? Syringes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi! I have been using ReliOn Insulin Syringes for 6 years and the last few boxes have been a mess. Meaning, I draw 1.5 units of insulin and end up with only like .5 or 1 unit - the rest is air. I am not new, I know to go slowly, etc. I have tried everything and am wasting a lot of insulin.

I am looking for suggestions of what other syrings people are using for their furbabies please.

Thanks!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Maybe take a look at what is offered by ADW and see if you can find a brand to test out.

3. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

I was having trouble with air bubbles in the UltiCare U-40 syringes. Just tried the Monoject U-100 syringes w/ half unit markings today and no air bubbles at all. The plunger is a little stiffer to move but it was very easy to line up to the mark I wanted. I got them from ADW.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I use the terumo syringes with half unit markings from ADW. My only problem with them is air bubbles. I used the Relions before this and you are right about them. They can vary by as much as .5 units. It took awhile to adjust the dose when I changed but these don't have the hub that screws up the dosing. The starting line is sometimes high or low. I use calipers so that part isn't an issue.

5. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

thank you all! I just placed an order at ADW for Monoject U-100 syringes - I wish I could just go there, they are about 15 minutes north of me. LOL
    I do appreciate feedback and hope this finds you & your furbabies well!! <3

6. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

I also had problems with air bubbles in the UltiCare syringes. I much prefer the Terumos, as I have better luck getting rid of bubbles if they occur. I used to purchase the Terumo syringes from our vet, then they decided to go with the UltiCares. When I expressed my concerns about the UltiCare syringes, the office manager pretty much told me it was an operator problem and the syringes were fine. She could have been right, but I went online and found the Terumo syringes, so now we're back to using them with no problems.

7. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Carole,
    Operator problem, my @$$!;) It varied a little from batch to batch, but I'd say 90% of the UltiCare syringes had bubbles I couldn't get rid of. So far the Monojects have been perfect.
    Nicole, I hope they work well for you too.
    Joan

8. Blamethecats and Hannah

Yep, that's sort of my thoughts on the topic, too! I have almost an entire box of UltiCares sitting in the corner and I have no plans to use them. I tried them for a week and that was enough of that.

9. Louellen

Louellen Member

That used to be my problem as well with a previous Sugar Kitty.
    I am using the SoloStar Lantus pen injector right now (using the needles that come with it, instead of syringes). Only problem is...it will only dial full units so, if I need to go to a half unit dose...I'm going to run into the same issue with syringes.
    I always felt with my previous kitty that he wasn't getting the full dosage either because of the bubbles and wasting insulin, trying to get rid of them. So frustrating to say the least.
    Good topic! Thank you. :)

10. Frito's Mom

Frito's Mom New Member

I was having that problem initially with the u40, but I started dry pumping the syringes a couple times, and then filling, and haven't had the problem since.

11. Blamethecats and Hannah

Good to know... and certainly worth a try. Thanks.

Frito's Mom likes this.
  12. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I get the Monoject from ADW through the site and I just haven't liked another syringe since learning on them. Gotten a couple other kinds to try with the fosters and I just go order my Monojects :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.