Switching to lantus - # of test strips?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CassWTribby, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Hi all,
    Switched to lantus on Monday and it's been bit of a tough switch so I've gone through a bunch more tests strips then I budgeted for. Test strips are $80 for 100 here in . I can get them from eBay for less but I'm not sure if I have to test so much all the time I can afford it. Ugh!!

Lantus users how many test strips do you use per day?

Other insulin users how many do you use?

She's had a few days of high highs but today has an almost normal level. I'm really worried about hypos so I test after a lot.

Is there good news once she's regulated? I also work 10-12 hour shifts but sneak home midday and BGT.
    I'm hoping I can make lantus to work because caninsulin was brutal to regulate.
    Thanks in advance
    Cass and Tribby

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The essential tests are AM and PM before feeding and giving insulin. If you're away at work, aim for one test before bed time. Do a few extras in the +4 to +7 part of the cycle on a day off. Over time you'll learn more about her insulin responses so you can be more strategic in your testing - ie., when you increase the dose, when she's showing signs that you know from past data can signify a drop to come. So - the minimum would be 3 tests a day I think.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Sounds like you’re in Canada. Me too. And you’d think the strips were gold the price they are. I test 3 x per day and 6 strips on Saturdays. Maybe 4 or 5 on Sundays. I’d say 25 per week. I can’t afford them either and I try to bid on eBay but I’ve never been lucky. If you can get 100 on hand then order from eBay via direct buy (https://m.ebay.ca/itm/Accu-Chek-Aviva-Test-Strip-50-Long-Free-Shipping-/162673443213) they are just $25 Canadian for 50 so more manageable. It does take about a month to ship to Canada but it’s the only way I can afford to test as much as we should. Hope that helps.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

Check adw for feline diabetes supplies. Last I looked it was 36us for 100. I'll have too check for exact website or you can google. Lemme know.

5. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I'm in New Zealand. They are diamond encrusted here too. Paying around the same and have to get them couriered down from the North Island. Have tried overseas supplies but so many will not ship to NZ.

Testing around 4 times a day or more right now depending on what is happening.

You have my sympathy which is as much help as a clonk on the nose. It's a heck of an ongoing cost.

Juliet likes this.
  6. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

7. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Thanks! I just ordered 1oo from eBay for $54 including shipping. They come from the US so take 10-14 days to arrive. That's the only issue..
    I know it's so $$$$. Our insulin costs less but our test strips are ridiculously expensive.

Juliet likes this.
  8. Juliet

Juliet Guest

That’s a good deal. Glad you got them. 14 days better than a month that’s for sure. Just watch you’re not going to be charged custom fees.

9. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Custom charges are incl $7 on the bill but still way less then here.

Juliet likes this.
  10. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Ebay. Ca I used the buy now option. Goid deal!

11. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Can you post the link if the offer is still there? Thanks!

12. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

13. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.