Sylvester's Diabetes (Newbie) Help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dezi & Sylvester, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dezi & Sylvester

Dezi & Sylvester New Member

Hi Everyone. Vester was diagnosed on April 17th with a blood sugar reading of 595. The vet started him on Prozinc 2 units every 12 hours. We went back to vet on the 20th and it was 498 and she upped it to 3 units. Went back on the 24th and the reading was 517 when he was upped to 4 units. On the 28th his reading was 500 and she upped him to 5 units. May 5th his reading was 250 and she upped his dosage to 5.5 units.
    He had an appointment today the 8th and his sugar is at 77. She wants us to continue giving him the 5.5 units 2 times a day and she wants to see him on Friday.
    That doesn't sound right to me. I am afraid he will go too low with giving him that much.
    I am overwhelmed with all of this please help!

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Dezi and Sylvester!
    Are you home testing? Unfortunately, we see a lot of those big dose increases by Vet's whereas here we prefer to do increases by 0.25U or 0.5U. What is his diet? Brands, flavours. We could definitely help YOU manage Sylvester's diabetes at home. Always beneficial if you have a caring Vet on board but not all of us are that fortunate. I am an fellow Prozinc user and manage my boy with the veteran members of the forum. My initial response is to agree not to give 5.5U twice a day if he went to 77. Those were quite large increases in less than a months time :bighug:

If you could setup your Signature with some information, it's super helpful for those of us with bad memories and save you from answering the same starter questions if you post ;): http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

This is the spreadsheet template we use, just need a gmail account. If you need help setting it up, just ask: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

And I like to give this to new members, better to be prepared: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

This is a support group for Sylvester and YOU! :bighug:

3. Dezi & Sylvester

Thanks for your quick response Yong! Since his initial diagnosis and reading this forum, I have started him on wet food Friskies pate twice a day with Evo dry for grazing. He was strictly a dry food grazer before his diagnosis.
    He is not a snuggly cat by any means and I have to give him his shots while he is eating. I just am a little leery about giving him such high doses every 12 hours now until Friday. I bought a ReliOn meter at Walmart, but I only used it to compare with my vets meter and of course mine was lower. I don't understand all the lingo that I am seeing on here. All this is very overwhelming to say the least.

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Correct, human glucometers read lower than pet meter's that Vet's us, probably Alpha Trak 2

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That's a shockingly high dose for a newly diagnosed kitty! My guess is that the measurements made by the vet were high because your kitty was stressed. The vet then gave a high starting dose. Too high a dose can cause the BG to soar because of protective physiologic processes. Rinse and repeat ...

6. Dezi & Sylvester

He didn't start out taking that large amount, it has just been since Friday although the vet has been increasing it every week since his diagnosis. With his BG down to 77 today +6 I am afraid to keep giving him that high of a dose but that is what the vet is telling us. She wants us to keep him on the 5.5 until she sees him again on Friday.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Usually cats are started on 1 unit and raised by no more than 0.5 units at a time.... Raising by whole units that quickly is not a good idea. WeRe these single readings she was taking to determine doses or 12 hour curves? A single reading isn't giving the info needed to make dosage changes. Most cats never need more than 3 units.... 5.5 is a REALLY high (dangerous if not frequently monitored) dose.

8. Dezi & Sylvester

I just had an experience that I don't know what to do about. Vester was eating his food and almost finished when I gave him his dose of insulin.
    shortly after he got finished eating he threw it all up. Will him getting the shot and not having food in him now hurt him? What shall I do?

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Wait a little while and offer him some more.

10. Dezi & Sylvester

Ok thanks. I will give it a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.