2007

Misty2007 Member

Baby steps! I hope you get your answers as to why his numbers are too high. :/

14. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank You! Baby steps.

Misty2007 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.