Syringes-Brand, Inch & Gauge?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tomlin, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I'm about to switch to Lantus & since it requires U-100 syringes, I figured I would try to find out preferences for inch & gauge. Currently using Monoject 1/2" needle/29 Gauge (was using with Vetsulin so have to discontinue since U-40).

I see there is a BD Ultra Fine 3/10cc 6mm 31 gauge with 1/2 units on one site.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I think that it's going to be a personal preference regarding the brand you use, but it's important to be sure you get syringes with those half unit markings. The needle gauge is important to some kitties, the higher the number, the thinner the needle part and that may ease the acceptance of the injection. If he didn't object to the 29 gauge, you could try the ReliOn brand (from Walmart) of U-100 syringes. We bought those and they are 29 gauge, and were not expensive for the box of 100.

3. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Thank you for your thoughts & experience! He is not a fan of the 29G which made me think as I was looking into the new syringes that I would try to find something more comfortable for him. I start the Lantus tomorrow morning & will get to try the new syringes. I ordered the ones with half unit markings & they will arrive tomorrow, but I purchased a pack of the ones with just 1 unit markings to get me by tomorrow morning for his first dose. I ended up getting the BD w/Ultra Fine Needle 31G with shorter needle (he's good about sitting nice & still, so I don't have to worry about it going in). Hoping its less painful for him! It's all trial and error at this point!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I used both Monoject and BD both 31 gauge. Many people use Relion (Walmart) syringes. I would typically order from ADW -- they have a good selection. The brand I liked the best is no longer available.

Margie and Jackson likes this.
  5. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Awesome! Don't you hate when they discontinue what you love? I know I used Walgreens or someones brand on me for an injectable med I had to take once thinking, a syringe is a syringe, & let me tell you DULL=PAIN....ouch! I can't get it out of my head!

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Termumo insulin syringes were very popular here. They still make "harpoons" for giving sub-q fluids, though.

7. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the Monoject 31G x 5/16".

Margie and Jackson likes this.
  8. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product...100-syringes-30g-3-10cc-5-16in-100ct-1-2-unit
    I think Sienne left this link for me when I was having trouble giving shots. Using these has made it SO much easier. I was using pet syringes and boy is there a world of difference. Thanks so much for the recommendation Sienne!

9. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Thank you! I had to make the purchase yesterday so I could start the Lantus this morning. I ended up with the BD Ultra-Fine needle 31G, 8MM. Such a big difference except now between the tiny needle & the tiny dose of Lantus after using the 2.5U of Vetsulin with a 29G, 16MM needle, its feels strange when I inject--so smooth! I love all the recommendations because I have options if for some reason I or my hubby end up not liking the ones we purchased.