Switching Vetsulin to Lantus timing, etc.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bryan & Princess, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

Hey everyone,

1) Do I start Princess at .5 unit of Lantus?
    2) When do I start, tonight at her 11pm shot where I can not monitor her overnight, 10:25 am tomorrow when I have to leave right after and won't be home until 1-2pm, or Saturday when I can do a curve. NOTE: I am 99% sure her Vetsulin is BAD since I left bottle out on day 1, been shooting extra back into vial, and her numbers are sucking lately.
    3) so do I fill the pen with 1u, then draw out of it 1u, and dump the .5 unit out of the syringe - how exactly to I do I fill the syringe from the PENS ????

DETAILS

Tonight I scored locally (5) Lantus Solostar Pens with a 8/2020 expiration for $50 all (including 100 needles)

I picked up a box of 100 Relion U100 Syringes and then realized there is no marking under 1u 10 feet after paying - NO RETURN - $13 probably wasted unless I end up doing 1 units. I bought a package of 10 U100 from CVS that shows 1/2u markings to get started. Need to figure out what best syringes to order !!!!!!!!

I gave up on my Vet responding and giving me a prescription changing me for Vetsulin to Lantus, got tired of the "Well we should do another set of labs" - did one 30 days ago, "Well I should see her again and we should do a curve here" - I been doing my own testing and gave her access to the spreadsheet - then it was "Have you thought about ProZinc" which I know allows her to sell to me competitively, I get business is business, heck I offered to pay her for her time reading and responding to emails !!!!!

Thanks, Bryan

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

What size are they?

I think you could probably start at 1U but if you're more comfortable at .5, that's OK but you will need to decide which dosing method you want to use as soon as possible. Tight Regulation offers the best chance at remission as well as letting you change the dose as often as every 3 days if it's not getting her where you want her. Reductions are given when she drops below 50. Start Low Go Slow has you hold the dose for 7 days and if she drops below 90, you reduce

It usually takes 5-7 days to "fill the depot" before you see the full effect of the dose, but occasionally we see a cat that responds early. I'd probably plan on shooting in the morning...If you shoot at 10:30 and are home between 1-2, that's only +2.5 to +3.5

You just pull the cap off the pen, stick the syringe into the rubber stopper and pull out a little more than you want (so like pull 1U and then "waste" .5 into a paper towel or the sink or wherever....just don't push it back into the pen)

3. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

Chris,

I got her first shot in, I started at .5 (1/2u), I also found the needle was short for my liking on the bag of 10 from CVS compared to the U40 needle length I was using (see below), The box of (100) u100 Relion are 31gauge 8mm short needle and only have 1u markings. - I will keep them if I get to that point, and if not donate them to the local shelter (with the remain U40 and the Pen Needles for the Lantus Solostar pens I got)

YA, no more pusing insulin back from the syringe into the pens/vials - got that down finally LOL

So I need to figure out what U100 brand of syringes to order, I want 1/2" needle length, and at least 1/2 unit markings, something really skinning to make those marks further apart would help, also ones that are accurate, remember some people complaining some were inaccurate. I have 9 more CVS needs, and can go get more if needed until I can order a box full, also will check with my vet tomorrow, who will probably ream me out for by passing her to get Lantus and not waiting for her respond to my last email - Oh Well !!!!

Thanks Chris for all you help here in PM's about Basaglar and Lantus, etc.

[​IMG]

4. Chris & China (GA)

But are they 3/10ml? relion insulin syringes.PNG

5. Chris & China (GA)

You're probably not going to find the longer needle length like you were using on the U40's

You're lucky you found 8mm!....the only ones I've been able to get lately at my WalMart are only 6mm....and the special "pen needles" that humans use with the pens are only 4mm

Insulin needs to get just barely under the skin....the shorter needles are probably easier (once you get used to them) because there's very little chance of them going deep enough to hit muscle or a vein .

Sometimes when you first start, it's a good idea to shave a small patch until you develop a "feel" for it. It doesn't take long for you to learn what it feels like when the needle pierces the skin.

All these syringes have half unit markings (very important when you're doing microdosing) and are the correct syringes for U100 insulin and are available from ADW online:
    UtiCare
    Monoject
    Carepoint
    Sure Comfort
    B/D

They're also available at WalMart if you have one near you. Their Relion brand 3/10ml, 30 or 31 gauge, 6mm or 8mm insulin syringes all come with half unit markings and are only $12.58 for a box of 100 (although a lot of them don't realize they DO come with half unit markings!)

6. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

Chris,

I got these and they suck, every mark is 2u

IMG_0604.JPG

7. Chris & China (GA)

Those are the wrong size, that's why.

Those are 1ml and will hold up to 100 units of insulin......the ones that have the half unit marks are the 3/10ml and only hold up to 30 units.

I'm sorry they won't let you return them

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.