Switching from vetsulin to prozinc: Part 5

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and Smoky, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Link worked fine! Glad you reduced...he definitely needed it! Those yellow preshots are nice!

3. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky was 193 for AMPS so am deciding between 1.5 and 1.75 units? Leaning towards the 1.5 though.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Reason for edit: New info
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I like 1.5 u, Lisa.

5. Lisa and Smoky

Yep, I thought so too. I gave him 1.5 units this morning. I didn't want to chance him having a hypo or near hypo.;)

6. Kris & Teasel

I see that you posted on the L&L forum asking about Lantus and got some feedback. Any thoughts?

7. Lisa and Smoky

I'm still reading all the stickies on there yet. The price of Lantus is the hardest part to consider. The dosing doesn't seem to be as flexible as the prozinc. Smokys BG's seem to be stabilizing again. I ordered the u100 syringes and they sent me the wrong order so I had to return it.:eek: I shld get the right ones with half markings in a few days. What size needle do you use with Teasel? The 5/16 or 1/2 inch ones?

8. Kris & Teasel

I use 29G 1/2 inch needles on Teasel. I find these thin enough while being a bit less prone to bending and I like the slightly longer needle because it gives a little more margin depth-wise. My hands are crap so I need all the help I can get. ;)

Yes, Lantus is very expensive for you. However, many people order from Marks Marine Pharmacy here in Canada and from what I gather that's perfectly legal. You can post on L&L to ask more about that. The dose timing is definitely more restrictive with Lantus because of the depot. ProZinc is so very flexible - one of the things that I really like about it.

9. Lisa and Smoky

That is the same size I use for Smoky with the u40 syringes, I have two boxes of those now. I had a hard time in the US finding u100 syringes with half unit markings that are 29 G and 1/2 inch?

I spoke to pharmacist about that and it's more common to find u100 syringes that have half markings with shorter needles which I don't like. She gave me a few sites that sell them with 1/2 inch needles.

I know you use FS lite strips in your AT2 meter at times. Do you always do a comparison between those and AT2 strips when you open a new bottle? I ask this since I have a new unopened bottle of FS lite strips but only 3 or 4 AT2 test strips left. Do I need to change the code on my AT2 meter each time I open a new bottle of strips?

MiCo likes this.
  10. Kris & Teasel

I buy my U100 syringes with half unit marks from my vet because it's hard to find those at a human pharmacy here and the price is the same. I pay $25 CAD per box of 100 and can buy OTC if a human pharmacy stocked them. You can probably get them cheaper where you are.

Re FS strips: I'm using them almost exclusively now because I've learned to trust their readings in my AT meter. They read very close to the AT strips. I start by testing a strip from a new vial of FSs with the AT control solution. At the beginning I always did 3 or 4 same drop comparison tests when I started a new vial. This last time I didn't, only did the control solution test. I really should have done at least a couple of same drop comparisons. However, if Teasel throws a low number I always retest with an AT strip to verify. The last time I did that recently, the FS strip in AT meter gave me a 5.6 and the AT strip a 5.4. Not the same drop but still a good comparison.

I leave my AT meter set at whatever cat code my current vial of AT strips requires. So - at this point, my supply of very $$$$ AT strips ($102 CAD for a 50 strip vial from my vet) is relegated to being used as "double checking" strips or to use if I end up in the position of tracking progress through a hypo.

My plan going forward is to keep using the FS strips routinely but always have a backup vial of AT strips fer verification purposes. I know that FS strips are still pricey for you compared to other human meter strips. Almost all test strips here are relatively expensive and we can't get Walmart ReliOn products here. The FS is a decent compromise for me.

MiCo likes this.
  11. Lisa and Smoky

The FS lite strips run about $60 for a vial of 50 in my area. I can't get AT2 test strips from my vet, have to order them online.
    So you reset code on AT2 meter each time you start a new vial, is that correct?
    The AT2 strips are $55 to $60 for 50 of them so about the same price. The Relion strips are $35 for 100 of them.
    What brand do you use for the u100 syringes?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    MiCo likes this.
  12. Kris & Teasel

Yes, the AT meter has to be set at whatever cat code number is on the vial of AT strips. Having said that, I've had cat code 38 for several AT vials in a row. There isn't a large number of different codes. My FS strips end up costing me about $36 CAD for a vial of 50.

I've had Monoject brand syringes from my vet, Ulticare from a human pharmacy and the last several boxes from my vet are a brand called Elimedical marketed to vets for animals. They have a cat and a dog on the box.

I saw on the L&L forum that you contacted Marks Marine Pharmacy. They're based in Vancouver. Would they ship Lantus to a Canadian pharmacy across the border at a point closer to you? You mentioned maybe driving to pick them up. Shipping in the winter is a problem.

13. Lisa and Smoky

I would have to get a passport first to go into Canada. I would have to check on the possibility of them shipping Lantus to a closer place. I don't actually know if it is legal to drive into Canada and transport insulin in a car across the border.
    Do you have to put in the code from a vial of FS lite test strips into the AT2 meter or is that just for the AT2 strips? Can I use the FS strips in that meter or do they have to be FS lite strips? I have a vial of the FS lite strips.

14. Kris & Teasel

No, you leave the AT meter set at the cat code from your current vial of AT strips. Ignore any code on the FS vial. When I mention FS strips, I'm referring to Freestyle Lite strips, the ones that have the butterfly on them and are identical in appearance to the AT strips. They are, in fact, identical. They're both made by Abbott/Zoetis. The difference is that the AT strips undergo special batch testing to ensure they work properly in the AT meter when it's set at the cat code on the vial.

Sounds like accessing Lantus in cold weather would be a major undertaking for you. You might consider staying with ProZinc for a bit longer although I know you're concerned about how Smoky is feeling.

15. Lisa and Smoky

He was doing better yesterday and today. I don't know how he would be though if he needs higher doses of prozinc. I read on another thread that cats with pancreatitis could benefit from being given enzymes. How do I tag someone on this forum? I believe it was @Critter Mom who mentioned it.

16. Kris & Teasel

You've just tagged Critter Mom by putting the @ symbol in front of her screen name.

I think there are many factors that play into Smoky feeling better: insulin dose, maybe ProZinc itself, more calories so he can gain some weight, more time recovering from all he's been through since diagnosis, the challenges of his other allergies, etc. He's not a simple case as I'm sure you know. I think he's still in recovery mode. His BG progress on ProZinc has been very good and it might be that his good dose will be smaller along with him becoming accustomed to lower numbers as someone else mentioned.

The best you can do right now is keep notes on his clinical signs as the PZ dose changes. Are you trying to give extra meat at his meals? More calories is one thing you can tackle right now. He's not a cat that needs any sort of restriction in amount of food at this point. How is he handling the Petsafe feeder?

17. Lisa and Smoky

I cooked a pork chop for him but he won't eat it mixed up in his canned food. I cut some of it up for him and he ate it that way. Smoky loves meat and would probably do well on a raw food diet. Unfortunately, that's not something I can afford to do right now. If he gets too filled up on the meat he won't eat his regular food. He doesn't like the pet feeder as the compartments are smaller than his bowl. He will eat out of it and has already learned that when he hears tray turning to come and look for food.:cat:

18. Kris & Teasel

Could you put some meat snacks in his Petsafe so you're not messing with his canned food meals?

19. Lisa and Smoky

Yep, I can do that. I have it set for brunch 4 hrs after his breakfast, and 4 hrs after that so he can eat lunch. I get home from work about an hour after that. I then pick up any food he still has down to have that 2 hour window open before his PMPS test.
    I still have two time spots open I can set to put in his meat snacks for him.

MiCo and Critter Mom like this.
  20. Kris & Teasel

Sounds like a plan! Many people here swear by a raw food diet but it can be expensive. I have three eating in separate rooms and different foods. Too complicated ...

21. Lisa and Smoky

I know what you mean. My roommate has two civvies, one eats his food in kitchen, the other cat eats her food in roommates bedroom, and smoky eats in my bedroom.:facepalm:

22. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky was down to 112 at +6 on the 1.5 units.

23. Kris & Teasel

Actually, that's a nice drop. Is he still feeling OK today?

24. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky is looking a bit out of sorts. I think he might be a little nauseous so may give him some cerenia tonight. His appetite has dropped a lot today. He was 174 for PMPS so debating between 1 or 1.5 units to give him tonight. The other option is to skip his shot, give him the cerenia, and see how he is in the morning. I suspect he may be having a flare up from his pancreatitis.

25. Lisa and Smoky

Beef tends to raise his BG's somewhat.
    I noticed when I stopped giving him beef or venison his BG would improve and these meats seem to aggravate his IBD.
    Oddly enough, he is allergic to chicken but not turkey, duck, pork, or quail.:joyful:.
    I don't get that at all.

26. Kris & Teasel

Maybe 1 u or 1.25 u? Maybe give him the cerenia to nip it in the bud and get him eating?

27. Lisa and Smoky

I think 1.25 might be better so his BG doesn't go up too much. It's odd that he was doing OK last night and today only eating half as much, 3 cans so far instead of his usual 4 to 5 cans of FF. I hate to wait him up to give him his shot soon.:eek:

28. Kris & Teasel

Are you going to try the cerenia?

29. Lisa and Smoky

I gave him the cerenia about 11:30 pm eastern time. That would be +3.5 hrs after pm shot. I gave him a meat snack as he gets sick when given pills on an empty stomach.

Kris & Teasel and Critter Mom like this.
  30. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa,

To the best of my knowledge pancreatic enzymes help more for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (pancreas does not secrete enough enzymes to properly digest food). I tried them with Saoirse once but didn't notice any benefit. (Normal poops without the enzymes so not really surprising.)

According to the IDEXX guidelines liver support supplements may help with the pancreas as well, e.g. Denamarin. (Contains active ingredient from milk thistle plus SAMe; supposed to have significant strong antioxidant effect. If you and your vet agree that they might be helpful be careful of nausea with Smoky because these supplements are recommended to be given preferably on an empty stomach but any time I've given them I've always given a little food at the same time.)

IDEXX pancreatitis guidelines

Mogs

31. Kris & Teasel

I think he should be fine with 1.75 u. Any improvement in appetite/behaviour this AM?

32. Lisa and Smoky

Hi Mogs,
    Smoky had taken Denamarin at one time and it made him feel better. I didn't know if it is something he can take on a regular basis though. His stools are formed but very soft. I was thinking his food is passing thru partially digested. He has very stinky poop, it's so bad we have to light candles. Any thoughts on that?

33. Lisa and Smoky

Smokys appetite seemed better, he ate almost 2 cans of FF this morning. He still seems a little out of it.

34. Kris & Teasel

When Teasel was on Cerenia it made him a bit spacey. It's a once a day med so it likely hangs around in them for a while.

35. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa,

I've used a similar supplement, Hepatosyl, and our vet said it's OK to give regularly but I suggest you check first with Smoky's vets because they will have his full history and will be able to assess whether it's OK for him to take to help resolve the flare and perhaps continue on with regularly thereafter.

Could possibly be due to pancreatitis. If the malodourous stools are yellow/pale/clay-like in colour and have a sort of 'fluffy'/marshmallowy texture (steatorrhea - see if the stools will float in the toilet bowl) that may be suggestive of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency which could be a temporary issue that resolves after a flare or could be chronic if it persists after a flare subsides, in which case pancreatic enzyme supplementation would be indicated.

I have recently learned that one possible cause of chronic diarrhoea (and perhaps vomiting) can be due to hyperthyroidism. (Lúnasa's just been diagnosed with this after months diagnostics and treatment for possible colitis/IBS.) I know from Saoirse that pancreatic issues may produce a knock-on effect in the function of other parts of the endocrine system. Saoirse was biochemically mildly hypothyroid for a time (ESS - euthyroid sick syndrome). Apparently an overactive thyroid can impact gut motility, speeding it up so that food doesn't stay in the gut long enough to be digested properly. Note: Lúnasa was severely polyphagic on one particular food; she was eating nearly double what she should have needed and she was pooping about 4-5 times a day (foul-smelling, paler, fattier stools). Also, she could not go any longer than about 3½-4 hours between feeds without throwing up.

It might be worth asking your vet whether it would be worth running some blood tests to check Smoky's status. I'd suggest checking liver and kidney function, Spec fPL to check status of pancreas, B12/folate (in case food malabsorption might have caused levels to fall), and perhaps a thyroid test.

Mogs

36. Lisa and Smoky

The vet I take smoky to said to give him 1/4 tab of cerenia every three to four days. Is it normal to give it once a day?

37. Lisa and Smoky

Hi Mogs,
    Smoky was recently tested for those things you mentioned. His vet just approved him taking the denamarin for a second time starting tonight. She also gave me bupe for him for pain caused by flare ups from the pancreatitis.
    The vet said to give it to him every 12 hours for five days. I thought it was given on an as needed basis.

38. Kris & Teasel

From Teasel's pill bottle:
    Cerenia Green 16 mg tablets. Give 1/2 tab once daily until eating well and no vomiting.
    I don't know what the "green" means in the name. At the time Teasel wasn't vomiting, just off his food.

39. Lisa and Smoky

Smokys pills are in a box and are individually wrapped until ready to give.
    Oops, it's time for his PMPS test. BRB.

40. Kris & Teasel

From Teasel's buprenorphine prescription:
    Buprenorphine 0.2 mg/mL. Give 0.3 mL once every 8 hours as needed for pain.
    He had this for his bouts of cystitis.

41. Kris & Teasel

Are you thinking of 1.75 u again tonight?

42. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky PMPS: 222
    Buprenorphine 0.3 mg/mL
    Give 0.14 mL every 12 hours
    Dose is already pre measured in syringe.
    Trying to decide what dose to give, maybe 2 units? That might be too much though.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  43. Lisa and Smoky

I was trying to think if I shld give him the bupe or not.

44. Kris & Teasel

Looks like Smoky's bupe is more concentrated than Teasel's but the dose is about half the volume. I was given an empty dosing syringe with the correct dose level marked on it. If you have a sense that Smoky is in pain you might want to give him some bupe. It's a narcotic so it can make him a bit spacey too.

You gave 2 u on a PMPS of 222 on 01/04 and he was fine. I think you can do that and get a before bed test.

45. Lisa and Smoky

OK sounds like a plan to me.

46. Lisa and Smoky

I can't really give him the bupe tonight if I have to give it every 12 hours. I would have to give it to him at the same time am and pm so would have to start him on it tomorrow.

47. Lisa and Smoky

I am a little worried about giving him bupe and then going to work all day.:nailbiting:

48. Kris & Teasel

If you can't check him mid day then maybe it would be better to wait until tomorrow evening. Or - you could give him a dose now and then the next dose tomorrow early evening. He'd get some benefit right now and then the next dose could be the start of the every 12 hour regimen.

49. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky dropped down to 107 at +3 after pm shot. I hope he doesn't go down too much more. That seems a lot in 3 hours. I'm going to wait until at least tomorrow morning. I might just wait until after work tomorrow, it would be a +9 after am shot. I could keep an eye on him for the next 6 hours after that. He actually seems better today after the dose of cerenia last night.

50. Kris & Teasel

He's giving you some exciting times I see - 2 u was a bit high after all. And a no shot this AM. Good call if you can't monitor. I realize there are limitations in deciding on a dose based on the result of that same dose in the past.

In your post above, are you referring to waiting to give bupe? If he seems better just with cerenia you could wait on the bupe. You want him feeling better but the fewer meds at one time the better. Have you given him the denamarin? You've said it's a supplement so it shouldn't be an issue and your vet OK'd it.

One day at a time ... :)

51. Lisa and Smoky

I gave him the denamarin last night. He still doesn't feel great but is a little better.
    I tested him at +11 since I gave him shot a little late last night. It might have been high enough to give a dose for am. I had to go to work so couldn't stall this morning.o_O

52. Kris & Teasel

You have to do what works for you, Lisa.

53. Lisa and Smoky

I was going to wait to give him the bupe and see how he does on the cerenia and denamarin first. He is getting his appetite back slowly.

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  54. Lisa and Smoky

Kris,
    Do you give bupe to Teasel before or after food?

55. Kris & Teasel

Hi Lisa,

Just getting home now. There's no instruction on Teasel's bottle about taking it with food. My vet usually puts a sticker on meds that need to be taken with food. I haven't used it on Teasel for a long time but don't recall anything special about food with it.

56. Kris & Teasel

That's a pretty good PMPS for not having insulin in 24 hours!

57. Lisa and Smoky

I thought so too. Did you see that I gave him 1.75 units tonight? The 2 units I gave him last time was too much. I was pleasantly surprised by his BG tonight.
    I think he will be OK with that dose. I'll be up another 3 or 4 hours to make sure he is doing alright on the bupe. I gave it to him about 15 minutes ago.

58. Kris & Teasel

Hi Lisa,
    I see the 1.5 u with a question mark. Does that mean you're not sure if it all went in or not sure of how you measured it? It's a safe dose while you're away today. How did he handle the bupe last night?

59. Lisa and Smoky

I gave him the 1.5 units for am. The question mark was before I had decided on what dose to give him. His BG was a little higher this morning so don't know if he dropped low last night. He did OK on the bupe, was a little tired for a few hours. It didn't seem to bother him at all and he seemed better today.

60. Kris & Teasel

I recall telling my vet that bupe made Teasel a bit spacey at the dose she'd prescribed for cystitis pain and she said to lower the dose. I did that - don't remember how much. He wasn't on bupe very long. Touch wood, he hasn't had cystitis since he gets "stew" as his wet meals. I think the extra water is key. I've begun doing that for my other two and they don't mind it at all. More pee lumps in the litter box though which tells me the extra water does a good job of flushing things out.

Rachel likes this.
  61. Lisa and Smoky

I just tested Smoky for his PMPS and his BG was 176! Holy moly:D He had a similar one on Jan 9 in pm which was 174. I gave him 1.25u and he only went up by 68 to 242. I thought the 1.25u might be a good dose for tonight? Or maybe one unit to keep him safe since he is not that far above his no shot number

62. Kris & Teasel

I think you could try 1.25 u because you're at home. You gave 1.5 u on a 167 on 01/02 and he was OK.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  63. Lisa and Smoky

You're right about Jan 12, didn't pick up on that one. Smoky is laying in a box in middle of living room floor so being more sociable. I gave him 1.25 units for tonight.

64. Kris & Teasel

I meant to type Jan. 02 but you understood me. It's good that Smoky is feeling better.

65. Lisa and Smoky

I don't know if I should give him more bupe or not.

66. Kris & Teasel

He got bupe last night. Did he get more this AM? You might want to give it tonight again in case it's been pain that's been dragging him down. How's his appetite, etc.?

67. Lisa and Smoky

I gave him the bupe but accidentally discharged some of it so he got a half of a dose.:eek: I didn't give him any this morning though. His appetite is better but still down from what it was.

68. Lisa and Smoky

Well, I was going to give Smoky a before bed test but had left a 1/4 canon food in his bowl on my dresser. Guess what happened? Yep, he got up there somehow and ate it.
    Can I test him anyway or will it be an inaccurate BG?

69. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sorry, Lisa! I was fast asleep at this point. Woohoo for Smoky getting that nice PMPS! I think it never hurts to get that test, even if you know he got into contraband...if nothing else, it assures you he isn't dropping so you can sleep. The contraband should keep him from dropping but you just never know! :)

70. Kris & Teasel

I was in bed by 10:30 PM last night so I'm just seeing this now. If he got up onto your dresser and ate that food he must have been 1. hungry and 2. energetic enough to find a way up. Good signs. I think your 1.5 u dose this AM should be safe. Bupe again this AM? Other meds?

71. Lisa and Smoky

Nope, he seems pretty good in the morning so have been giving him the bupe at night. Plus he gets the denamarin at night and the cerenia tonight.
    I started him on the bupe at 8:30 pm and have to start work at 8 am. It's 12 hrs apart so can't give it to him in the am.

72. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky PMPS was 223. I'm up in the air between 1.75u and 2 units. He was 222 PMPS on Jan 10 and I gave him 2 units and he went down to 107 at +3 after pm shot that day. He was 146 next morning so was a no shot then. I'm wondering if it is safe to give the 2 units again?

73. Kris & Teasel

I suggest 1.75 u because both times (on 01/04 and 01/10) you gave 2 on a 222 you ended up with a NS in the next cycle.

74. Lisa and Smoky

I was thinking that too and was just about to give him his shot . Isn't that a goal to have a low enough BG not to need any insulin?o_O

75. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky looks much better tonight although his appetite is not back to normal yet. He was eating 5 cans of FF per day and is down to 3 and a half most days. He weighs just over 8 lbs 7 oz so vet told me he needs to eat about 350 to 400 calories per day to gain weight.

76. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, eventually you want levels low enough not to need insulin. But first you want two shootable pre shots, not a pre shot too low to shoot and then the next pre shot higher. What usually happens is that the pre shots gradually go down and you lower the dose until the preshots are consistently too low to shoot.

Make sense?

77. Lisa and Smoky

Yep that makes total sense to me Sue. Thanks for the info:)

78. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky was 274 for AMPS so gave him 1.5 units since the 1.75 seemed to much.

79. Kris & Teasel

I know you're at work today so you want to be cautious. I was away from my computer much of last evening but I see that Sue gave you good info.

80. Lisa and Smoky

I'm wondering how long prozinc would last with Smokys dosing schedule. I've had the same vial since Nov 23.

81. Kris & Teasel

You're probably good at least until the end of January, maybe longer. If it's pooping out later on it should show up as an increase in BG numbers. Are you still considering Lantus?

82. Lisa and Smoky

I was thinking about trying Lantus in the late spring depending on several factors.
    I am looking into another job opportunity which would pay $5.00 more an hour than my current job. However, they don't have paid time off. I'm not sure I like the idea of using an insulin that doesn't have a lot of flexibility in dosing. Smoky may have a better chance for being regulated on Lantus. I have a lot to consider with all of that.

83. Lisa and Smoky

I like the flexibility of the prozinc the most. Smoky was 199 for PMPS. He was 193 last Monday in am and gave him 1.5 units which he did OK on. I gave him 1.5 units tonight as well. My u100 syringes with half unit markings came in mail today. I just have to figure out to read the markings on them first before using. I put them in a separate place from where I keep the u40 syringes to avoid a possible mix up with dosing. I have the conversion chart already printed out should I need to use the u100 for smaller doses.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  84. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky at 270 for AMPS, figured out how to read markings on u100 syringe. I used conversion chart to figure out dose. Either 1.6U or 1.8U? I'm leaning towards 1.6U since I don't know how low he is going on the 1.5U dose during the day.

85. Kris & Teasel

Try 1.6 u to see how he gets on. You're off today, right? I'm so glad you have those U100 syringes. You'll get used to them quickly and be amazed at all the extra fractional dosing options they give you. :)

Is he still on cerenia, etc.?

86. Lisa and Smoky

I gave him the 1.6U but a air bubble got in there so might end up being 1.5U dose.:confused:
    He is still on the cerenia and thought I wld give him the bupe twice today and see how he does on that. He is still hiding by the heater right after eating and stays there most of the day.

87. Kris & Teasel

I get the odd small air bubble in a dose periodically but I don't worry about it. No syringe is perfect, no dose measurement is perfect and no human eye is perfect. We do what we can do as carefully as we can.

Smoky probably likes to be near the heater because he lacks "insulation". Is he eating well?

88. Lisa and Smoky

He is eating pretty well but less than he was at first. He was eating 5 or 6 cans of FF per day but still has not gained much weight. I don't get it since he is still eating about 4 cans per day plus meat snacks.

89. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky has had pretty good BG numbers lately so don't know why he is not gaining much weight. I need to find a higher calorie food for him as the FF classics have under 100 calories per can. He lost all that weight back in August of last year and has only gained a little over a pound since then. The vet just tells me he will gain the weight back when he is regulated. I think you said you were still trying to get Teasel regulated since last January?How are you and Teasel doing these days? I get the sense that you know how I am feeling right now with Smoky.:bighug:

I don't mean to complain so much since he has been having good BG's as of lately.
    I need to test him again for ketones today since his appetite dropped over the last week. My mom said the same thing about him wanting to be by the heater because he has no " padding" to keep him warm.:D I gave him the bupe this morning but may hold off giving it to him tonight. Plus I want to get in a few extra tests today to see how he is doing during the day.:cat:

90. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

This is the place to complain! Sometimes we all have to do it...and it just shows how much you love your boy. :bighug:

My cats love being near the space heater when it's on...they fight over who gets to sleep in front of it. Smoky probably does just feel a bit colder without padding...and he might just also really like being super warm. I've had to drag my kitties away from the heater when their fur was so hot it burned my fingers to touch them!

91. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky dropped from 270 AMPS to 90 at +4 hours. He had 1.6 U this morning. Is that too fast of a drop and can I expect him to drop more? :nailbiting: He usually hits his nadir around +6 or +7 hours after his shot. I gave him some lunch but he only ate a little bit of it. He did eat 2 cans of FF for breakfast.

92. Kris & Teasel

I'd give him a higher carb snack if you have something with gravy. That's a big drop and he has a way to go to get to nadir. There'll likely be some bouncing later.

93. Kris & Teasel

Teasel was diagnosed at the end of January 2016 and was on Lantus for the first 2 months. It didn't go well. He had HUGE bounces (360 to 54 in a few hours then back up to near 400) then got stuck in high numbers and wouldn't budge. The vet wanted to take him off insulin for 48 hours and then restart him but after 24 hours without he went into DKA. He spent 3 days in the clinic's ICU but made it through this very $$$$ episode. He was changed to ProZinc after that. Of course I wasn't doing the FDMB thing then so I have no idea if I could've made the Lantus work. I did leave me reluctant to go the Lantus route again. My gut tells me he'd be a bouncer on Lantus and dosing in tiny fractions is a lot harder with it being a U100 insulin. Still leaving the Lantus idea on my back burner.

I've been giving Teasel ProZinc since the beginning of April last year but only came here to FDMB in mid-August. He still bounces, is still unregulated, but has better numbers over all. I have a MUCH better understanding of what's going on with him. He might never be properly regulated - he's that kind of cat. Remission isn't even on my radar. My goal is to keep doing what I'm doing to get his numbers into yellows, blues and maybe good greens as much as possible. I certainly haven't given up on him, I'm just being realistic. I find it much easier to go forward calmly day by day in this sugar dance if I don't set high expectations. :)

94. Lisa and Smoky

I gave smoky his lunch and a meat snack. He was eating his low carbs food about 30 minutes ago. Shld I test him again anyway? I do have FF gravy lovers food on hand, shld I test first or just give him some of the gravy now? His last test was 1 hour and 45 minutes ago.

95. Kris & Teasel

I'd say test him now to see if the food you gave him is having a positive effect on BG. If it is, no need for the gravy right now.

96. Lisa and Smoky

OK, I hate to wake him up for that but better safe than sorry. I'll post the test result soon.

97. Lisa and Smoky

83 at +6 hours. Shld I give gravy food?
    I will give him a little of the HC food.
    When shld I check him again?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Reason for edit: Add on to post
  98. Kris & Teasel

Hard to say. That's actually a nice green but you don't know if his nadir has been reached or not. I think you should give him a teaspoon or so of gravy from the gravy food. It won't fill him up much if his appetite isn't what it should be. His regular food might fill him up and then he won't want to eat more if you have to continue steering. Retest in 20 or 30 minutes.

99. Lisa and Smoky

I gave him about 2 teaspoons of the gravy and will check him again soon. He ate about a teaspoon and a half of the gravy. He also ate a half ounce of his regular food an hour ago.

100. Kris & Teasel

"I just updated my SS from earlier. Smoky was 108 at +7 which was one hour after I gave him some HC gravy food."

Just saw this on the other thread. I think he'll be OK. Maybe check in an hour or two?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.