T4 test?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anyname, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyname

Anyname Member

Little Boy's T4 test result was nmol/L 17.9 (low Normal is 20 and High Normal is 45)

So what does a T4 measurement mean?

I am reading the info suggested but wondered what this means.

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

A t4 test is done to check for a condition called Hyperthryoidism. It's part of the senior panel at my vet's clinic.

A low measurement would be called Hypothyroidism and you may want to have that test rerun in a month or so and if it continues to show Hypothyroidism, then you should discuss meds with your vet. Hypert is more common and that's the one I'm more familiar with.

I think Hypot would lead to constipation, fatigue, weight gain. Basically the thyroid gland is not producing enough of the hormone. The thyroid gland controls a cat's metabolism, the speed at which the body converts food into energy (I think, hopefully others will correct me if I'm wrong). I think hypot means that your cat can't convert food into energy as well.

Any other signs? Weight gain, poor coat, itchy or flaky coat, fatigue? The condition can be easily treated with meds.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

To properly determine there are two tests that need to be run

1) T4 - which usually comes standard with blood panel work up
    2) Free T4 - a separate blood test that is not standard with the blood panel work up

It's both these tests combined that will tell you whether you have anything to be concerned about, or if you just need to be aware and re-test in 3-6 months.

4. Sophia

Sophia Well-Known Member

what about hyper-t... Sophia has that and she now lost a pound in a little over a month

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Sophia are you looking for information on HyperT? I mentioned Hypo-t originally because Little Boy's bloodwork:

"Little Boy's T4 test result was nmol/L 17.9 (low Normal is 20 and High Normal is 45) "

HyperT is more common.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.