switching from Hills M/d to fancy feast?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by allie.crain97, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allie.crain97

allie.crain97 New Member

I have a 6 year old diabetic baby named Sawyer who was diagnosed over the summer. His vet has him on the Hills m/d prescription diet (wet food) which is crazy expensive. I accidentally let myself run out of it before I had the chance to order more from chewy.com (over the holiday weekend, of course) so I went to the store to get some fancy feast to feed him until I'm able to get more. The fancy feast classic wet food I've been giving him has 0g of carbs which is even less than the Hills food. My cat seems to like it a lot more and actually finishes it all in one sitting (with the Hills food he would pick at it over the course of a few hours) so my question is: would it be safe to switch him to this diet permanently? He's already going to have to switch back to the Hills food when it comes in the mail so I was wondering if it would be okay to just keep him on the fancy feast food since he seems to like it more anyway.

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

All you have to do is get over the "Am I really going to feed him this?/It looks like pig-slop!/I'm a bad person" syndrome. It's not perfect but our six cats all eat it along with some Royal Canin SO I buy to keep my vet from nagging me. For Noah I get the relief that I know he will eat something. For cats smell is everything, you don't want to see our sink.

Leah likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

The Hills MD is 13% carbs, too high in carbs and too expensive. Take a look at the Food Chart in the sticky at the top of the Main Forum page. Many of us feed the Fancy Feast classics and Friskies pates because they are lower in carbs and more affordable. Of course there are other very fine canned products that are low in carbs and other members make those choices because of levels of protein, fat or phosphorus in the FF and Friskies. I hope you hear from them also.
    Check out www.catinfo.org for excellent information on feeding cats.
    Please pay attention here: changing the diet to lower carb food will affect the blood glucose. I don't see a signature indicating that you are testing, what kind of insulin you are using or the dosage. There is also no spreadsheet with the testing data to see. You don't want to get into a hypo situation and not know what to do.
    Here are a few links that you should look at:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/suggestions-tech-support-testing-area.6/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/

The first is to create your signature, the second is to create the spreadsheet, the third is the FAQs forum, where you will find information on Hypos and an index with valuable information.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Reason for edit: Add comments
    Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  4. fatcat

fatcat Member

My fat cat was on Hills m/d and I switched him to Fancy Feast classic chicken pate. It's way better for your kitty, it has lower carbs, and it has dropped his blood glucose levels dramatically! I'm keeping him on it, never going back.

Alicia & Chester likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.