Syringes- Questions!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda

Amanda Member

Hey guys,

I meet with the Vet later this week to discuss how things are going and to get a script for lantus. We've actually been getting good numbers on the Vetsulin as a whole- especially in the last few days. I am considering keeping her on the Vetsulin a bit longer to see how it goes, so I need to order some syringes. I am a bit confused though as none of the options seem to list whether they are half unit markings or not. Kazi is only currently on .10 or so- just a tiny bit so I really need the 1/2 unit markings to help keep me more accurate. Any suggestions of syringes?

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Lantus is a U100 insulin and you must use U100 insulin syringes.

The best U100 insulin syringes to use are 3/10cc (30 unit) with half unit markings. This is what the half unit markings look like compared to whole unit markings:
    [​IMG]

The insulin syringe box and packaging will clearly say either "half unit markings" or "1/2 unit markings". If unsure, look at the markings on the syringe barrel. It should look like the scale on the left of the picture above. If still unsure, ask the pharmacist but be aware that some pharmacist have no clue what half unit markings are.

For suggested brands of half unit marked U100 insulin syringes, see these threads:
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12053
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 22,1959486

Many people buy their insulin syringes from Hocks.com or other online pharmacy. That may be an option for you if you live in the US. No prescription is required to buy insulin syringes online.

3. Amanda

Amanda Member

I need this info for later if/when I make the switch to lantus so thank you for that! But I am actually trying to find u-40 syringes with 1/2 unit markings at the moment.

I've not been at this very long, and for the first several weeks was dose hopping because of varying numbers. I settled in at a lower dose and her numbers stabilized...and now are dropping. I just had to drop her dose again this weekend actually because she was dipping too low- so I would like to see where this takes us in the next week or two and then decide whether to switch to the lantus.

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

There are no U40 insulin syringes with half unit markings.

What you can do is use half unit marked U100 insulin syringes *and* this conversion chart: http://felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm It is very important that you use the chart to ensure an accurate dose of U40 insulin. The chart explains why.

5. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

6. Amanda

Amanda Member

I've seen the micro dosing page- its a bit confusing once you get to these tiny doses isn't it! :? Thanks for the help guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.