Sydney Diagnosed on 5/5, but not normal symptoms..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Katrina, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katrina

Katrina New Member

Hi All - I have a 12 -13 year old cat named Sydney. She is strictly indoors and weighs about 13lbs. I noticed she started vomiting more often, peeing outside her litter box, drinking lots of H20, and lethargic so I took her to the vet on May 5th. My vet said she was diabetic b/c her blood sugar was at 440/120, but had not gone into ketosis. She wanted to start her on Lantus insulin (1.5 units, twice a day). I gave her 1st shot the night of 4/11. This is where things get weird....

She threw up foam & clear liquid within 5 mins of the injection. I stayed up with her until 5 AM, I couldn't get her to eat, she had grown very weak, dazed & confused & threw up about 3 more times. I figured she was hypoglycemic so I tried giving her 1 tsp of Karo which made her thirsty. Took her to the vet the next morning. They kept her all day. They gave her a cerenia (anti-nauseous) and famotidine (peptid) shots. They took her glucose reading 4 times throughout the day (10a - 5p) and they read in the following order (220, 211, 98, 108). She had stopped throwing up, but they couldn't get her to eat. They were confused as to how her glucose was staying in the average range. So they sent her home hoping that being home will promote eating.

She threw up in the car on the way home (I'm thinking due to car motion). I let her out the carrier and she wobbly walked upstairs & wanted to stay under the bed all night. Now its Saturday. Still can't get her to eat or drink, but she at least she is showing an interest. She sticks head in bowls but it's like she forgets how to eat & just won't open her mouth. (I have tried tuna, baby food, 2 types of wet, 3 types of dry). Called the vet & they are confused. They gave me an appetite stimulant pill and want me to give her 1/8 of the pill. Tried giving it to her, but she just kept spitting/drooling it out. My cat is the worst with pills.

I am at a loss. I don't know what to do. I'm not even sure she has diabetes at this point. Her blood sugar is now normal. She is walking normal, no longer vomiting, but she won't eat or drink. It's going on two days. I don't want her to go into heptic shock. I also don't know if she got enough of the appetite stimulant. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions!

Attached Files:

2. Katrina

Katrina New Member

Sorry - I just noticed I posted this in the wrong thread. I cannot figure out how to delete this post, but I'll go post this in the health advice thread per the thread rules.

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Katrina and Sydney!
    Sorry to hear your fur baby is not feeling well. Technically it's your first post / introduction, you can just copy and paste the scenario on Main for more eyes :)

Quick comment on her BG readings at the Vet. Taking stress into consideration those may have been normal BG ranges. 68 - 120 on AlphaTrak 2 pet meter. For your first shot did you mean 11 May? Not 11 April, right? That would be a month before "diagnosis". I'm wondering if she had a bout of pancreatitis, did the Vet check for ketones to know she wasn't going into Ketoacidosis? The not eating sounds a lot like nausea, you can try FortiFlora instead of the appetite stimulant pill since she is difficult to pill. You just sprinkle a little over her food. Many members say their cat would eat anything with FortiFlora sprinkled on it. Is she still on acid reflux meds or just a one time shot? Lastly, are you home testing to know her BG is back to normal range or just basing off last numbers at the Vet?

Sorry for all the questions, you will probably get more once you post this on the Main Health Forum :bighug:. I'll continue the conversation there :)

4. Katrina

Katrina New Member

Hi Yong - Thank you for your reply. Yes I did post this in the main thread after i realized this wasn't the forum for it. I did mean May 11 (not April). The vet ran two test to test for ketones (even sent one off to a lab) and they both came back OK (no ketones). I will go to Petsmart now and buy some FortiFlora and try this! The acid reflux was just a one-time shot the vet gave her. I am not home testing because her last two readings have been normal. This was yesterday at the vet so I am going off her last numbers. In addition, if her sugar was low wouldn't she have an appetite? So I don't think its low. The vet mentioned I should just focus on getting her to eat right now.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Could be pancratitis... Was she tested for that?

Please start springing in water and watered down cat food.... She shouldn't go so long without eating or she will develope fatty liver.

6. Katrina

Katrina New Member

I was wondering pancreatitis as well. The doctor didn't test for this. She brought it up but she stated that with the diabetes and her current symptoms it didn't make sense which is why she didn't test.

I am going to trying the FortiFlora on top of food now and then I am going to force feed her liquids with an eye dropper or small syringe. I was thinking of using some Pedialyte.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.