Syringe question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

anyone feel there is a negative to using a 5/16 length needle over 1/2 inch ? I am unhappy with the monoject U100 so was going to back to carepoint which is what my U 40s are but they seem to only come in 5/16. Also the gauge is different it’s 31 VS 29. Any difference in they way this would be absorbed per say? We had a weird day today numbers wise. It’s the first day I shot with a U40 in a while but a FAT 2 is a fat 2 either way. I went back to U 40 as I am going away next week and don’t want to confuse the pet sitter as I am going to lower the dose to 2U or skinny 2 while I’m gone since there wont be testing. I’ll take advice on that dosing as well. Lol. Love you guys!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It's your personal preference, really. My opinion is that it's best to stick to either U40s or U100s as much as possible. There can be very slight differences in dose arising from how you estimate an "in between" dose on one type versus the other. It's all about measurement error (says the science nerd!). Also - it's best I think to stick to a dose that allows the pet sitter to use the lines on the syringe rather than have him/her estimate a skinny dose. I find skinnies are trickier to estimate than fats myself.

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

A fat 2 on a u40 is likely a little different than a fat 2 on a u100 since the diameter of the barrel is different, so I agree with Kris that sticking to one type of syringe will let you be the most consistent.

We usually pick vacation doses the day before you leave in case something weird happens between now and then. If you were leaving today, I would think a 2u dose would be okay. Just make sure you show the sitter very very clearly what the syringe looks like at 2u so s/he knows if you put the syringe above the line, below the line, or straddling the line - otherwise Little could end up getting a different dose than you intended. It can also be helpful to pull some colored water/juice/etc. into a syringe and leave it for the sitter so there is something to compare to and they can make sure it's correct.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Lisa and little

Thanks girls. Funny you say the barrel is wider as I had so many questions when I switched and that was what I was seeing. So the 2U on U40 is slightly different than 5U on U100? Kinda what I thought from the get. I am hating the U100s I have and we had a bad day last time I had pet sitter so that’s why I switched back to U40 so I can say straight up 2U ( as of now) for pet sitter. Any thoughts on the 31 gauge 5/16 length needle syringe VS the 29 gauge 1/2 inch? I need to order soon and it seems the brand I happen to like doesn’t make the 29g half unit syringes with 1/2 in needle. Is a shorter needle harder to work with? And the narrower gauge?

5. Djamila

I wouldn't worry too much about the gauge or needle length - that's really personal preference, and what works for you and Little.

6. Lisa and little

So no need to worry that a shorter needle won’t go in as deep and have diff absorption rate?

7. Djamila

Not as long as you make sure you get through the fur and skin. It shouldn't be a problem.

8. Lisa and little

Lol. That sounds so horrible when written yet so not s big deal. :cat:

Djamila likes this.
  9. Djamila

Yes, it's about as good as when I tell people I have to get home to shoot my cat. :p

10. Lisa and little

I say that almost daily. The reactions are priceless !