Syringes - where, what kind?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Jane (GA), May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

I used BD with Jane before... anybody tried easytouch? Hocks and amazon have them.

I guess we need the .3cc - that's the smallest, right?

Anybody use Reli-On's syringes? What did you think of them?

2. Terri & Tananda

Terri & Tananda Member

My cat only recently went on insulin, since it is PZI, I have to use 40u syringes and Relion doesn't come in that size, but a friend of mine uses Relion for her cat swears by them they are cheaper than the brand names, and at least in Massachusetts you don't need a script for them.

Terri & Tananda

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Yes, most diabetic cats only need the 3/10 cc (30 unit) insulin syringes. It is preferred if you can get the ones that have half unit markings so you can more easily measure half unit and even quarter unit doses.

[​IMG]

All insulin syringes are the same but people do have their preferences. Many people here do use the ReliOn insulin syringes and like them. I've used them before and they worked really well and they cost much less than the BD ones.

U40 is for animals only. You won't find U40 insulin or insulin syringes in any Human pharmacy.

You *can* use U100 insulin syringes with U40 insuin, though. But you absolutely must use the conversion chart to ensure that your cat is getting the correct amount of insulin: http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm Make sure you fully understand how to use the chart and the difference between U40 and U100 before you start using U100 insulin syringes with U40 insulin.

In MA you do need a prescription to buy insulin syringes. I think for less than 10 insulin syringes you don't need a prescription but for a whole box you do. You can buy insulin syringes from Hocks.com without a prescription.

4. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I use the relion u100 3/10cc syringes with half unit markings with the conversion chart for ProZinc. It took some getting used to the shorter needle, but now it is no issue. I have found that I get no bubble problems at all if I push the plunger in and out a few times before drawing insulin, and then quickly draw the plunger down when I am pulling in insulin. Works every time! I plan on buying them again fwiw.

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.