Syringes, info needed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by seamist, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seamist

seamist Member

I am trying to find insulin syringes that at 31 gauge, short needle, with half unit markings. If you have these, could you please tell me what brand they are, where you bought them, and how much they cost?

I have a hard time when I call pharmacies. The people are not very knowledgeable. I ended up paying too much, and the syringes I got did not have half unit markings. The pharmacist told me they didn't have any, but I am sure they are mistaken. :YMSIGH:

Seamist,
    Sasha's Mom

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

4. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

I tried th GNP and also didn't like them I just ordered the BD with 1/2 u. markings, from Hocks.
    Much cheaper than buying in my local drugstore. One local pharm, told me they don't make one with half u marking. I don't know how they can be so misinformed.

5. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

I get mine from WalMart. They're roughly $12-13 per 100. My local store doesn't always have them in stock, so I call the pharmacy beforehand and say that I'm looking for 31 gauge, point-three cc shorts, and ask if they have any in stock. If they do, I ask them to hold them for me; if they don't, I ask them to order them for me. Most times, they've had the syringes in the following afternoon.

They're ReliOn syringes, Walmart's house brand. I will say that I'm less happy with the new supplier of the syringes; they seem to be less sharp than they used to be -- it's a bit harder to pierce skin than it used to be.

6. seamist

seamist Member

Thank you. That helps. I was at Walmart, and asked for the Relion syringes with the half unit markings, and they said they don't exist. Of course, they were wrong. I called Relion, and they gave me the product number 311786 , so hopefully I can get them at Walmart.

If I buy something from Hocks, do they charge for shipping? Do I have to have the vet call them with a prescription? (I am in Minnesota)

Seamist
    Sasha's mom

7. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

BD UltraFine II ones: http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 10291.html $27.79/box of 100

Here is a thread with suggested brands of half unit marked insulin syringse and where to buy: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 22,1959486

Yes, Hocks.com does charge for shipping. There are a few different shipping options. I think Priority Mail is around $5 or so.

No, you do not need a prescription to buy insulin syringes from Hocks.com

AmericanDiabetesWholeSale.com is another place to buy insulin syringes from. No prescription is needed.

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If you buy over a certain amount Hock's has free shipping.

9. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

Yes, buy some BG test strips at the same time, maybe some lancets, whatever else you need, and it's easy to get enough for free shipping from Hocks. And you don't have to order strips again next week!

10. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Sams Club also has the Relion Syringes ...I'd bought both the 30 & 31 gauge short needle w/ half unit markings there. AND you do NOT have to be a member to use their pharmacy. (i am not) They are roughly the same price as at Walmart, i think, so whichever is most convenient.
    I did have a prescription since I'd asked for one at time of Insulin RX,..and you may want to check to see if in fact they require it there...mainly since they only sell certain things to non-members..so may require it to be RX to 'use' their pharmacy.

Probably a good idea to call ahead to be sure they have exactly what you want in stock. I paid less than $13 per box of 100.

betty

11. K.  Sya and Sophie (GA)

K. Sya and Sophie (GA) Member

Oooh...I just ordered GNP syringes. Are they really that bad? I'm new to this and coming to the end of the box that the vet sold me (for what is an astounding amount of money I have come to find out based on the prices I found online). Would really like to know whether I should order something different or not. (We're still on 1 unit bid. at the moment, so if I can see the one unit ok we're good) confused_cat

12. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

You can use the GNP. Just look very closely at the zero line -- sometimes there is a little variation, so if your dose is really low, be very careful.

My two main complaints about the GNP --
    1. I found the plunger very stiff and hard to move -- so you end up pulling out too much insulin. And with most insulins, you should not shoot it back into the vial/cartridge.
    2. The individual wrappers were harder for me to tear open.

(when I used them, my acromegaly cat Norton had a very high dose, so the variation of the zero line didn't bother me too much)

With Monoject, the plunger is smoother -- I can pull up Tiggy's tiny 0.5u dose easily.

ALSO -- you can get FREE SHIPPING from www.hocks.com if your order is over $79.

To get my order up there, I order syringes, lancets and test strips (for MAXIMA AST meter) and buy a couple months worth at a time.

13. K.  Sya and Sophie (GA)

K. Sya and Sophie (GA) Member

Thanks. Sounds like I'll be OK to use what I bought but I'll know better next time

14. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I think that the last few times I bought them, I just asked for the 31 ga. syringes and they had the 1/2 unit markings. However, I don't think the boxes are labeled that way any more.

15. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

If you link to hocks.com through the green box at the top of the page, FDMB gets 8% commission. There also are hocks coupon codes on this page.

16. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

> If you link to hocks.com through the green box at the top
    > of the page, FDMB gets 8% commission.

Just to note, that using the link doesn't increase your costs at all; it's just a commission from Hocks to FDMB for the referral.

17. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Hocks. com shipping info:

Ground orders receive FREE SHIPPNG when your order is $79.00 or more.
    Postal Priority Mail orders receive FREE SHIPPING for orders over $59.00
    but weigh less than 5 pounds.

Current 5% off coupon code is 5DAYS. Expires Apr. 21, 2010. Limit 1 per person and cannot be used with any other discount offers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.