? Switching from Caninsulin to Prozinc?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Capoo, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capoo

Capoo Member

Hi everyone!

After having spent a lot of time on this forum, and after having met a lot of frustrations with Capoo's diabetes (we have nearly tried all the combinations of doses of Caninsulin, met only one smooth period of 14 days before having a hypoglycemia episode: that mean's that I have only have peaceful nights during 14 days for a period of 4 months thanks to the litter noise....), I have finally convinced my vet to change the insulin.
    So, with drums beating, I am very proud to announce you that since Monday, Capoo is on Prozinc!!!!

We started Prozinc Monday evening with 2 units twice per day.
    During these 3 days, because of my job, I was only able to test him before AMPS and PMPS (see his sheet), and the numbers remain quite high. But I have noticed that his number of pees have decreased, and that he is more alert.
    I am now on holidays for one week and a half, and so will be able to monitor him closely.

Any advice? For those who have done the same switch, after how many time have you observed a great improving of your cat's condition?

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

We hope you will see some lower nadirs, around +5-7. It's possible that the higher preshots are bounces from low nadirs. As soon as you can get some data, you'll know whether that is the case or whether the dose needs to be increased a bit. Dosing is similar with Canninsulin and ProZinc. It should have a onset that is less harsh and the whole cycle should be longer, with the nadir coming later.

We have put together a protocol for ProZinc. It is in my signature in blue.

My suggestion - get a curve as soon as you can.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Great news! :)

Even better news!! :cat:

Mogs

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It looks like you have given 2 units for 3 cycles and the preshot levels are high. Can you get a curve this weekend and see if a low number is causing a bounce or if you need to increase?

5. Capoo

Capoo Member

Sue,

I'm currently doing the curve.
    What do you think?

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Well, the mid cycle numbers look good. Nadir around +5. But looks like he bounces. Maybe catch a +10 to see when he starts up and how fast?

Cats bounce till they get used to lower ranges. Hopefully that'll be soon

7. Capoo

Capoo Member

I have caught a +10: 492.

8. Capoo

Capoo Member

How do you differentiate a bounce from an insulin with a too short duration?

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I don't know how to, other than a bounce will eventually clear and duration will continue to be an issue. The other factor - sometimes - can be that a bounce is a sudden rise while duration may be a slower rise.

I think you could raise the dose by 0.25 and see how things look. He isn't dropping dangerously low, so it should be safe. And it may improve the duration if that is an issue.

10. Capoo

Capoo Member

It seems that I really have a problem of duration.
    Do you think it is time to switch to Lantus?

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If I were you, I would give it awhile. Give this dose another cycle and then raise by 0.25. The thing that is better about ProZinc vs the harsher insulins is that raising the dose doesn't mean a harsher faster drop. It should mean a longer duration and maybe a little lower nadir.

His body may need awhile to get adjusted to this new insulin. If you switched to Lantus, the advice will be to hold the dose for a week. Give it awhile - remember this is a marathon not a sprint. :D

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.