Switching from vetsulin to prozinc: Part 16

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and Smoky, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

2. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky stayed flat from +4 up to +11. He was 86 at +4 and down to 55 at +6. I gave him a little HC food for lunch and then dinner. He was 85 at +11 and was really hungry so I checked his BG early tonight.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hungry is good.

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Glad he's hungry!

5. Lisa and Smoky

He looks so sad right now.o_O

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Reason for edit: Add on to post
  6. Kris & Teasel

Poor Smoky ... :bighug::(

7. Lisa and Smoky

He is hungry again, I feel so bad for him. He is so very skinny. I'm going to try and get him in to the vet this week for his final journey. I hate seeing him this way. :(

Attached Files:

8. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

((Lisa)) Praying for strength and peace for you this week.

Lisa and Smoky likes this.
  9. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky had a BG of 186 for am. I can barely get him to eat more than a few bites. I'm not sure if I shld just give him a tiny dose of maybe 0.25 units or skip shot.
    I can give him a pill for nausea and/ or an appetite stimulant. Short of that I may need to syringe feed until I can get him into the vet. I gave Smoky 0.25 units this morning. ( see comment on his SS)

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Reason for edit: New info
  10. Kris & Teasel

If he won't eat skipping the shot is OK I think. This has to be an excruciatingly difficult time for you, Lisa. We're all here ... :bighug:

11. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks Kris
    He is sleeping in his bed right now. He is still drinking water at least. I just didn't know about skipping the shot since he was a NS last night too. I'm calling the vet tomorrow to see if I can bring him in on Tuesday or Wed at the latest. If he needs to go before then I will have to take him to the ER vet.

12. Kris & Teasel

I really hope you can see your old vet. You need this to be in a comforting environment with people you like and trust.

13. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I agree with Kris, this is a hard enough time for you :bighug:

14. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks for all the hugs everyone.
    I'm giving Smoky some Wellness turkey dinner in gravy. He will sometimes eat a new food he never had before, at least once that is. It's HC food but if that's all I can get him to eat this morning. :confused:I gave him some bupe earlier today. I'm hoping that he will want to eat a little more once the pain meds kick in. It usually takes about 2 hours for that to happen and it's been 1 and a half hours now. He ate about a 1/4 of a small can of food so far. It's so weird that he was eating 5 or 6 small cans of food every day just a week or two ago.

15. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Poor little guy. We're here for you, Lisa. I do hope you can get him to your old vet for both your sakes. :bighug:

16. Lisa and Smoky

I have an appt to take Smoky in tomorrow with his old vet at 11:45 am Eastern time.
    It's his time to cross the rainbow bridge.
    My mom took this really nice pic of the two of us yesterday. I think I'm going to have a wall poster made from it.

17. Yong & Maury GA

I think that's a great idea, Lisa. I'm sorry you have to take him in earlier than planned. He will go feeling loved :bighug:

18. Kris & Teasel

So sad but you're doing the right thing for your boy. You've done everything you could for him. Yes, do have a poster made up from the photo. He appears to be looking into the camera, ears up, and that's a good way to remember him at the end.

I was always with mine at the vet's until the very end. It was very upsetting but very peaceful. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

19. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh Lisa. I'm so sorry you're having to do this, but yes, it is absolutely the right thing. We always agonize over this decision, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone here express that they wish they had waited longer. It's hard, but he's ready and he knows how loved he is. 11:45 is 10:45 my time and know that at that moment, I'll be pausing at work and thinking about you both. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

20. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky may not make it through the night. His breathing has slowed down a lot and he seems vaguely aware of what is going on around him. I gave him some bupe about 7 hours ago. He doesn't seem to be in pain or distress. His breathing isn't labored from what I can tell.

21. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky crossed the rainbow bridge at 6:30 am this morning, Eastern time. I laid with him all night on the bed and talked to him and petted him and told him how much I loved him and how much he meant to me. Fly free my sweet boycat_wings>o

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Reason for edit: Add on to post
  22. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Oh Lisa! I'm so sorry that Smoky has crossed, but what a beautiful way for him to spend his last hours in the place that he felt safe and surrounded by your love. May you have peace in knowing that you gave him such a good life and that he left knowing your love and presence in his last moments. A hug through the internet isn't the same, but I hope you will at least feel a little bit of our love for you come through the screen.

23. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh Lisa! I'm so sorry Smoky has crossed the Bridge. But I'm glad you were able to be there with him and perhaps it was best for him to pass peacefully at home. No stress or car ride or vet...just drifting gently away feeling safe and loved.

I'd give anything to be there right low but know that we're thinking of you today and sending hugs and love. Fly free, sweet Smoky!

24. Yong & Maury GA

Passing in the comfort of his home with his loving Momma, land softly little Smoky boy. :bighug:
    May fond memories of your beloved, Smoky, warm your heart always Lisa! I know they will cat_wings>o

25. Kris & Teasel

Oh, Lisa, I'm so sorry. At the same time I'm glad it happened at home with you. He didn't have the stress and fear of a vet visit and you were able to talk to him. I know they sense our energy and emotion. We're here for you if we can help in any way ... :bighug::rb_icon:cat_wings>o

26. Lisa and Smoky

My mom, brother, and I moved into a house together about six months ago.
    My mom has two civvies who miss their friend. I thought it would be too hard to have her cats around but I think it helps some to have them around.

27. Kris & Teasel

I'm glad you have your family there and, yes, those other kitties can be good therapy for you.

28. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

I'm so sorry, Lisa. There were no strangers at the vet's office or dogs barking in the background. Smoky was at home with his familiar surroundings and you right there sharing that special time and talking to him as he passed. I'm praying for peace for you during this extremely difficult time.

29. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like a nice way to go bring loved at home in a peaceful environment. Sending healing and peaceful vines for your heart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.