? Switching from vetsulin to prozinc- Part 2

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and Smoky, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good choice again, Lisa. You're a pro! :)

2. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'm working at it.
    +9.5 was 154.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  3. Lisa and Smoky

Now let's see where he is at PMPS.
    It's such a huge difference how he is with the prozinc compared to the vetsulin .:cat:

4. Kris & Teasel

That's just wonderful Lisa! I know how very worried you were a while back. :D

5. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa..Elmo is currently on vetsulin and i am trying to gather info to help me make a switch to another insulin.My vet only normally gives vetsulin or prozinc so I would love to hear your wisdom on why you switched and how the change has gone. I am not sure what i will encounter when i take Elmo to vet on Monday, 12/19 ....have asked them about the L insulins which they have never used so i want to be ready if they insist on only prozinc as an alternative. Thanks so much in advance for your wisdom and experience that will help me go to the vet better informed.(PS Kris has been one of Elmo"s main godmothers//she is the best:)

6. Kris & Teasel

Aw, shucks, Beth ... digging toe into the ground and blushing. :rolleyes:

7. Lisa and Smoky

Hi Beth... Smoky has only been on prozinc for about three weeks now(Nov 23). My vet doesn't normally prescribe the L insulins either but said I can try any insulin I want. I chose prozinc as it is far less expensive than the L insulins. Lantus would have been my first choice but it is out of my reach cost wise right now. The prozinc is about $120 for a vial in PA.

The major difference I noticed between the two is that Smokys BG would dive fast on the vetsulin. See his SS earlier on to see what I mean, he was better when he was on lower doses. I didn't like that he would drop 200 to 300 points in 3 or 4 hours and then his BG would jump again into very high numbers. The vetsulin didn't seem to last more than 6 hours at a time. The second month he was on vetsulin he seemed to be stuck in higher numbers a lot of the time. Smoky seemed lethargic and depressed on it and had a very poor appetite and was nauseous.

The prozinc by contrast started working after a week. I like that I don't have to make sure he eats a lot right before I give the shot. Also, his appetite is so much better now than it was. I don't know how Elmo does on the vetsulin but Smoky had too many problems with it. I've done spot checks and a few curves on him while on the prozinc and his numbers are far better now. Smokys BG was high for a while due to a UTI he had for a few weeks. As soon as he was over that his BG started to get more stable and he was feeling a lot better on the prozinc. IMO, smoky has made far more progress in 3 weeks on prozinc than he ever did while on vetsulin for 2 months.

I hope this helps you out a little. I'm afraid I tend to ramble on from time to time so just give me a shake if I do that.:smuggrin:
    One other thing, I was not home testing at first and only now and again when I was.
    I realize how important that is now, especially when Smoky is going into lower numbers at times. I need to know if it is safe to give him his shot or if it is what dose to give him.

8. Lisa and Smoky

OK so PMPS for Smoky was 281 up from the 154 at +9.5 hours. Was the almost 2.75 unit dose too much for him yet? His am numbers were going down and now are back up again and he is getting his pm shot soon. Back to the 2.5 again?

9. Kris & Teasel

Your choice, Lisa but I think you could try 2.75 u again. The AM and PM PSs won't always match but if they trend in that general direction, it's a good sign. You're still accumulating data on ProZinc as Smoky's dosage changes so it's hard to make definite statements about what to do or what will happen. The more data as time goes on, the more you'll see trends and patterns.

10. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks Kris,
    I was leaning towards the 2.75 units. Is it possible he may not need the same dose with prozinc that he had with the vetsulin? They are similar insulins in their make up except one is slower acting and one is fast acting.

11. Kris & Teasel

Yes. it's quite possible. In fact, you might find that his dose will fall as he spends more time in good numbers because there's less of the toxic effect of glucose impairing his ability to respond.

12. Lisa and Smoky

Does it mean his liver and pancreas are getting a "rest" whenever he is at lower BG numbers? Do FD kitties heal then with the blues and yellows?

13. Kris & Teasel

I think that's one way of looking at it and it relates to cats' ability to go into remission. They're always diabetic but can stop requiring insulin.

14. Kris & Teasel

I really like those nice yellow PSs. Did you give him 2.5 u this AM?

15. Kris & Teasel

Everything OK with you and Smoky?

16. Lisa and Smoky

Sorry Kris, we were putting up our Christmas tree

17. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky seems to have a bit of a cold. I gave him a little less than 2.75 units for am.

18. Kris & Teasel

Very nice!

19. Kris & Teasel

Sneezing and runny eyes?

20. Lisa and Smoky

Yep but he also has indoor allergies to mold and dust mites so hard to tell sometimes. also some tree pollen and grasses

21. Kris & Teasel

I'm sure it is. My allergist/immunologist's office has a little stuffed toy dust mite on the counter ... odd but cute!

Lisa and Smoky likes this.
  22. Lisa and Smoky

I will have to soon start a new thread, part three of switching from vetsulin

23. Lisa and Smoky

Smokys PMPS is in about 30 min so am hoping he is not too high or low

24. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky at 265 for PMPS, his last three doses were just under 2.75u. I was thinking about giving him the same dose for pm shot. Going to do a curve on Monday, it's been two weeks on Sunday since his last one.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Reason for edit: New info
  25. Kris & Teasel

I'm confused, Lisa. I see 2.75 u as last three doses.

26. Lisa and Smoky

Sorry that was a misprint. I'll edit it

27. Kris & Teasel

Whew! I was worried.

28. Lisa and Smoky

I'm about to give him his pm shot so stick with same dose?

29. Kris & Teasel

Yes, I think that's the way to go.

30. Lisa and Smoky

Thank you for all your help and encouragement.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  31. Kris & Teasel

:)

32. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky: AMPS 230
    Giving same dose as last night, 2.75 u

33. Kris & Teasel

Looks good. Even though his PMPSs are slightly higher, he's doing well. Are you planning to try a test in the +5 to +7 range to see how low he goes? Might give you a good reference point to compare with your curve tomorrow, even if you use the AT meter for that.

34. Lisa and Smoky

I was thinking about getting in a +6 test today. It's halfway between cycles so thought it would be a good reference point. I was actually thinking he might need a little less than the 2.75 u, maybe try 2.5 instead?

35. Kris & Teasel

I agree.

36. Lisa and Smoky

What the heck happened? I tested Smokys BG at +6.5 and it was 56! I feel that I shld run to the store and get him some high carb food. I am giving him some nine lives lower carb food right now. When should I test him again?

37. Lisa and Smoky

I do have honey and Karo syrup just in case.

38. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd test in 15 -20 minutes. If regular food will bring him up, that'd be best. 50 is our "get nervous" number and he is a little way up from that, but you don't want him to drop below 50.

Maybe you have hit his magic dose and you can start shaving off now.

39. Kris & Teasel

Stick with the lower carb food for now and recheck in 30 minutes. If he's rising then, you could do a quick store run if it's not too far. In a pinch you can put a little honey or karo in the low carb food if he'll eat it. Don't feed to much at once in case you have to keep giving these little snacks. You don't want him to get too full.

40. Kris & Teasel

Sue beat me to it! You might well be near his magic dose and that's why you're seeing this big reaction. It's scary but good. Start thinking what you'll drop his dose to tonight. I'd recommend testing fairly frequently (hourly?) to see how this plays out. You don't have any of these stories on your SS to date. :)

41. Kris & Teasel

BTW - Teasel dropped a lot today mid cycle and I had to cancel an afternoon Christmas get together to monitor him here. There's something in the air ... ;)

42. Lisa and Smoky

Store is only 10 min drive and my roommate is here to go to store for me if needed. I love that she does stuff like that for me and smoky

43. Kris & Teasel

Excellent! Might be good to have a few cans of gravy/sauce style food on hand since he seems to be liking the ProZinc a bit too much right now. As you get into dose dropping range these exciting events can pop up periodically. Good thing you're home tomorrow too.

Is Smoky carb sensitive? I've just found out that Teasel isn't terribly. Good info to have.

44. Kris & Teasel

Two things:

1. Have you retested his BG? How was it?
    2. Might be good to start a new thread - same title but "Part 3"?

45. Lisa and Smoky

He was 69 at +7 after half an oz low carb food. Do I copy part 2 to the new thread. I'm trying to remember how I did that

46. Kris & Teasel

Good BG. As for thread: copy the URL for this page from up top in the browser bar and paste it into your first message on a new thread.

47. Lisa and Smoky

OK, I'll give it a try. I gave smoky 1.5 oz of low carb food, he ate about an oz. He seems a little better, not so wobbly now

48. Lisa and Smoky

Ugh:banghead: I pasted everything instead of just the URL. how do I delete the new thread and start over?

49. Kris & Teasel

Go to the thread title area on your page, look right and a little downward and in tiny letters you'll see "Thread Tools". Click on "edit title".

50. Kris & Teasel

Good to know that he shows signs like wobbliness when his BG is low. Teasel doesn't.

51. Lisa and Smoky

I don't see thread tools so don't know what I did. It might just be my phone and I'll have to go in my laptop

52. Lisa and Smoky

So I created the thread but can't get URL from part 2 onto part three

53. Kris & Teasel

Can you copy the URL from your browser bar on your laptop and just paste it into the body of your first message on the new thread?

54. Lisa and Smoky

I'll try it, smoky is almost at +8 so shld check him again soon

55. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky is at 95 for +8
    I gave him a purely FF low carb real salmon piece snack. He is being such a trooper

56. Kris & Teasel

Very good! Those freeze dried snacks are the best. Having a cooperative kitty makes all this more manageable, not easy, but manageable. :)

57. Lisa and Smoky

Actually they are not freeze dried, it's just a tiny piece of real salmon. it's made by purely FF

58. Kris & Teasel

Sounds delicious to me because I love smoked salmon. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.