Switching from Lantus

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Briddie, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briddie

Briddie New Member

I don't want to sound uncaring, but my Max has been on insulin since January of 2011 and the price of Lantus has nearly doubled. I don't know how much longer I will be able to pay that much money. I called the vet for advice, and she suggested Humulin. The pharmacy clerk has told me that they have several customers who use it, but I don't see much support for Humulin here. Should I investigate something different, or stick with the Lantus?

Bridget

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

You're correct, there is almost zero support here for Vetsulin, Humulin, Caninsulin because they simply do not last long enough in cats. If you are able to dose every 8 hours, you might get control. ECID.

Are you keeping the lantus stored in the fridge?
    Pen or vial?
    Get 4-6 months out of the 10mL vial? Use pen to the last drop?
    Ever contacted DCIN for help with the Lantus?
    Lantus savings card program for Solostar pen?

3. Briddie

Briddie New Member

Lantus vial in the fridge. I have read a lot about it losing strength after 28 days, so I worry about stretching it out until the vial is empty. I have kept it for up to 6 weeks, but I'm afraid to keep it any longer.

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

It's not that it loses strength after 28 days. The manufacturer of Lantus never did any testing after 28 days to see how long the Lantus might last. They also expect that people will leave the vial out of the fridge. Our collective experience here, is that the Lantus can be used for 4-6 months if stored properly in the fridge.

If your cat's BG numbers start to rise inexplicably ( not a bounce, nor an infection nor an inflammation or a fur shot, etc), and stay high for too long, then you might want to buy a new vial. Also, if the Lantus becomes cloudy or gets floating particles, it has become contaminated. Contamination is more of a risk I think than losing strength.

See this sticky from over in the Lantus TR forum on STICKY: LANTUS & LEVEMIR - INFO, PROPER HANDLING, & STORAGE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.