Switching from Vetsulin

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Catherine Sloan, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catherine Sloan

Catherine Sloan New Member

Hi, Ya'll have formerly known me here ast Cat & Mr. Tom. Mr. Tom has been using 1 unit Vetsulin twice a day now for over a year and a half with well controlled diabetes. He will not let me test him so we do frutosamine test regularly. The vet informed me that she wants to take him off Vetsulin and onto a human insulin. Do ya'll have any recommendations before I take him when his other runs out? Thank you.

Cat

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,

Lantus and Levemir are long acting insulins, with great results.
    Hometesting would be prferable with any insulin because you can ensure kitty gets the right dose and always stays out of trouble (hypo)

Apart from fructosamine tests-which only give ypu the average glucose concentration over the previous 1-3 weeks (so could be 300 at one point in the day and 35 the next and then you get an average number like 200 and think he's o.k).It's just not very accurate.
    You coud have a look in the altrnative monitoring group.They use diastix strips etc to give them a better idea on glucose levels.

If you want to consider hometesting just ask-it really is very simple and I would definitely say it brought me a lot closer to my cat.

The other insulin that is starting to be prescribed more frequently is Prozinc-this has only been out on the market about 6 months I believe spo unable to comment on how good cats are fairing with it.You could post the same question on health (if you haven't already)

Good luck :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.