Switching from Prozinc to Lantus

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cindy Stott Anderson, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindy Stott Anderson

Cindy Stott Anderson New Member

My cat Charley is a diabetic and is trying to overcome pancreatitis. He is currently on Prozinc and we have never been able to regulate his BG. I want to try Lantus. He’s BG has been in the 400’s. I’m trying to step out of my comfort zone (and lack of knowledge) to keep him in his comfort zone (home). He was hospitalized 3 days for critical care at our vets last week and the vet recommended he go to ER for continued care over the weekend. But it is too expensive. I’ve been giving fluids, pain meds, appetite stimulant, and doing BG checks. He has improved and with a wing and a prayer, we can help him get through this. I need to know how to switch from Prozinc to Lantus.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Cindy, sorry you have been through so much with Charley. What were they treating him for at the vet clinic. Was it just pancreatitis? Any mention of ketones?

And sorry, one more question, do you have a spreadsheet of his blood sugar numbers? The transition can be a tricky time, depending on what else he has going on. Since Prozinc is an in and out insulin, you just start Lantus when you are ready to. But since it is a depot insulin, it can take several days for the depot to build and for you to see results. This is tricky if you have DKA or history of ketones. I hope you are ketone testing daily with recent pancreatitis and numbers as high as you have seen. The starting dose for Lantus depends on a few things, one of which is the data in the spreadsheet.

Welcome, make sure you read the yellow starred Sticky Notes at the top of this forum. Ask questions.

3. Cindy Stott Anderson

Cindy Stott Anderson New Member

No ketones spilling into urine. I keep records of my curves and I can get his BG testing from the vet for the last 3 days.

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Cindy and Welcome to Lantus and Lev group. Bubba was on Prozinc for the first 6 months and I switched to Lantus and so glad I did. It is much easier to use an insulin that has a protocol to follow. With ProZinc, I always felt like I was "guessing" at a dose.

If you get a spread sheet up and up and going, we can help you better. If you need help setting up the SS just ask and someone can help you. Keep asking questions as that is how we all learned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.