Switching to ProZinc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Astexcat, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

Hi all,

I'm about to switch to ProZinc. Right now I'm using vetsulin at a dos of 3.5U. I did a curve today and based on that and previous results, it seems the lowest we've gotten is in the high 300s for values.

Vet wants to start at 2U of the prozinc, and I know it's usually recommended to start at 1U on the boards.

If I start at 1U, how many shots (cycles?) before I start upping it. I've read so much on the various insulin's lately my brain is mush as to which ones are 7 days minimum, which are 3 shot cycles etc....

Help!

Also, I'm guessing switching when I'm home to monitor is a better idea or would 1U most likely be ok considering her current dose on vetsulin?

Thanks,
    Bridget

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Bridget!

While it's true that we usually start cats off at 1U, that only applies to cats that haven't been on insulin before. When switching from one to another, we take the current dose into account.

With Smudge still running so high, I'd definitely not advise you to start over at 1U now.

I'd start at 3U (since he's already up to 3.5 of Vetsulin and still running mostly in black and red) and continue to test frequently in case he has a marked reaction to the ProZinc.

3. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

Thank you! I knew I had read a bit too much and was confused.