syringe conversion

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hillary & Maui (GA), Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I know I've seen it a gazillion times and it was provided in one of my condos - but would someone please provide the conversion rate from U40 to U100 so that I know how to convert for example a .6 or .8.

Thanks!

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

The conversion factor is 2.5 to use U40 insulin (dilute for pets) in U100 (human) syringes

U40 dose x 2.5 = U100 syringe marks

0.2u x 2.5 = 0.5 mark
    0.4u x 2.5 = 1 mark
    0.6u x 2.5 = 1.5 mark
    0.8u x 2.5 = 2.0 marks
    1 unit x 2.5 = 2.5 marks
    2 unit x 2.5 = 5 marks

NOTE FOR NEWBIES -- you CANNOT use U40 (pet) syringes for human U100 insulin.

3. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

(I usually just count the marks, easier for smaller doses, when a U100 syringe has 1/2 unit short dashes and full unit long dashes, each short dash on the U100 syringe is .2u of U40 insulin and each long dash is .4u of U40 insulin.)

4. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I just have a small sheet of paper stuck on my fridge with the range of doses I will be working with copied off of that conversion chart. Gives you less numbers to look at to re-assure yourself at dosing time that you are pulling up to the right mark.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Thanks everyone. I just convinced his vet to write the script. Here is how the conversation went:

Vet: I cannot prescribe syringes for the wrong insulin
    ME: I understand the conversion and it's not a wrong syringe

VET: Why do you want the syringes
    ME: Because I am microdosing and need to be as accurate as possible.

VET: He is on one unit and that's fine.
    ME: No he isn't, one unit is too much for this cat

VET: What, are you testing him?
    ME: Yes, of course I'm testing him, how else would I know that 1 unit is too much

VET: Where are you testing him - his ear?
    ME: Yes, I'm testing his ear, he has one ear that loves to bleed, I can look it at and it bleeds

(Note - this vet tested his jugular in his neck!)

VET: Well what are his BG's
    ME: Gave the weekend information

Vet: I can't call in a script, you need to pick it up.
    ME: Sorry, I don't live near you and my vet calls in a script all the time without issue.

VET: Fine, I will need you to sign a release and when I get that I will call in the script.
    ME: Here is the fax number, thank you.

Sheesh! So now I'm waiting for the release!

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Can you just buy the insulin syringes online so you don't have to deal with the vet and a prescription?

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

I could but would take too long to arrive, I only have Blue for 2 weeks.

No worries, I picked up the syringes. Relion changed their boxes and packaging and no longer list 1/2 unit markings on the box.

8. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i do what donna does.
    i find it a lot easier to count each hatchmark on a U100 syringe with half-unit markings as 0.2u of U40 insulin.

i couldn't find relions with half-unit markings anywhere near my house (within 2 hrs) so i just get the GNPs via hocks. glad you could find half unit markings.

LOL re your conversation with the vet. mine had a royal cow when i told her i was using U100 syringes when i used PZI but eventually she just shut up about it. :) i loved microdosing with PZI and the U100 syringes -- found it a lot easier than using U100 syringes with U100 insulin! :)

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

I printed Phoebe's conversion chart, that makes it very simple to figure out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.